GDT: Sens @ Devils 7PM

Devils01

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

"I am here because John Hynes think I am worse than those guys"

Image result for ty smith spokane chiefs

It is fair to point out that Vatanen being out of the lineup is definitely hurting right now. 

Also hope that this season is it for Mueller (he's only signed for this season).  I know technically he's gotten "only" 94 GP (playoffs included) as a Devil, defensemen take longer to develop, former 1st-round pick, etc..but it just didn't seem like it's ever going to happen with him.  And he'll be 25 in March...so he doesn't have the "still a kid" defense anymore.  I get taking a shot at a guy like him (especially when there wasn't much in the system at the time), but when it doesn't work out, be ready to move on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It is fair to point out that Vatanen being out of the lineup is definitely hurting right now. 

Also hope that this season is it for Mueller (he's only signed for this season).  I know technically he's gotten "only" 94 GP (playoffs included) as a Devil, defensemen take longer to develop, former 1st-round pick, etc..but it just didn't seem like it's ever going to happen with him.  And he'll be 25 in March...so he doesn't have the "still a kid" defense anymore.  I get taking a shot at a guy like him (especially when there wasn't much in the system at the time), but when it doesn't work out, be ready to move on.

Mueller's physicality is becoming more attractive lately which is one reason why I wouldn't mind if he stuck around and/or was re-signed, especially since we are pretty thin at D, but I also wouldn't mind if he was let to walk after this year.  To be honest, I think he's perfect for where he was, as a 6th/7th d-man, occasionally cracking the lineup when guys are banged up and what not.

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Not looking for one timers, but more of the get the puck and then wire a snap/wrister top shelf like he did so often in 17-18. And he did a lot of that from the right side. To me, he looks incredibly awkward on the left, as if a lot of the passes handcuff him, then he has to get back to the strong side of his stick to get it moving again. The team as a whole is slow to move the puck on the PP The past few games and teams are getting more and more aggressive towards the puck carrier. I think if we’d move hall to the other circle, his ease of shooting, again not one timers, should open some space as teams have to account for a faster shot from him. Just my take.

He played both sides that year - I've looked at some highlights from that year and he was on the right sometimes and on the left other times.  I like him better on the left given that they have Hughes to play the right side now, but I agree he looks awkward over there.

I just want to say I appreciate this forum because it’s good to know that others are miserable and pissed off about this team like I am. Our media does a crappy job and doesn’t vent for us, and most people in this state don’t even know what sport the devils play. So, it’s nice to know there is a place where our common frustration can be said. Because we have all been suckers and chumps giving our support to these losers.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He played both sides that year - I've looked at some highlights from that year and he was on the right sometimes and on the left other times.  I like him better on the left given that they have Hughes to play the right side now, but I agree he looks awkward over there.

Yeah and after I replied to you, @Neb00rs posted in the other thread that Hall had over 3/4s of his goals from the other side. Clearly my memory was skewed from that season.

Maybe put him on the second unit and back to that side? Try to get that second unit going and let the first roll

23 minutes ago, devlman said:

I just want to say I appreciate this forum because it’s good to know that others are miserable and pissed off about this team like I am. Our media does a crappy job and doesn’t vent for us, and most people in this state don’t even know what sport the devils play. So, it’s nice to know there is a place where our common frustration can be said. Because we have all been suckers and chumps giving our support to these losers.

The episode of Impractical Jokers that they filmed at the Rock that year was on right after the game... I was so mad at the team I couldn’t even watch for laughs... lol

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

The dexterity (idk, handed-ness?) of the players is far more important on the power play wings of a 1-3-1 than it is 5v5. Hall is a great player and he even looks lost on the left flank of the PP. His only play is cross ice to Hughes because he's not a huge threat to shoot from the wing right now.

At the NHL level, every day players are at least capable of using their backhand to catch a break out pass as a winger, but on the PP it's different. At lower levels, it's supremely helpful to have lefties on the left wing and righties on the right for just this reason, the breakout. We know Mike Babcock is obsessive with this regarding his defensemen too. On the PP, though, Hall's left handedness on the right side slows down his ability to make plays, even if only be milliseconds. Unfortunately, that's the difference between scoring and not.

