2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

41 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Luke Hughes. 

Better to be Brandt Clarke, but if he isn`t available - Luke Hughes is great option. He has hands, iq and skating  in tradition of his family, but he is taller, thats better for me.

Edited by Guadana

i mean... the whole Luke Hughes thing...

okay let me go back first...

I see that we're all ready to make plans around Jack to the point of trying to get his little brother.. just so that eventually maybe we can get the other brother here too etc etc... I know for some it's maybe not that... 100% serious. But i still think we need to be careful here lol I'm personally still not 100% sold on the Hughes family.

But i think we need to wait and see how it's playing out first. I see a lot of "we're set at center for the next decade"... well... are we really? Jack has tons of potential but he still hasn't proven much. Well it's painful to admit but he proved to be the worst first overall in recent history (production wise), which sucks. But we still don't know how it's going to pan out. RNH was also supposed to be a franchise center the Oilers needed and all that, had an IQ similar to Gretzky they said... well RNH is still a good hockey player but he's certainly not a franchise saviour or something they are really building around. Oilers wouldnt be where they are now with RNH instead of either McDavid or Draisitl. Jack could still be that obviously but we still need to see that. Then it's kind of the same thing with nico... will he be a really special player like Bergeron for example or he'll be more of a sort of... Zibanejad or Couturier... which is really good player but not good enough to carry a franchise. 

And i'm still not fully sold on the Hughes family after just one year either. I mean, Q was absolutely amazing this year in the season AND the playoffs, a true monster offensively. He looks like he'll be amazing for years. But it's also pointed out that he's not great defensively. And that's what we've heard many times before with guys like.. Gostisbehere, Tyler Myers, etc etc... Had an AMAZING first year and everyone were drooling to get them but then their career kind of went down in the next few years when they were given more responsability and that they were not as sheltered in their roles. So i'd be a little cautious until we see more of those guys 

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i I see a lot of "we're set at center for the next decade"... well... are we really? Jack has tons of potential but he still hasn't proven much. Well it's painful to admit but he proved to be the worst first overall in recent history (production wise), which sucks. But we still don't know how it's going to pan out. 

I get in trouble every time I say this lol. People are giving himself top 6 center role for the next 10 years based on a flat out abysmal season. 

Do I HOPE he can be our top center for 10 years? Sure. Has he shown me that he will? Sorry, absolutely not. Maybe it’s not reasonable to expect it, given his age. 

This year will mean a lot. You saw how much Nico improved year 1 to 2. And I think Nico’s first year would’ve been a turd without Hall. If Jack comes into camp 10 pounds heavier and looking a little less like a 14 year old, I’ll be pretty happy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean... the whole Luke Hughes thing...

okay let me go back first...

I see that we're all ready to make plans around Jack to the point of trying to get his little brother.. just so that eventually maybe we can get the other brother here too etc etc... I know for some it's maybe not that... 100% serious. But i still think we need to be careful here lol I'm personally still not 100% sold on the Hughes family.

But i think we need to wait and see how it's playing out first. I see a lot of "we're set at center for the next decade"... well... are we really? Jack has tons of potential but he still hasn't proven much. Well it's painful to admit but he proved to be the worst first overall in recent history (production wise), which sucks. But we still don't know how it's going to pan out. RNH was also supposed to be a franchise center the Oilers needed and all that, had an IQ similar to Gretzky they said... well RNH is still a good hockey player but he's certainly not a franchise saviour or something they are really building around. Oilers wouldnt be where they are now with RNH instead of either McDavid or Draisitl. Jack could still be that obviously but we still need to see that. Then it's kind of the same thing with nico... will he be a really special player like Bergeron for example or he'll be more of a sort of... Zibanejad or Couturier... which is really good player but not good enough to carry a franchise. 

And i'm still not fully sold on the Hughes family after just one year either. I mean, Q was absolutely amazing this year in the season AND the playoffs, a true monster offensively. He looks like he'll be amazing for years. But it's also pointed out that he's not great defensively. And that's what we've heard many times before with guys like.. Gostisbehere, Tyler Myers, etc etc... Had an AMAZING first year and everyone were drooling to get them but then their career kind of went down in the next few years when they were given more responsability and that they were not as sheltered in their roles. So i'd be a little cautious until we see more of those guys 

Unfortunately, or fortunately, we can't allow conclusions to be drawn without letting Hughes play with good partners, without letting Hisсhier play without pressure of the only capable devils player at both ends of the ics.
You can sit for a long time and fart to yourself with the words "well, where?", and you can soberly look at things. McKinnon didn't immediately play the way Colorado fans wanted him to. RNH is not the best center in the world, but he is a good second line center. If Hughes plays at this level, we will still be in the game. Edmonton's problem is heavy contracts, lack of a defensive line and svck in two-way game. And the goalkeeping issue is also worth considering.
Now devs will need to spend several years to understand what works, which players are signaling their potential, and whether their problems can be fixed.
We just hit rock bottom. This team is at least three years away from actually forming the core of the team and understanding who this core is. I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs in that time. I just wouldn't bet money on it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get in trouble every time I say this lol. People are giving himself top 6 center role for the next 10 years based on a flat out abysmal season. 

