2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

A couple of reviews of Shakir ('cos I'll remember how to spell Mukhamadullin about as much as Dano can say it) as I'd never heard of him before Fitz called his name.

https://thehockeywriters.com/shakir-mukhamadullin-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2020/05/05/shakir-mukhamadullin-scouting-report-2020-nhl-draft-27/

It seems his contract in the KHL runs through the 2021/2022 season by which time he should have gained a lot more KHL experience and improved his game. Having read up on the guy I'm cautiously optimistic about the pick.

• Like 3

I was watching his games this season. I’m not so high on him. He isn’t play well against pressure. And he is left handed. I’m absolutely sure Fitz should go out from this first round draft with d, and shakir was fifth on his list.
On the other side Shakir will play against man in very good organization for developing. He will have good challenge and situation will ask him to be better. He is high and strong good skaters or his size. So maybe we will surprised. But for me he is look like another Castrons late first rounder.

I was making 30 big reviews for our Russian devils community, who can be our pick in first round and shakir wasn’t on that list. He was the most surprising pick for me in first round.
_______

Mercer is a great pick. and i think - better than Holtz for this position.
I dont like Holtz pick positionally. What? WTF you say? I`ll try to ask your question.
Mercer was available for 18 pick. With 7th pick we can trade back and take Jarvis, may be Quinn if devs get some luck, but i dont think we have because best three players went 4,5,6. We can take Amirov or Reichel on the left side, take Mercer after, and Perrault(or Bourque) in the end of the round. And we still have 20th pick. Calgary made  trade down and WSH made trade up. We should make trade down and take Shakir after. And after we have another chance for one of the prospect who is still available. There are  enough good prospects in second round. More than enough.
I`m really not very happy with how devs goes through the first round if we talk about tactics. We could end it with LW Amirov(or RW Jarvis), RW Mercer and RW Perreault, LD Shakir and someone from second round like potential bomb Marat. 
But we end it with RW Holtz, Mercer and Shakir. Ok. This is still good. Holtz and Mercer are very good needs picks. 

• Like 4

I like that Mercer can slide over & play C if needed. Trav's not going to be here forever. On Shakir, the Devs are projecting what he's going to be in a couple years. I get nervous about whether Russian players  choose not to come over. And, I think they should cut their teeth in NA, not on big ice surface.

6 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I like that Mercer can slide over & play C if needed. Trav's not going to be here forever. On Shakir, the Devs are projecting what he's going to be in a couple years. I get nervous about whether Russian players  choose not to come over. And, I think they should cut their teeth in NA, not on big ice surface.

No they shouldnt. Only when they will available for AHL. KHL is much better and harder league for young player. 

Mukhamadullin plays on the same team as 2006 Devil's draft pick Vladimir Zharkov. 

I was a big fan of Sharky back in the day. Maybe we got some inside intel there as well. 

14 games played , 6 points as a defender at 18 in the KHL is nothing to sniff at. 

Also some really good insight here:

"Shakir Mukhamadullin - 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile" https://thehockeywriters.com/shakir-mukhamadullin-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Specifically references the fact that a team with multiple first round selections may take a risk as the reward is so high. 

Really hoping this is not another Eric Gelinas type of pick.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Mukhamadullin plays on the same team as 2006 Devil's draft pick Vladimir Zharkov. 

I was a big fan of Sharky back in the day. Maybe we got some inside intel there as well. 

14 games played , 6 points as a defender at 18 in the KHL is nothing to sniff at. 

Also some really good insight here:

"Shakir Mukhamadullin - 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Profile" https://thehockeywriters.com/shakir-mukhamadullin-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Specifically references the fact that a team with multiple first round selections may take a risk as the reward is so high. 

Really hoping this is not another Eric Gelinas type of pick.

But that run when he got miracle goals, and then netted us draft picks....

gross, I just referenced draft picks...

After having another beer after that 20th pick and shutting things down here, I thought about something to try and calm myself down. Tonight's draft SHOULD be complimentary parts for this team turning some corner and these guys slot in 3-5 years down the road to help fill the voids from veteran guys we should be signing short term starting Friday.

I honestly went to bed with the feeling of the scene in 'A Few Good Men' where Demi Moore goes desperate trying to strike the Doctor's testimony from the record, Kevin Pollak and her have a fight, then after things calm down, he says "Forget about the doctor, this trail starts Monday."

Well NJDevs, forget about the draft, Fitz's true test starts Friday...

Edited by jagknife

After today the waiting game begins. I can’t say anything about the picks because I’m not a scout. Right now I’m excited because they could all be amazing players.

I love new toys and have the patience of a 5 yr old, but I hope the new regime doesn’t rush any of them. Man this teams gonna stink for another couple years, I think that’s the worst part. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, devlman said:

Love the pick. Love all selections. Holtz has an absolutely lethal shot. Pencil him for 30 goals a year when he makes the show. 

As for Shakir - he’s a high risk, high reward type of pick - exactly the type of pick you make at #20 and your third pick of the round.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

After today the waiting game begins. I can’t say anything about the picks because I’m not a scout. Right now I’m excited because they could all be amazing players.

I love new toys and have the patience of a 5 yr old, but I hope the new regime doesn’t rush any of them. Man this teams gonna stink for another couple years, I think that’s the worst part. 

There's about to be a handful of panic buyouts, I personally don't care if the guy is "past his prime" or "doesn't fit the timeline" but if you can put the puck in the net, or conversely prevent the other team from getting good shots on Mac, your phone better be lighting up with Fitz's number come Friday.

• Like 2

Just now, Nicomo said:

@Guadana

how rare is it to play in the KHL at 17 as a defenseman? 

it`s very rare. How do you think what KHL coaches hate to do the most? yes. use young players. 
Shakir has a lot of problem, but he is good skater for his size, he has size and he has time to develope against men in high level competition. If he will play in KHL all the time he will be better. Salavat is a great organisation to grow.

• Like 1

At least Mercer is playing right now in the Q, Holtz in the SHL, and Shak in the K --- while the OHL isn't. I think them not being invited to camp plays into all of that. We don't know what this season will be, as much as I'd love to see them both around- can wait likely the one season. All three, I believe, will be at WJC i imagine?

59 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I would like to direct everyone to this post. It has made history.

For the first time in the creation of the forum njdevs.com, someone has said “maybe i was wrong.” instead of tripling down on their point.

this is a day that will live in the history books of this great forum. 

:)

You are 100% wrong and here's why...

57 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Rumors that Vegas is offering a 2nd + MAF for a 7th (and retaining 50% of his salary). This is the kind of move Detroit has been doing and needs to be something the devils are all over. It’s money for a draft pick; spend it.

And then you do what with Schneider? Binghamton? Buyout?

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don't give a crap about Schneider. The Devils are currently 6 million below the cap floor and 27 below the ceiling. They can afford to pay a goalie $5m in bing. 

I didn't say we couldn't, I was asking for what you were proposing. I agree with it. 

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A choice of what? He doesn't have an NMC/NTC. 

According to CapFriendly, he has a Modified NTC. I read elsewhere he has a list of 10 teams he cannot be traded to. 

Odds on favorite that NJ is on that list.