10 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

The dexterity (idk, handed-ness?) of the players is far more important on the power play wings of a 1-3-1 than it is 5v5. Hall is a great player and he even looks lost on the left flank of the PP. His only play is cross ice to Hughes because he's not a huge threat to shoot from the wing right now.

At the NHL level, every day players are at least capable of using their backhand to catch a break out pass as a winger, but on the PP it's different. At lower levels, it's supremely helpful to have lefties on the left wing and righties on the right for just this reason, the breakout. We know Mike Babcock is obsessive with this regarding his defensemen too. On the PP, though, Hall's left handedness on the right side slows down his ability to make plays, even if only be milliseconds. Unfortunately, that's the difference between scoring and not.

I don't buy this for the very simple fact that in 17-18, he played over there with great success.  He has typically not been a huge producer on the power play, perhaps he was not the focal point of past power plays, but in 17-18 they put him over there and he had his best numbers and the Devils' power play was also pretty decent, which is the more important thing.

He's also shot plenty from over there.  I think Simmonds being where he is is not necessarily helping - Simmonds used to play in the left wing corner on the Flyer power play, but that doesn't really work with how the Devils have it set up right now.  But even still, Palmieri is sometimes an option for him from there, as are Simmonds' tips.

Fair enough. You don’t have to buy it due to his past success, but the ideal candidate in the traditional setup on that side is right handed, regardless. It’s not just because of the success that Ovi has had in that spot, but because it keeps the puck away from the PKers without the wing having to use his backhand or hinge (which is what Hall does constantly). 

Perhaps you’re right, though, that the way Simmonds and Palmieri are being used is impacting the looks that Hall gets from over there. 

The undeniable fact is that it’s not working right now. They had their chances last night without any success and IIRC one of the PP’s didn’t generate a single SOG. Not unheard of, but undeniably disappointing.

Edited by NLinfante

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Mueller's physicality is becoming more attractive lately which is one reason why I wouldn't mind if he stuck around and/or was re-signed, especially since we are pretty thin at D, but I also wouldn't mind if he was let to walk after this year.  To be honest, I think he's perfect for where he was, as a 6th/7th d-man, occasionally cracking the lineup when guys are banged up and what not.

Physicality? Are we watching the same player? The big headed bastard #25? Cause that dude is definitely not physical out there. He’s another Brian Boyle, but worse, because he doesn’t score goals, or bring a veteran presence. 

I'm going to preface this by saying that I do think Hall should be playing his off wing on the PP.

I do see what they are doing though in the sense that Hall has to open his body to receive the pass, but once he gets it at the top of the circle, he faces the net and slides down through the circle.  This gives him a decent angle to shoot, he also has the ability to pass the puck across the slot, and it keeps his body between the puck and the defenseman.  You need to have a wicked wrister to wire past the goalie from there, but I think it helps having the angle to pass it either backdoor to whoever is down low or, if it's open, across to Jack (like when he scored his first goal vs Vancouver).  Once he starts gliding from top of the circle he has a couple options and can look across and shoot or sell the shot and no look pass it across. 

Playing the off wing gives a great shooting opportunity but if the PK is aggressive, it's difficult to protect and hold onto the puck too long with your stick in the center of the ice.

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Physicality? Are we watching the same player? The big headed bastard #25? Cause that dude is definitely not physical out there. He’s another Brian Boyle, but worse, because he doesn’t score goals, or bring a veteran presence. 

He throws a good hit and maybe pushes someone once per game. That’s really about all he brings to the team, aside from someone being able to utilize the largest size helmet available. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He throws a good hit and maybe pushes someone once per game. That’s really about all he brings to the team, aside from someone being able to utilize the largest size helmet available. 

I’ve seen very few “good hits” out of him. 

Other than Subban (who’s not doing enough of it himself), does anyone on this team actually hit people? Miles Wood, maybe, but man this team makes it easy to play against them a lot of nights. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d really pretty much give anyone in Albany a chance at this point. Tennyson isn’t doing much.  I can’t say Blackwood was not at fault on that first goal, he’s got to get to the post and he didn’t, but Tennyson was standing right there and couldn’t neutralize his man. He was completely ineffective. 

Fitz, totally agree, Tennyson big time passenger

4 hours ago, devlman said:

Totally understand Dano and Sal towing the Company line. But they need to have a little chat with some of these guys, and let these kids have an ear full. This D is horrible. 