Do I HOPE he can be our top center for 10 years? Sure. Has he shown me that he will? Sorry, absolutely not. Maybe it’s not reasonable to expect it, given his age. 

This year will mean a lot. You saw how much Nico improved year 1 to 2. And I think Nico’s first year would’ve been a turd without Hall. If Jack comes into camp 10 pounds heavier and looking a little less like a 14 year old, I’ll be pretty happy. 

oh i know lol i read it all. lol

But if we're honest. It's your own damn fault for using common sense, trying to be rational about something and dare challenging the popular narrative that the majority blindly believe cause they WANT to believe it.

Emotions and common sense is like milk and lobster.. doesn't go well together.

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, we can't allow conclusions to be drawn without letting Hughes play with good partners, without letting Hisсhier play without pressure of the only capable devils player at both ends of the ics.
You can sit for a long time and fart to yourself with the words "well, where?", and you can soberly look at things. McKinnon didn't immediately play the way Colorado fans wanted him to. RNH is not the best center in the world, but he is a good second line center. If Hughes plays at this level, we will still be in the game. Edmonton's problem is heavy contracts, lack of a defensive line and svck in two-way game. And the goalkeeping issue is also worth considering.
Now devs will need to spend several years to understand what works, which players are signaling their potential, and whether their problems can be fixed.
We just hit rock bottom. This team is at least three years away from actually forming the core of the team and understanding who this core is. I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs in that time. I just wouldn't bet money on it.

I'm really curious. Is this something you actually do?

But you're right. But this can go both ways.. You can have MacKinnon who took about 4-5 years before he became a true #1 guy.. and did he ever. But the team had terrible years while he was struggling to get it together. But then there's other center like Galchenyuk in MTL.. he was FINALLY the big center they've been waiting for since Koivu left. But we all know how that turned out. So you never know until you know...

I mean... MacKinnon and Drouin were both projected to be fvcking insane. But Drouin still hasnt really pan out either. You just never know

• Like 1

The team felt good enough about both Jack and Nico to pass on Rossi for a scoring winger, so they obviously aren’t too concerned about it. Idk being “set for the next decade” but Nico has already proven he’s a top 6 Center, and I expect Jack will within the next couple years.

He’s not Pavel Zacha. There’s just way too much skill there for it to not translate. The thing that literally everyone seems forget when discussing Jack is it was predicted (correctly) that he was going to take a little more time to fully develop than the more physically mature players that come in that young. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But if we're honest. It's your own damn fault for using common sense, trying to be rational about something and dare challenging the popular narrative that the majority blindly believe cause they WANT to believe it.

You come up with the weirdest sh!t. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not what they’re basing it on. They’re basing it on him being a first overall pick and the history of those picks, as well as all the scouting reports and what we’ve seen with his tremendous skill and skating.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It’s true, anyone who disagrees with you doesn’t use common sense and likes to follow narratives like sheep. You do hear yourself, right?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

It’s true, anyone who disagrees with you doesn’t use common sense and likes to follow narratives like sheep. You do hear yourself, right?

I'm so glad i was able to give you the opportunity to get this off your chest. Sure sound like it's something that's been boiling for awhile. You're welcome.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I'm so glad i was able to give you the opportunity to get this off your chest. Sure sound like it's something that's been boiling for awhile. You're welcome.

Haven’t thought twice about it until you started prattling off this nonsense ten minutes ago

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

Haven’t thought twice about it until you started prattling off this nonsense ten minutes ago

What non-sense? lol Look around society right now. We're seeing the exact pattern i mention through EVERYTHING. Look at 2 groups with different perspectives on ANYTHING communicate right now. It's a bloodbath and if you're in the minority with an opinion, good fvcking luck. No matter what side, subject or group we're talking about. Try being the one pro-life in a group of pro-choice people or vice-versa. Let me know how much fun that was and how much common ground was found then lol

But hey take it personal and sh!t a brick if you feel like it, it's friday after all. 

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

That’s not what they’re basing it on. They’re basing it on him being a first overall pick and the history of those picks, as well as all the scouting reports and what we’ve seen with his tremendous skill and skating.

Which means he *could* wind up being good. Or he could be a giant bust like other first overall picks. 

I’m not saying sit around and say he’s a bust, I’m saying don’t go 100% the other way and name him the cornerstone of our franchise for the next 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Which means he *could* wind up being good. Or he could be a giant bust like other first overall picks. 

I’m not saying sit around and say he’s a bust, I’m saying don’t go 100% the other way and name him the cornerstone of our franchise for the next 10 years. 

Again, idk about “the next 10 years” but the people who’s jobs depend on it (mainly Fitz) have named him, Nico, and Mac, as the core they’re planning to build around going forward. So is not just fans being hopeful or whatever. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well of course nothing is ever certain. But he’s close to it. He’s 99% going to be the face of the franchise. We have to plan for that outcome. And for the sake of discussions on the team future, it’s a very reasonable and probably assumption to make of him.

• Like 1