2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

High scoring Center for his high school team, headed for UConn. I guess if he ever plays for us, not a bad use for a 5th.

Led his HS team in scoring last year 26G, 52A in 46 games. Previous year was 90 points in 56 games, second on the team to first rounder Brandon Brisson.

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Seems like they just had called a timeout cause that took awhile. 

How many time outs do they get? Last night Toronto ran out of time and they were just like "ok, you have to pick or call a time out". Running out of time meant absolutely nothing. 

Edited by mfitz804

I wanted amirov - guy from salavat, reichel - german guy, trade for bad contract for 2nd round for mysak - guy from czech rep, another young russian guy from junior league.
Now i have guy from salavat, one german, one czech, one junior "russian".

twist of fate

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Jamie Langenbrunner’s son Mason was drafted by Boston in the 5th. Man I’m getting old lol. EDIT: Brian Rolston’s kid too-  drafted by Colorado, also in the 5th, a few picks before Langs Jr. 

wow i havent thought ot Langenbrunner in awhile... trying to remember his face, Ben Shapiro's face came to mind first. Weird. They do kind of look alike though lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

this is what shakir mukhamadullin said when being interviewed by his club in the khl, hc salavat

🗨️Shakir Mukhamadullin: “I didn’t expect to be chosen under number 20”

Salavat defender commented on the first round of the NHL 2020 draft that ended tonight.

“I am very happy with the club that chose me! New Jersey is one of the best organizations and teams in the league. I am happy to be part of their family! "

- Did you follow the draft progress ?
- Woke up early in the morning before the draft. I followed every pick, I am very happy for all Russian players, and especially for Rodion Amirov. I was very worried. To be honest, I didn’t expect to be chosen under the 20th number, my heart beat very quickly. I was delighted and realized that in a couple of hours I was already for training (smiles).

- Whose congratulations were the first?
- Since the draft took place in Canada, the broadcast was a little late. Simultaneously with the words that I was drafted, agents from Canada called and congratulated, and then relatives and friends.

- What will change for you now?
- I think that there will be an incentive to train even more and work on yourself. And so now all forces and thoughts are directed to the current season, the goal is the Gagarin Cup!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grcenter47 said:

this is what shakir mukhamadullin said when being interviewed by his club in the khl, hc salavat

🗨️Shakir Mukhamadullin: “I didn’t expect to be chosen under number 20”

Salavat defender commented on the first round of the NHL 2020 draft that ended tonight.

“I am very happy with the club that chose me! New Jersey is one of the best organizations and teams in the league. I am happy to be part of their family! "

- Did you follow the draft progress ?
- Woke up early in the morning before the draft. I followed every pick, I am very happy for all Russian players, and especially for Rodion Amirov. I was very worried. To be honest, I didn’t expect to be chosen under the 20th number, my heart beat very quickly. I was delighted and realized that in a couple of hours I was already for training (smiles).

- Whose congratulations were the first?
- Since the draft took place in Canada, the broadcast was a little late. Simultaneously with the words that I was drafted, agents from Canada called and congratulated, and then relatives and friends.

- What will change for you now?
- I think that there will be an incentive to train even more and work on yourself. And so now all forces and thoughts are directed to the current season, the goal is the Gagarin Cup!

He may be a decent hockey player but he's a terrible liar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Not as much as Marchand tho lol

Wonder if rats ever accuse each other of looking too Marchand-like.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Still sitting over here annoyed that we passed on Rossi.

I won't beat this dead horse much longer but.. man.  That one is going to come back to bite us imo.

If Holtz becomes a perennial 30 goal guy like he’s projected to, I won’t care. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Still sitting over here annoyed that we passed on Rossi.

I won't beat this dead horse much longer but.. man.  That one is going to come back to bite us imo.

Having two centers drafted #1 overall already here made adding yet another center kind of iffy.  I'm not going to lie, I wanted Rossi too, and my initial reaction to Holtz was "Ah fvck".  But Holtz better fits what the Devils need...especially if the idea is to keep Hischier and Hughes here for many years.  I know one can make the argument that Rossi could've been shifted to wing, but I like the fact the Holtz is already a wing and has a hell of shot.  Hischier and Hughes are going to need some guys who can finish.  

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Holtz becomes a perennial 30 goal guy like he’s projected to, I won’t care. 

Yeah, as long as he becomes what we hope he can, I definitely won't be in "But look what Marco's doing!" mode.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4