2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Some are saying Rossi could be in the league next year. So if we draft him... maybe?

He’s supposedly the most NHL ready after Laf, so it’s certainly possible. I doubt he’s there at 7 anyway though. 

I really think both dmen and Rossi will be gone when we pick. Which in that case I hope we take Raymond. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s supposedly the most NHL ready after Laf, so it’s certainly possible. I doubt he’s there at 7 anyway though. 

I really think both dmen and Rossi will be gone when we pick. Which in that case I hope we take Raymond. 

i'm gonna have to admit that i most likely dug to see every possible mock draft under the sun. And i'll say that Rossi is our pick in a vassst majority of them

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm gonna have to admit that i most likely dug to see every possible mock draft under the sun. And i'll say that Rossi is our pick in a vassst majority of them

Let’s hope all the Perfetti to Detroit rumors are true. That would mean we’re guaranteed one of the dmen or Rossi. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

Apparently Elliotte Friedman is hearing from multiple teams they wouldn’t be shocked for us to pick Askarov at 7... can we just draft already...

Not the first source says this. Fitz constantly claims that he will take the best regardless of the position. Castron added fuel to the fire.
I wonder if this could be a provocation on the part of our management.

I'm afraid of taking Russians overall. They stay over there, playing on big ice surface. Come here & need a good long while to adjust. Look at how many KHL guys we're signed over the years, & none worked out.  (lone exception is if they're already playing here (CHL/USHL)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm afraid of taking Russians overall. They stay over there, playing on big ice surface. Come here & need a good long while to adjust. Look at how many KHL guys we're signed over the years, & none worked out.  (lone exception is if they're already playing here (CHL/USHL)

This is the price you are willing or not willing to pay for an over-the-top player. Tampa did not(all teams in the league do) regret with Kucherov, Carolina with Svechnikov, Phily with Provorov, and Chicago probably still regrets the trade of Panarin. But there is always a chance that the player will be Nichushkin, Burmistrov or Yakupov.

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

This is the price you are willing or not willing to pay for an over-the-top player. Tampa did not(all teams in the league do) regret with Kucherov, Carolina with Svechnikov, Phily with Provorov, and Chicago probably still regrets the trade of Panarin. But there is always a chance that the player will be Nichushkin, Burmistrov or Yakupov.

well its not always cause they are russians... * points at Conte's selection over the last 2 decades *... see... lots of bust from allllllllllllll nationalities in there :P

• Like 1

It’s not a matter of being a bust that worries me with Russian players, it’s the uncertainty of how long it takes to actually get them over here. And a goalie will take even longer than a skater.  Shesterkin is already 24 and he just this season played in his first NHL games. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s not a matter of being a bust that worries me with Russian players, it’s the uncertainty of how long it takes to actually get them over here. And a goalie will take even longer than a skater.  Shesterkin is already 24 and he just this season played in his first NHL games. 

Yeah, it's crazy to think he was drafted in 2014.  I thought he was younger.

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well its not always cause they are russians... * points at Conte's selection over the last 2 decades *... see... lots of bust from allllllllllllll nationalities in there :P

I admire how long you held back =-D

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

yap. That`s true. In Russia, they have a great opportunity to earn real money with their talent. And then, if something goes wrong in NHL, come back for a good contract. Professional hockey career is short.

7 hours ago, Guadana said:

I mentioned players already playing in No. America. Svetchnikov played for Barrie and Muskegon, Provorov played in the Dub. That was the exception I was talking about.  We were lucky to get Maltzev to come over.  Russian players do not want to play in the AHL.  they rather play in KHL.   i'll bet if someone looked into it, how many Russian players Devils drafted over the the years & never showed. i don't have the energy.  we got to kiss someone behind to play here? 

17 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I mentioned players already playing in No. America. Svetchnikov played for Barrie and Muskegon, Provorov played in the Dub. That was the exception I was talking about.  We were lucky to get Maltzev to come over.  Russian players do not want to play in the AHL.  they rather play in KHL.   i'll bet if someone looked into it, how many Russian players Devils drafted over the the years & never showed. i don't have the energy.  we got to kiss someone behind to play here? 

We haven't drafted many, least in the last 10 years. Traded Rykov but he came over, Maltsev came over, Popaguev came over, Zaitsev too early to tell - but how often would a 7th rounder be signed/come over anyway?

11 hours ago, Guadana said:

I`m ok with picking potential vezina winner, but now we have one. 

I reallllllllly think we need to lower our expectations with blackwood lol We've seen wayyyyyyyyyy too many goalies been good 1-2 years then fall off the face of earth

edit: also honestly what did i held back on my other post? lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Kucherov, Tarasenko, dadonov, kuznetsov, Gusev spent some time in Russia after draft. Some Swedes played in Sweden. it's normal to grow up in more pleasant conditions in more competent League and still have better perspectives  for a good contract if Nhl trip will not successful.

