2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

It would be quite a gift that Detroit would draft him as it would open up possibilities for us and i dont think Cole was the right fit for us anyway.

I'd pick Drysdale, Rossi, Raymond or Holtz before him. Then if they go... then we'd have to pick between 2 of those 4 vs picking whichever remains at 7

So what happens to the lineup if we draft Rossi?  I think it's a fair question to ask after drafting two 1OA centers.  Would Rossi play 3rd line with Zacha on a wing and Travis in the 4 spot?  I know it's cart before the horse conversation but I have nothing better to do.

19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

So what happens to the lineup if we draft Rossi?  I think it's a fair question to ask after drafting two 1OA centers.  Would Rossi play 3rd line with Zacha on a wing and Travis in the 4 spot?  I know it's cart before the horse conversation but I have nothing better to do.

would make sense to switch him to the wing. He could probably develop into our own version of Mitch Marner

Like I said if we will draft him, and I think we will, I will his number one fan after that.

scouching is a great youtuber with great analysis. And I like his stream too, because he gave more context. But I recommend watching the shift by shift video at least. Look at stat and on partners. For example there are a lot highlight video of zary, but his shift by shift video reveals the dark side of his game. He play with top partners and he is overeager. Greig is a far better option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Like I said if we will draft him, and I think we will, I will his number one fan after that.

scouching is a great youtuber with great analysis. And I like his stream too, because he gave more context. But I recommend watching the shift by shift video at least. Look at stat and on partners. For example there are a lot highlight video of zary, but his shift by shift video reveals the dark side of his game. He play with top partners and he is overeager. Greig is a far better option. 

ah you mean like PK Subban? lol

That's literally it though haha people see his highlights and man is he ever exciting with his spinoramas. But when you actually watch him play full games on a regular basis...

57 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah you mean like PK Subban? lol

That's literally it though haha people see his highlights and man is he ever exciting with his spinoramas. But when you actually watch him play full games on a regular basis...

I think perreault can be the subban guy, if we talk about subban how you see him. Not about subbans funny talks, more about play of course. But he has potential to be the best scorer in our team. 

Zary isn't flashy in any aspects, he has bad skating and he doesn't create much dangerous chances in his line. When we talk about line with three good players - that may be a red flag. He isn't good and he isn't accurate in passes. I think he has big potential to be a good third line player, but he hasn't enough in his bag to be the first line player. 

Greig will be Gallagher type of player. And he is young, he has 30 points in his last 20 games. And he can take 90-100 points next season easily. In the same age like Rossi, Zary or other overagers. For a guy who will be picked in 22-44 range. It could be a classic steal. 

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I say put him on Jack’s wing just to see @Guadana have a meltdown. :P

Is it possible to rotate him at C rather than moving him to a wing? I'm not sure if that helps or hurts developing at that level. Skilled centers are so coveted it would be a shame to just throw that away having him at wing full time. It can only benefit NJ to have 3 elite centers that can slot into basically any spot in the lineup. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Is it possible to rotate him at C rather than moving him to a wing? I'm not sure if that helps or hurts developing at that level. Skilled centers are so coveted it would be a shame to just throw that away having him at wing full time. It can only benefit NJ to have 3 elite centers that can slot into basically any spot in the lineup. 

Ultimately though, you can’t waste an elite centerman on a third line. You’d also have to give the ice time and wingers needed to keep him happy. You’d also end up spending a lot on a third liner. Best to shift him to wing.

3 hours ago, devlman said:

Ultimately though, you can’t waste an elite centerman on a third line. You’d also have to give the ice time and wingers needed to keep him happy. You’d also end up spending a lot on a third liner. Best to shift him to wing.

I wouldn't put him on a real 3rd line in any traditional sense. I would cycle him at center and wing to get the best match up I can. The traditional idea of line numbers being an indication of overall value and ice time isn't as apt as it was in previous eras. Most teams now roll 4 lines that can be dangerous, or at least 3 with 1 shutdown line. 

Imagine having 3 elite centers for your powerplay/pk units or being able to cycle into your top 2 wing pairs one of 3 elite centers to shake things up and keep the other team on their toes. It just makes more sense to go with what makes you more versatile when you lose nothing for doing so. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I could just assume he'll be a bust but then what's the point of even having the discussion? 

I’m not saying to assume that, but how can anyone assume he’s going to be so elite that he can’t play on the third line? I can think of a certain #6 OA center that demonstrates that ain’t always true. 

36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying to assume that, but how can anyone assume he’s going to be so elite that he can’t play on the third line? I can think of a certain #6 OA center that demonstrates that ain’t always true. 

We were discussing where he might fall in the lineup and what you do when you have 3 top centers. It's just more fun in the context of the conversation to do so with the assumption the player reaches their potential.

Are we at a point where we have to be as depressing in conversing about hypothetical situations as we are in reality about this team?(lol) It's possible he never plays a single NHL game let alone becomes a 3rd line player. I don't think anyone is doubting that possibility. Just about eveyone who posts here with regularity is aware of how well this team has drafted over the last decade +. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Ofc you just never know but here are their respective stats their draft years:

Zacha - 51 GP 28 G 36 A 64 P

Rossi - 56 GP 39 G 81 A 120 P

Rossi is on a whole other level compared to Zacha as far as prospects go. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Worked out pretty well the last time we did...

image.jpeg.2f13852cf99365dd5f73494801c8416e.jpeg

Yep.

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ofc you just never know but here are their respective stats their draft years:

Zacha - 51 GP 28 G 36 A 64 P

Rossi - 56 GP 39 G 81 A 120 P

Rossi is on a whole other level compared to Zacha as far as prospects go. 

Personally I don’t see him being available at 7 anyway, but I guess we’ll see.