GDT: Devils vs Penguins, 15 Nov 19, 7pm Eastern

jagknife

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

With the amount of games we have been losing, I could give a sh!t less if we have a “bad win”. But, that said, Blackwood stepped up like a good player does. Coleman made another crazy effort, 90% of our roster never gets the second shot on that play, let alone score the goal. 

We got the job done, period. I will take that every night, please. 

If we're ten games above .500 I could care less too, but being ten games below .500, a bad win doesn't exactly engender confidence that they're going to suddenly go on the type of run they need to make this season relevant.  Especially going on the road tonight against a tough team, having to play Blackwood again because the other goalie is patentely useless and hopeless.  There's only so many times you can ask Blackwood to do last night.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This is the response to *winning* a game. 

his response is understandable, really. Normally I would have the same response as you here but if you watched this game you know the only reason they even had a relative chance was because of 29. The players know it as well by the responses they gave during the post game. I still can't help but to look at this roster and just not understand why they are having such a hard time.. on paper it sounds like something to finally be excited about but on ice... I don't need to say anymore.

• Like 4

This team is unable to take control of a game. That's why even when they get a lead they can't close the door. They always leave it cracked for the other team to claw their way back into the game. They have no killer instinct. There were games in the past where some nights you just know after the first period that the other team just doesn't have a chance. That hasn't happened since the second period of game 1. This reminds me of those old Devils teams you knew were fvcked once they went down by two, because you knew they'd never come back... Except now it's when they're up by two and you know they're going to hand it away. It's not skill, they're in their own heads. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Good news is they are great at getting leads. It's the keeping them part that doesn't work. 

The leads are nice, but the lack of goal scoring is a bit of a concern. In our last 6 GP we’ve scored 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2. 

I understand our defense (and to an extent goaltending) is an issue, but we should be a better offense than that. Only CBJ have scored fewer on the season. 

Edited by Nicomo

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The leads are nice, but the lack of goal scoring is a bit of a concern. In our last 6 GP we’ve scored 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2. 

I understand our defense (and to an extent goaltending) is an issue, but we should be a better offense than that. 

Doesn’t help when one of our key additions offensively is useless outside the shootout because he looks like he’s never played above juniors without the puck and our key addition defensively who was supposed to add to the offense has been a $9 million bust. Not to mention the guy who wants more money than that having two lousy goals and being 0-7 on breakaways.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Doesn’t help when one of our key additions offensively is useless outside the shootout because he looks like he’s never played above juniors without the puck and our key addition defensively who was supposed to add to the offense has been a $9 million bust.

Gusev has scored 4 goals in 15 GP. That’s more than Hall, Nico, Zacha, Simmonds, Zajac, or Wood have. He’s hardly “useless.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Gusev has scored 4 goals in 15 GP. That’s more than Hall, Nico, Zacha, Simmonds, Zajac, or Wood have. He’s hardly “useless.”

It’s more evidence of the NJDevs tradition of stating popular opinions that actually have no basis, but if people say them enough, the board starts to believe them.

Given that the team has been performing like sh!t, Gusev’s performance is on par with everyone else. If we were in first place, Hall had 10 goals, Nico had 7, etc., maybe then he could be criticized. 4 goals and two shootout goals in the first 15 games of his NHL career is ok. Not great, but ok. If he was an 18 year old kid instead of a KHL veteran, I’d be thrilled. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

When you give up a lot more goals than you score, can't get more than twelve minutes a night (frequently less) and can't be trusted in any type of a close game late because you do everything BUT score poorly, that's useless.  And even the scoring isn't all that great.  He was supposed to be a top six forward, has 6 points in 15 games and a ton of shifts like the one on the goal against he basically caused last night.  Gusev was so bad he was dragging Bratt down early in the season too, little coincidence Bratt's picked it up since he got put on another line.

Hall for all his ills has at least had a PPG, Nico, Zajac and Zacha can do things on the other side of the puck, Simmonds has made a contribution.  It's a poor comparison to a couple of empty goals.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The question was whether I could blame anyone for their ridiculous negativity following a bad win (worst win, actually, like that’s a thing).  

My response was, essentially, yes, I can. 

Agreed, it felt like they might collapse but they didn’t. Instead they pulled out a one goal win in a low scoring game against a better team (albeit an injured one). That’s the “worst win”? Hardly. 

They won because of stellar goaltending and nothing else. Not sure why you think people are upset over the result. No one is upset over the result, that would be stupid. Being upset at the manner they backed into a win is a different story. It’s the same manner that’s given them problems all year, and it reared it’s ugly head again last night. The only difference was their goalie stood on his head. So yeah being critical of how they played even after a win is a thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yeah you said you can question negativity following a win. Which you sure can. But negativity following a win is certainly a thing this team can make one have.

This is the most negative message board I’ve ever been on, so I agree completely. 

5 hours ago, devlman said:

They won because of stellar goaltending and nothing else. Not sure why you think people are upset over the result. No one is upset over the result, that would be stupid. Being upset at the manner they backed into a win is a different story. It’s the same manner that’s given them problems all year, and it reared it’s ugly head again last night. The only difference was their goalie stood on his head. So yeah being critical of how they played even after a win is a thing.

How 'bout all the games they lost playing well enough to win, scoring many goals but the goaltenders couldn't stop a beach ball?

I know you're frustrated from the accumulation of losses but if you're gonna take away their credit when they are winning and playing bad. You should at least give them credit when they played well and lost... or else you're just being negative cause you like that lol

the whole "they keep blowing leads" is attributed to the whole team while it was often our goalies unable to fvcking stop a beach ball.

Edited by SterioDesign