I'd rather wait four years for Khusnutdinov, but I'll get an explosive all-round smart forward for 20th pick, but who's asking me.

Edited by Guadana

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I reallllllllly think we need to lower our expectations with blackwood lol We've seen wayyyyyyyyyy too many goalies been good 1-2 years then fall off the face of earth

edit: also honestly what did i held back on my other post? lol

Blackwood has toooo maaaanyyyyy chances for vezina than Askarov because he showed good results in bad team in two seasons. Askarov spent 3-4? professional games. 
im ok with drafting him, just not by 7th pick. if our Duo was Corey and Kinkaid , then Askarov should have been drafted. There are ton of Russian talented goalies in later rounds.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Blackwood has toooo maaaanyyyyy chances for vezina than Askarov because he showed good results in bad team in two seasons. Askarov spent 3-4? professional games. 
im ok with drafting him, just not by 7th pick. if our Duo was Corey and Kinkaid , then Askarov should have been drafted. There are ton of Russian talented goalies in later rounds.

I'm not sure if that's a good point. I mean, Askarov is said to be the best goalie prospect since Carey Price, some say he's even better than Price was at the same age. Is there a chance that he doesn't pan out? sure. There's many examples of that. But is there a chance that Blackwood's play falls off a cliff? Too many people believe he's officially the real deal but we still don't know that.

Think back in 2016. It would have been a no brainer to say "I'd take Schneider over Carter Hart in a heartbeat. Corey has proven to be super solid in front of a bad team 2 years in a row. Hart didn't prove anything yet... he's projected to be a top goalie but who knows"

Of course that's cherrypicking to make a point, but the point is that it's happening often.

So i really wouldnt necessarily say that Blackwood has more chances at a Vezina than Askarov. But if you look at where they were at the same age. Askarov is years beyond what Blackwood was.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not sure if that's a good point. I mean, Askarov is said to be the best goalie prospect since Carey Price, some say he's even better than Price was at the same age. Is there a chance that he doesn't pan out? sure. There's many examples of that. But is there a chance that Blackwood's play falls off a cliff? Too many people believe he's officially the real deal but we still don't know that.

Think back in 2016. It would have been a no brainer to say "I'd take Schneider over Carter Hart in a heartbeat. Corey has proven to be super solid in front of a bad team 2 years in a row. Hart didn't prove anything yet... he's projected to be a top goalie but who knows"

Of course that's cherrypicking to make a point, but the point is that it's happening often.

So i really wouldnt necessarily say that Blackwood has more chances at a Vezina than Askarov. But if you look at where they were at the same age. Askarov is years beyond what Blackwood was.

Our "new Corey" is 10 years younger like in good old days. And devils have a lot of problems. And we still have a bunch in later rounds. Vasilevskiy is a great goalie. One of the best. Better than Khudobin, but the difference doesn't affect the game as much. And i`m not against Askarov, just not by 7th. I think Askarov is a better option for 5th of Ottawa than for 7th of devs.

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Funny you mention Carter Hart...are you just as uncertain whether or not he’s a legit starter at the NHL level? Because him and Blackwood have almost identical numbers:

Mac - 70 GP 32 W 24 L 8 OT 2.77 GAA .916 SV%

Hart - 74 GP 40 W 26 L 4 OT 2.59 GAA .915 SV%

All I hear is what a stud Hart is, and how Philly has finally found their goaltender. And he doesn’t play behind a defense that’s total dog sh!t...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Funny you mention Carter Hart...are you just as uncertain whether or not he’s a legit starter at the NHL level? Because him and Blackwood have almost identical numbers:

Mac - 70 GP 32 W 24 L 8 OT 2.77 GAA .916 SV%

Hart - 74 GP 40 W 26 L 4 OT 2.59 GAA .915 SV%

All I hear is what a stud Hart is, and how Philly has finally found their goaltender. And he doesn’t play behind a defense that’s total dog sh!t...

I don't know but he may also fall off the face of earth suddenly like many other good goalies, that's just my point. I just used him as an example cause he was fitting in the time frame i was using. Anyone would pick him right now vs Schneider. But when he was drafted Schneider was in his prime.

Many top goalies playing in front of the same team suddenly started sucking, we've seen it so often. Some came back, some didn't. That's why Marty has always been impressive. He may not have been the best goalie every season, but you knew what you were getting with him.

• Like 1

Puck daddy, (Greg Wyshynski ESPN big Devils fan for years) really wants us to pick Askarov at 7.  Him & Boomer had a discussion on this subject,  & made very good sense/points. I know many Devs fans would go berserk, but I'd be fine with this if it happened.