GDT: Devils vs Penguins, 15 Nov 19, 7pm Eastern

jagknife

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

No sports franchise "accepts" losing-- No matter how long they have been ass. It's a very strange perspective to have.

I’m not sure I agree with this. The NFL has revenue sharing, so teams can suck for decades and still rake in piles of money. My team (Bengals) haven’t won a playoff game since the early 90’s, and haven’t fundamentally changed the way they do things. I’d say that’s accepting losing. 

Edited by Nicomo

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

No sports franchise "accepts" losing-- No matter how long they have been ass. It's a very strange perspective to have.

Agree...the problem ATM is that Shero's "right now" moves haven't paid off yet (and of course Cory once again has gone into complete nonentity mode).  Not like Shero didn't try to put together a competitive team. 

I do think he's going to have to play the "Can the coach" very soon though, for this season to have any chance to be turned around. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m not sure I agree with this. The NFL has revenue sharing, so teams can suck for decades and still rake in piles of money. My team (Bengals) haven’t won a playoff game since the early 90’s, and haven’t fundamentally changed the way they do things. I’d say that’s accepting losing. 

I admit, I know nothing about football.

There is "accepting losing" and there is not having competent people, or people that care, running the show. Even if you have an owner who doesn't want to invest the money, like a Melnyk character, I don't think you can pin the faults of 1 guy on everyone that works for the team.

Arizona/Phoenix has sucked almost since they were brought into the league. When did they go from just "being bad", to "accepting losing", to now seemingly deciding to turn it around?  

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Unfortunately, though I think most franchises want to win and will try to make it happen, you have your fair share of them that are simply dysfunctional and incapable of ever getting out of their own way.  They're incapable of learning from their mistakes, and just keep on making them time and time again. 

The Wilpons are a shining example of bad owners who constantly trample over everything and poison their franchise, though I do think they want to win...sure, they're cheap now (they weren't always), but you don't always need to spend massive dollars to put together a winner.  But you've got "Born on third and thinks he hit a triple" Jeffy Wilpon insisting that he's a baseball man (even though he's one of the least respected men in MLB), with no one to stop him from meddling, so instead of him ever realizing that he's a huge problem and that the Mets need to hire a real baseball mind to build and sustain a team, you get a situations like a former agent trying to play GM, a pitching coach trying to play manager (at least that one's over), and situations where the Wilpons always do the wrong thing first, until the masses have to explain to them what the right thing is.  But they never learn or grow...they're forever stuck in idiotic neutral. 

I don't think this is where the Devils are...I think they had a GM who simply refused to take a detonator to what needed to be detonated, and whose years of bad drafting finally caught up with the on-ice product.  Enter Shero, who inherits little, but is able to start finding some pieces even though he doesn't have much in assets to deal.  He does get a couple of huge breaks in getting two #1 overall picks, but is also dealt a rotten one when his long-term, fairly pricey would-be #1 goalie sees his prime cut way short, and is no longer even remotely reliable.  After trying to put together just enough of a foundation, he does try to make some "right now" moves to make the Devils a playoff team, but it's just not coming together.  But it's not like ownership held him back, or hasn't tried to make the game and arena experience (off-ice) the best that it's ever been in Devils history.  I do think the franchise is invested in winning...it's just not going according to plan at the moment.

I am curious to see just how loyal Shero will be to Hynes in the end.  It does really feel like this can't go on much longer. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They ruined it by using that “overspray”. 

But not as bad as they ruined the Hockey Fights Cancer jerseys, they are downright awful. 

To be fair, after my last trip to the sandbox, over spray was a common theme for us when we left our mark where we were

i like it still haha

What would you do as a player on that team when you walk into that locker room?  I can’t even imagine what Jack is thinking other than, “I wish I wasn’t number 1 so I didn’t have to end up here since this team doesn’t care about losing”. What about Nico, he just signed for 7 more years.  He must be kicking himself right about now.

Seriously, what would your thoughts be as a player on that team?

13 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

What would you do as a player on that team when you walk into that locker room?  I can’t even imagine what Jack is thinking other than, “I wish I wasn’t number 1 so I didn’t have to end up here since this team doesn’t care about losing”. What about Nico, he just signed for 7 more years.  He must be kicking himself right about now.

Why would Nico kicking himself? Nothing changed since he signed. 

24 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I'd hope I'd walk up to a mirror because the results so far are just as much on me as a player than anyone else on the staff. First overall picks don't usually end up on perennial winners. That isn't how the system is designed to work.

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'd hope I'd walk up to a mirror because the results so far are just as much on me as a player than anyone else on the staff. First overall picks don't usually end up on perennial winners. That isn't how the system is designed to work.

Although if Ottawa had won the lottery.... holy sh!t would Colorado be insane...

36 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

He can't really say much, since he's one of the 18 players on the team that have been sucking.

