2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

19 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Puck daddy, (Greg Wyshynski ESPN big Devils fan for years) really wants us to pick Askarov at 7.  Him & Boomer had a discussion on this subject,  & made very good sense/points. I know many Devs fans would go berserk, but I'd be fine with this if it happened.

To use a top 10 pick on a goalie that won’t be here for years when we have huge needs all up and down the roster would be criminal. I’d want Fitz gone the next day. 

• Like 3

THN mock has us taking Sanderson at 7 (over Drysdale and Rossi), Rodion Amirov at 18, and Hendrix Lapierre at 20. It has Askarov going 5th to Ottawa. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft?fbclid=IwAR0ulLmYtOGmIKZO-QXTiCIcDKGk3V26NgWB2RjVfjRFQjY_yh8aWPGwI9Y

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

THN mock has us taking Sanderson at 7 (over Drysdale and Rossi), Rodion Amirov at 18, and Hendrix Lapierre at 20. It has Asksrov going 5th to Ottawa. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft?fbclid=IwAR0ulLmYtOGmIKZO-QXTiCIcDKGk3V26NgWB2RjVfjRFQjY_yh8aWPGwI9Y

Oof. I’m really high on Sanderson, but over those two? Idk about that. The amount of second guessing for the foreseeable future would be unbearable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

THN mock has us taking Sanderson at 7 (over Drysdale and Rossi), Rodion Amirov at 18, and Hendrix Lapierre at 20. It has Asksrov going 5th to Ottawa. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/2020-first-round-mock-draft?fbclid=IwAR0ulLmYtOGmIKZO-QXTiCIcDKGk3V26NgWB2RjVfjRFQjY_yh8aWPGwI9Y

I would take Sanderson but maybe not over Rossi. It's so sh!t that those picks from Arizona and Vancouver slid back so much. At one point we could have had 7th , 9th and 12th. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Sanderson has really grown on me since I started watching more videos on him. He's advertised as a stay at home guy, but his offensive upside is so underrated. Not only is he a great skater, but his passing and vision are quite impressive. You see him joining the rush quite often, and making really nifty plays to set up some goals. He initially seemed like a Larsson type of pick to me, but he's got a lot more to his game than Larsson ever did. He has got that nice combination of skating/size/work ethic/physicality too. I would be happy with Sanderson for sure.

Also, if Gunler is available at 20, he's got to be the guy. Tons of talent, and he doesn't seem that far from putting it together.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If the goalie goes before us, that means a dynamic forward will be available at 7.

If we take Sanderson over said forward... man I'll be pretty pissed. But what do I know?

It all depends on what the Devils’ board looks like. Fitz said they’ll take the BPA regardless of position.

There are far too many dynamic forwards to go with Sanderson or Drysdale - guys who aren’t projected to be true number 1 defensemen. I’m hoping for Rossi or Holtz, and if we can trade one of the 18 or 20 picks to move up and grab Askarov then that would be a tremendous haul.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Guys get fired for doing that in the workplace these days.

Depends on which side of the fence you're standing on though.

We've seen left-wing celebrities or politician getting away with murder while the mob is going full force on someone else doing the same exact thing. Gotta love the hypocrisy and double standards we're seeing these days haha

If Sanderson is available, there is not even a discussion for me. One good defender - 1/6 of all questions about defense. The devils couldn't get out of their zone last season. We couldn't meet the opponent on the blue line. If the devils want to build a winning team, they should take Sanderson. His floor with his shot down ability and his skating - second pair and 18-20 min per game, PK. His ceiling is a Hedman without the same piercing shot. But the chance that Detroit or Anaheim will pass seems doubtful.

36 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If Sanderson is available, there is not even a discussion for me. One good defender - 1/6 of all questions about defense. The devils couldn't get out of their zone last season. We couldn't meet the opponent on the blue line. If the devils want to build a winning team, they should take Sanderson. His floor with his shot down ability and his skating - second pair and 18-20 min per game, PK. His ceiling is a Hedman without the same piercing shot. But the chance that Detroit or Anaheim will pass seems doubtful.

Where have you seen that his ceiling is that of a Hedman? Everything I’ve read has him as a top 4 defenseman with a ceiling to of a 1b kind of guy if everything goes right for him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Sanderson is certainly one of the prospect i wish had a full season cause his production was starting to come together. Hard to say if it was just a streak or if his game was just coming together.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Where have you seen that his ceiling is that of a Hedman? Everything I’ve read has him as a top 4 defenseman with a ceiling to of a 1b kind of guy if everything goes right for him.