Do the advanced stats support my eyes in that PK is just not getting it done in his own end?  It seemed like he was lost last night especially on the gwg. He too is a part of the problem, a guy who's just not living up to the expectations. He does seem to be ok at missing the net and drilling the goalie in the chest when the shot is on goal. Come on man, step up for more than a game here and there.

I believe this may have been talked about in the past, aren't Cangi and Co employed by MSG and not the team.

Edited by titans04

51 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I'm going to preface this by saying that I do think Hall should be playing his off wing on the PP.

I do see what they are doing though in the sense that Hall has to open his body to receive the pass, but once he gets it at the top of the circle, he faces the net and slides down through the circle.  This gives him a decent angle to shoot, he also has the ability to pass the puck across the slot, and it keeps his body between the puck and the defenseman.  You need to have a wicked wrister to wire past the goalie from there, but I think it helps having the angle to pass it either backdoor to whoever is down low or, if it's open, across to Jack (like when he scored his first goal vs Vancouver).  Once he starts gliding from top of the circle he has a couple options and can look across and shoot or sell the shot and no look pass it across. 

Playing the off wing gives a great shooting opportunity but if the PK is aggressive, it's difficult to protect and hold onto the puck too long with your stick in the center of the ice.

I agree. The hard part is Hughes is in that role right now, and I'm not sure if there is a spot better suited for him. Maybe, maybe not; I'm not an NHL coach. 

The hinge that Hall has been running isn't particularly new, but it's a modification of the 1-3-1 that Tampa (I think) brought into the league and that Washington sort of perfected with Ovi and Backstrom. That hinge can work, but it also helps to have a net front player spread to the puck side on the end line for another outlet if the shot or cross-ice pass isn't there for Hall when he attacks the seam/net. The wing can then cut towards the net on a give and go and cycle back if the puck returns to the point. I believe it could work, it just doesn't seem to right now.

For simplicity's sake, the goal of a PP is to have the puck, shoot the puck, and then get the puck back by outnumbering. I guess my biggest problem is that they're not having success with the current system but it seems like they constantly run the set through Hall on the left side although the PP is 28th in the league and looking ugly. Maybe Palms would have success on that flank as a shooter since that's what he does best? I'm as frustrated as anyone else watching is struggle.

Palms should be on the left board for at least one of the PP units.. and simply for his one timer in the ovie position.. palms is dreadful on the right half-board,  Hughes or zacha handle pressure better, although Hughes passing has been weak from there. But it doesnt look like theyre interested in setting up palms..Subban should stay at right point. Hall misses the net too much to be the main guy.

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I've seen him use the body a few times recently.  Maybe not as much as we'd like, but it seemed like he was getting more comfortable using his size.  He also didn't hesitate to get into a scuffle with Wood as they double-teamed a player last game in a post-whistle scrap.  That was nice to see.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:44 PM, sundstrom said:

tonight was the night. after 20 years - tonight was when i finally said - that's it on seasons. i have the rest of the season to go but i can't do this anymore.

even if they had won this game tonight, it was the most boring slog i've ever seen. nobody wanted to be there. the sens. the devils. the fans - nobody. it was just not fun in any way.

but of course they didn't win. they lost - just like they've been losing all year and pretty much for the last 5 years aside from 2 years ago. it sucks, but the team is rotten.

taylor hall is as checked out as can be - between flying the zone - not back checking and waiting for a turnover at the blue line (which worked once in 5 tries and still he did nothing on the breakaway), and turning over the puck at every opportunity - he was just awful.

there were no legs on anybody tonight. how do you only put 24 shots on an ottawa team that consistenly yields the most shots in the league.

just gross - and so unbelievably upsetting. i wish i could just be numb to this but it still sucks to be so invested in this team when they don't give you anything to be excited for 6 weeks into the season.

I totally get it. I'm going to be renewing unless they raise the ticket prices to a ridiculous price. 

That being said I normally only miss 3-5 games a year because of other conflicts but with this season being over before October ended I've been trying to and selling any games I can get my money back for. I'm also going to use all 8 of my buybacks by cherry picking games that are on the higher tiers of pricing but that I would never realistically be able to sell for. At least that helps to get rid of a bunch of games even though it's still really hard to sell most games that aren't the Rangers or another marquee game. 