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That might be but don’t you think players like P.K. and Nico are saying “we made these off season acquisitions that on paper appeared to put us in contention for a playoff spot but right now we’re on pace to have fewer points than last season, how the fvck did that happen?”  Right there, who do you go yell at as a player other than looking at yourself in that so called mirror.  P.K. has been playing pretty good in my mind as has Nico, he’s starting to pick it up.

Should they walk up to Ray and say “I’m not playing another shift until you get that a$$ clown behind the bench out of here”.  Similar to what Patrick Roy did in Montreal, although that was during a game.

What the hell will it take at this point?  How the hell do we help get rid of Hynes?  Start chanting “Fire Hynes” at every Devils game?  Jeez man, what the F needs to freaking happen at this point?  It’s so pathetic already.  Year after year, the same $hit, I’m almost nauseous writing this.  Watching them is almost as bad as what happened at the end of the Browns game last night.  Maybe the Devils should also be fined and suspended for their disgusting play.

3 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

That might be but don’t you think players like P.K. and Nico are saying “we made these off season acquisitions that on paper appeared to put us in contention for a playoff spot but right now we’re on pace to have fewer points than last season, how the fvck did that happen?”  Right there, who do you go yell at as a player other than looking at yourself in that so called mirror.  P.K. has been playing pretty good in my mind as has Nico, he’s starting to pick it up.

Should they walk up to Ray and say “I’m not playing another shift until you get that a$$ clown behind the bench out of here”.  Similar to what Patrick Roy did in Montreal, although that was during a game.

What the hell will it take at this point?  How the hell do we help get rid of Hynes?  Start chanting “Fire Hynes” at every Devils game?  Jeez man, what the F needs to freaking happen at this point?  It’s so pathetic already.  Year after year, the same $hit, I’m almost nauseous writing this.  Watching them is almost as bad as what happened at the end of the Browns game last night.  Maybe the Devils should also be fined and suspended for their disgusting play.

No, because you win as a team and you lose as a team. Hockey is the ultimate team sport. They should work together as a team and fix the issues. 

Hockey isn't basketball where you can just "LeBron James" it and complain/cry when things don't go your way because you are the entire team. 

30 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

No, because you win as a team and you lose as a team. Hockey is the ultimate team sport. They should work together as a team and fix the issues. 

Hockey isn't basketball where you can just "LeBron James" it and complain/cry when things don't go your way because you are the entire team. 

How much of this though are on the players and how much of it is on the coach (I use that term very lightly since he is anything but a reliable coach)?  Since they obtained better talent when the hell will it show?  Is the coach now preventing that talent from coming through?  I personally think other than 1 or 2 good defenseman the rest are mostly crap and they barely did anything to improve their D during the offseason, getting 1 player was never going to be nearly enough.  Just look at all the blown leads, not just this year but over the last 5+ years.  Have you ever seen a team blow a lead in the 3rd period more than them?  No, no you haven’t, you don’t even have to look it up.  I would guarantee anything if someone can find those stats the Devils are definitely on top of that list.  You almost always know it’s happening when there’s less than 2 mins left in a game with a 1 goal lead, no way anyone in here has any confidence that lead will remain.  This is def going back 5+ years.

1 minute ago, ajsgolf said:

How much of this though are on the players and how much of it is on the coach (I use that term very lightly since he is anything but a reliable coach)?  Since they obtained better talent when the hell will it show?  Is the coach now preventing that talent from coming through?  I personally think other than 1 or 2 good defenseman the rest are mostly crap and they barely did anything to improve their D during the offseason, getting 1 player was never going to be nearly enough.  Just look at all the blown leads, not just this year but over the last 5+ years.  Have you ever seen a team blow a lead in the 3rd period more than them?  No, no you haven’t, you don’t even have to look it up.  I would guarantee anything if someone can find those stats the Devils are definitely on top of that list.  You almost always know it’s happening when there’s less than 2 mins left in a game with a 1 goal lead, no way anyone in here has any confidence that lead will remain.  This is def going back 5+ years.

Who is blowing the leads, the guys on the ice or the coaches? There is enough blame to go around. Unless you are COMPLETELY without sin, don't cast the first stone. Everyone plays a part.

As far as staff issues, what are the players supposed to do? Form a coup de'tat and throw Ray and Hynes out of the building and lock the doors? Ridiculous. They probably don't even share the same sentiments as us fans anyway. There is a reason we have never heard of hockey players running into coaches and GM's offices complaining that they got the bait and switch. It doesn't happen.

The players are probably demoralized, but I highly doubt they're turning on each other, whispering things behind other's backs, pointing fingers behind closed doors, and have hot-takes for an Uber driver's hidden video since they are all just as much to blame as anyone else. ALL OF THEM. None of them have been perfect.

17 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Hard to watch zajac`s pregame interview. May be he`ll down his salary and win his cup in 4th line.

White`s mustaches are the best from this no shave november. Hilarious. 

LGD!

Unless he wants to, and they want him, I only see him leaving us for the Jets to be a bottom 6 guy.

I have a feeling he's a Devil for life, and hope he wants to be as well.

• Like 1