2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

On 9/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, mfitz804 said:

Are we at a point where we are going to assume that a guy we draft at #7 OA is going to be an “elite center”?

I would feel a whole lot better w/ Byfield being "elite" the Rossi. At the end of the day, some will be happy, others will say we missed the boat. In the end, our scouts did their homework. They know a lil more than we do. Can't wait for 10/06.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I would feel a whole lot better w/ Byfield being "elite" the Rossi. At the end of the day, some will be happy, others will say we missed the boat. In the end, our scouts did their homework. They know a lil more than we do. Can't wait for 10/06.

that's the problem though. The scouts didn't get to finish their homework, cause hockey stopped suddenly

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

that's the problem though. The scouts didn't get to finish their homework, cause hockey stopped suddenly

I would argue the opposite though. The scouts have all had plenty of time they wouldn't normally have to review videos of all the players & so should have a very informed opinion. I'm pretty sure Fitz said he'd been at home watching videos of prospects as well which is a luxury he probably doesn't get to do very much of in normal circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I would argue the opposite though. The scouts have all had plenty of time they wouldn't normally have to review videos of all the players & so should have a very informed opinion. I'm pretty sure Fitz said he'd been at home watching videos of prospects as well which is a luxury he probably doesn't get to do very much of in normal circumstances.

I mean some crucial part of players evaluation is during the playoffs and how they close their seasons. Also world championship. You see a lot of players either rise or fall during that time, every year. Now we didn't get that cause the players literally didnt play. So who's the potential risers and who could have dropped?

A few seasons ago if the season would have been cut short, we'd have Nolan Patrick right now, think about that lol

• Like 1

Final wish list. Only posting this so that I can look back at how wrong I am. (assumes Byfield/Stutzle go 2/3). 

1. Rossi- Lots of talk of having 3 centers and I know he is a natural center, but his 2-way game (have read by prospect writers that he is an elite defensive forward), creative, wall work, and strength (everyone says he's small but stout/tough..some comparisons to marchand) would look great on jack's wing. His strengths seem to compliment some of jack's weaknesses and even though he's small he would bring some toughness to jack's line while still adding creativity/skill to the line too. 

2. Perfetti- don't have the same degree of negativity as the board seems too from what I've read. Similar to above he's a player with two way skills with great hockey sense that sees the game well. Rankings seem to differ on his shot from bad to elite, so not really sure on that, but he seems like a guy who would compliment Hughes OR Nico and just up the creativity of the forward group. Being able to run out creative wings who can slow the game down and create space sounds good to me. Think about what bratt/gusev did together with zacha. Having creative wings who can control pace is underrated with how fast the game goes these days. 

3. Holtz - desperately needed scorer who also plays with a little weight. 

4. Raymond - dazzling playmaker natural RW. 

5. Drysdale - Best D-man and the teams biggest need. Definitely wouldn't be sad if he makes it to 7 and this is the pick just wouldn't be my first pick going in.

At 18 and 20: Use one pick on a projectable Defenseman (Schneider/Guhle) and then the other on someone who could be a star but has warts that scare people off (thinking Lapiere/Gunler/Poirier or the diminutive Emil Andrea). Think if we use all 3 first rounders 1 needs to be swinging for a HR and not caring if it whiffs. We have so many prospects projected to top out at the depth level that it wouldn't be a terrible loss to have 1 miss at 18 or 20. 

• Like 1

Jack Quinn, who trains with #NJDevils prospect Graeme Clarke, says he was interviewed by the Devils twice in recent months. The two have spoken “a lot” about playing together and are best friends. The Devils have multiple first round picks and clear connections with the 67’s.

Really interesting, especially after Devils not sign Hoelshier.

First Raymond`s goal in his first SHL game this season. Stickhandling, skating, starting speed, accurate passing, great shot. If Yzerman will decide to pick Rossi, and D will gone, we have a great option.
Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

Can't wait for 10/06. Told the bride I'll (i will invite her,  but she'd rather watch "say yes to the dress") be in front of the screen, popcorn, adult beverages etc.  Whomever they select at 7, I'll likely say, "you're f'ing kidding me".  Then not long afterwards, the pissing/moaning. Should woulda coulda

• Like 1

Askarov is the kind of pick a team like Carolina can afford to make. They’re super close, and might be a goalie away. 

We need way too much help to be gambling on a Russian goal in the top 10. If he falls to 18 (he won’t) sure, but #7 needs to be a forward with top 6 or a Dman with top pairing potential. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Askarov is the kind of pick a team like Carolina can afford to make. They’re super close, and might be a goalie away. 

We need way too much help to be gambling on a Russian goal in the top 10. If he falls to 18 (he won’t) sure, but #7 needs to be a forward with top 6 or a Dman with top pairing potential. 

Come on man, I’m bored, say something for me to disagree with!!!! Lol