He is a perfect shot down defenseman with pretty good skating and speed. But if you trak his second half of last season  - he made much of good entrances. He move puck pretty accurately, he has a better stats than Heiskanen at the same age and looks better defensivly. He is still young for that draft class. He is almost a year younger than Rossi. He is a pretty accurate puckmoving defenseman with great skating and excellent defensive game. This is exactly the type of defensmen that winning teams are built around. If he isn`t take his ceiling he will be a pretty good at shotdown role. There are always not enough such players. Especially a team that can't play defense at all.

I read a lot of different opinions. I think it would be better to decide by yourself after watching some highlights or shift by shift videos. Bad thing i didnt find full shift by shift video with him, but i see a lot short videos from different draft analisys videos. This is not a guarantee, but journalists write different things, bloggers say different things, I just draw my own a conclusion. The devils have built their success around defensemen who don't let anyone play and can help their team. In the last ten years, only Crosby and Malkin have been able to take the Cup without a strong defense. Anyway I think Yzerman or Murray will draft him. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

He is a perfect shot down defenseman with pretty good skating and speed. But if you trak his second half of last season  - he made much of good entrances. He move puck pretty accurately, he has a better stats than Heiskanen at the same age and looks better defensivly. He is still young for that draft class. He is almost a year younger than Rossi. He is a pretty accurate puckmoving defenseman with great skating and excellent defensive game. This is exactly the type of defensmen that winning teams are built around. If he isn`t take his ceiling he will be a pretty good at shotdown role. There are always not enough such players. Especially a team that can't play defense at all.

I read a lot of different opinions. I think it would be better to decide by yourself after watching some highlights or shift by shift videos. Bad thing i didnt find full shift by shift video with him, but i see a lot short videos from different draft analisys videos. This is not a guarantee, but journalists write different things, bloggers say different things, I just draw my own a conclusion. The devils have built their success around defensemen who don't let anyone play and can help their team. In the last ten years, only Crosby and Malkin have been able to take the Cup without a strong defense. Anyway I think Yzerman or Murray will draft him. 

Analysis on Sanderson from Pronman and Wheeler:

Pronman (midseason – outside the top 23, final – 10): “He has skill and can make a very good first pass, but I wouldn’t call him a dynamic playmaker. His production may not ‘wow’ you, but he had a strong NTDP campaign points-wise relative to other top defensemen at his age historically, especially since he didn’t have a U18 World Championship to compete in and he’s a very young 2002 birth date.”

Wheeler (midseason – 25, final – 17): “Where some scouts feel he has the potential to become a first-pairing defenseman, I have some reservations. … Sanderson projects more as a well-rounded second-pairing defender for me and I will track his collegiate career closely to see if he can change my mind.”

He sounds like a good player and he could be improving as seen with his recent surge, but still not someone i’d spend the 7O on. My two cents.

9 hours ago, devlman said:

There are far too many dynamic forwards to go with Sanderson or Drysdale - guys who aren’t projected to be true number 1 defensemen. I’m hoping for Rossi or Holtz, and if we can trade one of the 18 or 20 picks to move up and grab Askarov then that would be a tremendous haul.

Drysdale could end up being the next Cale Makar and Sanderson could be the next Miro Heiskanen. They both absolutely have sky high potential. 

I would take either one over Holtz, and not think twice about it. 

45 minutes ago, devlman said:

Analysis on Sanderson from Pronman and Wheeler:

Pronman (midseason – outside the top 23, final – 10): “He has skill and can make a very good first pass, but I wouldn’t call him a dynamic playmaker. His production may not ‘wow’ you, but he had a strong NTDP campaign points-wise relative to other top defensemen at his age historically, especially since he didn’t have a U18 World Championship to compete in and he’s a very young 2002 birth date.”

Wheeler (midseason – 25, final – 17): “Where some scouts feel he has the potential to become a first-pairing defenseman, I have some reservations. … Sanderson projects more as a well-rounded second-pairing defender for me and I will track his collegiate career closely to see if he can change my mind.”

He sounds like a good player and he could be improving as seen with his recent surge, but still not someone i’d spend the 7O on. My two cents.

Wheeler has funniest rating. Schneider in ... where? In the middle of second round? Stutzle is seven in his rating. Ok. He buy me. You will see how he will not have anything with reality. 
I can`t dispute with Pronman in any of his words. I can't argue with Pronman in any of his words. Only one thing - General managers rate  higher on Sanderson`s bright side. Where Pronman had Seider last year? And Broberg?

Edited by Guadana

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Drysdale could end up being the next Cale Makar and Sanderson could be the next Miro Heiskanen. They both absolutely have sky high potential. 

I would take either one over Holtz, and not think twice about it. 

Sounds good to me. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

In the extremely unlikely scenario they’re both still there at 7 the tough question becomes do we want a Makar or a Heiskanen type...

I haven’t read anything comparing them to the ceilings of those players.

• Like 1