2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Apparently Elliotte Friedman is hearing from multiple teams they wouldn’t be shocked for us to pick Askarov at 7... can we just draft already...

The reaction to that on the board would be.... interesting. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for asking! i’m 100% now, and my wife never tested positive.

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me. Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in hi

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Good lord that would be a meltdown, and rightfully so.

Yeah you can’t take a goalie 7th. It would be very difficult to justify that, no matter how highly thought of Askarov is. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah you can’t take a goalie 7th. It would be very difficult to justify that, no matter how highly thought of Askarov is. 

Not in this draft, anyway. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Also, if you use a lottery pick on Askarov, you’re basically telling Blackwood ‘you’re nothing but a place-holder’. It would be franchise malpractice on several levels, and if it happens, well.... 

359134BF-62AD-41E8-A2BA-0D6D3BAFE36C.gif

Askarov is the kind of pick a team like Carolina can afford to make. They’re super close, and might be a goalie away. 

We need way too much help to be gambling on a Russian goal in the top 10. If he falls to 18 (he won’t) sure, but #7 needs to be a forward with top 6 or a Dman with top pairing potential. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Askarov is the kind of pick a team like Carolina can afford to make. They’re super close, and might be a goalie away. 

We need way too much help to be gambling on a Russian goal in the top 10. If he falls to 18 (he won’t) sure, but #7 needs to be a forward with top 6 or a Dman with top pairing potential. 

Come on man, I’m bored, say something for me to disagree with!!!! Lol

On 9/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, Nicomo said:

Well, purchasing new toys anyway. Probably won’t get to play with them for a year or two. 

Some are saying Rossi could be in the league next year. So if we draft him... maybe?

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Some are saying Rossi could be in the league next year. So if we draft him... maybe?

He’s supposedly the most NHL ready after Laf, so it’s certainly possible. I doubt he’s there at 7 anyway though. 

I really think both dmen and Rossi will be gone when we pick. Which in that case I hope we take Raymond. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s supposedly the most NHL ready after Laf, so it’s certainly possible. I doubt he’s there at 7 anyway though. 

I really think both dmen and Rossi will be gone when we pick. Which in that case I hope we take Raymond. 

i'm gonna have to admit that i most likely dug to see every possible mock draft under the sun. And i'll say that Rossi is our pick in a vassst majority of them

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'm gonna have to admit that i most likely dug to see every possible mock draft under the sun. And i'll say that Rossi is our pick in a vassst majority of them

Let’s hope all the Perfetti to Detroit rumors are true. That would mean we’re guaranteed one of the dmen or Rossi. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, jagknife said:

Apparently Elliotte Friedman is hearing from multiple teams they wouldn’t be shocked for us to pick Askarov at 7... can we just draft already...

Not the first source says this. Fitz constantly claims that he will take the best regardless of the position. Castron added fuel to the fire.
I wonder if this could be a provocation on the part of our management.

I'm afraid of taking Russians overall. They stay over there, playing on big ice surface. Come here & need a good long while to adjust. Look at how many KHL guys we're signed over the years, & none worked out.  (lone exception is if they're already playing here (CHL/USHL)

• Like 1

Yeah I'm with all you guys, if they take a goalie at #7 I'll riot.  And by riot, I mean get real pissy, rant on here and /r/Devils for a few hours and then stew for a while.

I refuse to let myself worry about it.  It would be SUCK a stupid pick.

44 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm afraid of taking Russians overall. They stay over there, playing on big ice surface. Come here & need a good long while to adjust. Look at how many KHL guys we're signed over the years, & none worked out.  (lone exception is if they're already playing here (CHL/USHL)

This is the price you are willing or not willing to pay for an over-the-top player. Tampa did not(all teams in the league do) regret with Kucherov, Carolina with Svechnikov, Phily with Provorov, and Chicago probably still regrets the trade of Panarin. But there is always a chance that the player will be Nichushkin, Burmistrov or Yakupov.

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

This is the price you are willing or not willing to pay for an over-the-top player. Tampa did not(all teams in the league do) regret with Kucherov, Carolina with Svechnikov, Phily with Provorov, and Chicago probably still regrets the trade of Panarin. But there is always a chance that the player will be Nichushkin, Burmistrov or Yakupov.

well its not always cause they are russians... * points at Conte's selection over the last 2 decades *... see... lots of bust from allllllllllllll nationalities in there :P

• Like 1

It’s not a matter of being a bust that worries me with Russian players, it’s the uncertainty of how long it takes to actually get them over here. And a goalie will take even longer than a skater.  Shesterkin is already 24 and he just this season played in his first NHL games. 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s not a matter of being a bust that worries me with Russian players, it’s the uncertainty of how long it takes to actually get them over here. And a goalie will take even longer than a skater.  Shesterkin is already 24 and he just this season played in his first NHL games. 

Yeah, it's crazy to think he was drafted in 2014.  I thought he was younger.

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well its not always cause they are russians... * points at Conte's selection over the last 2 decades *... see... lots of bust from allllllllllllll nationalities in there :P

I admire how long you held back =-D

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

yap. That`s true. In Russia, they have a great opportunity to earn real money with their talent. And then, if something goes wrong in NHL, come back for a good contract. Professional hockey career is short.