The atmosphere in the building absolutely sucks right now. Fans are miserable, people are barely showing up. It's absolutely pathetic and disappointing we went from that incredible atmosphere at the home opener to what we have now which is barely a month later. 

I know some will say gotta support the team and blah blah blah blah but it's so hard not to feel like we are being completely ripped off. I know there's no gurantee of winning anything but when the team has now missed the playoffs 7 of the past 8 seasons with only hosting 2 playoff games during that time frame and with it looking like no real success coming in the future it's so hard to not feel like we are wasting our money. Hell I'm not even expecting much, I thought this team would be a bubble team at best and they totally smashed my already lowered expectations by eliminating themselves from the playoffs before October ended. 

Compound that with being able to get into the building most nights for way cheaper than season ticket prices and it makes us look like even bigger dummys for supporting this trash. 

This is the first year since I've had full seasons, which I think I'm on 18 or 19 seasons now that I am actively looking to not go to games. The team was already bad enough with their play and the bs drama nonsense with Hall was the final nail in the coffin for me on checking out on this season. 

But hey at least if I renew they will only give me 1 new jacket/sweater/whatever apparel item for renewing even though I have multiple seats on my account. Absolute cheap skates with this topic. I've been beating the drum on this subject for years now and I just was assigned a new ticket rep that I haven't spoken to yet because my old one left. It's the #1 thing I complain about because it's the principle. I got a pair of sneakers per seat from the Red Bulls this season and those season tickets are dirt cheap. 

Still very sad to read this post and as livid as I am with this team right now I'll still be renewing unless they raised my tickets to an absurd level. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I totally get it. I'm going to be renewing unless they raise the ticket prices to a ridiculous price. 

That being said I normally only miss 3-5 games a year because of other conflicts but with this season being over before October ended I've been trying to and selling any games I can get my money back for. I'm also going to use all 8 of my buybacks by cherry picking games that are on the higher tiers of pricing but that I would never realistically be able to sell for. At least that helps to get rid of a bunch of games even though it's still really hard to sell most games that aren't the Rangers or another marquee game. 

The atmosphere in the building absolutely sucks right now. Fans are miserable, people are barely showing up. It's absolutely pathetic and disappointing we went from that incredible atmosphere at the home opener to what we have now which is barely a month later. 

I know some will say gotta support the team and blah blah blah blah but it's so hard not to feel like we are being completely ripped off. I know there's no gurantee of winning anything but when the team has now missed the playoffs 7 of the past 8 seasons with only hosting 2 playoff games during that time frame and with it looking like no real success coming in the future it's so hard to not feel like we are wasting our money. Hell I'm not even expecting much, I thought this team would be a bubble team at best and they totally smashed my already lowered expectations by eliminating themselves from the playoffs before October ended. 

Compound that with being able to get into the building most nights for way cheaper than season ticket prices and it makes us look like even bigger dummys for supporting this trash. 

This is the first year since I've had full seasons, which I think I'm on 18 or 19 seasons now that I am actively looking to not go to games. The team was already bad enough with their play and the bs drama nonsense with Hall was the final nail in the coffin for me on checking out on this season. 

But hey at least if I renew they will only give me 1 new jacket/sweater/whatever apparel item for renewing even though I have multiple seats on my account. Absolute cheap skates with this topic. I've been beating the drum on this subject for years now and I just was assigned a new ticket rep that I haven't spoken to yet because my old one left. It's the #1 thing I complain about because it's the principle. I got a pair of sneakers per seat from the Red Bulls this season and those season tickets are dirt cheap. 

Still very sad to read this post and as livid as I am with this team right now I'll still be renewing unless they raised my tickets to an absurd level. 

the stuff they give STH with how cheap tickets are on secondary market and how bad it has been to go to the games is making it less and less of a worthwhile proposition.

at a bare minimum, a full STH should get:

1 giveaway/seat guaranteed

$100 merch credit per seat per season

$100 food/beverage card per seat per season

Access to every Devils Player event.

PS - what Rep did they give you? For all the complaining I do about the team, I will say that I absolutely love my rep and actually consider him a friend and frankly, he is more of a reason i'd keep the seats than the team these days.

• Like 1