2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

On 10/1/2020 at 8:44 PM, Nicomo said:

Drysdale could end up being the next Cale Makar and Sanderson could be the next Miro Heiskanen. They both absolutely have sky high potential. 

I would take either one over Holtz, and not think twice about it. 

I listened earlier today to Shane Malloy "Hockey prospects" (on XM) & the had a countdown of all prospects. This is all they do. They're thoughts were there's a lot of hype about players that don't deserve. They had Drysdale at 12. Although he has some good skating skills, but not all that impressed. I'm trying to find their list. they spent about 5 minutes on each prospect. They had Rychel at 15,  & were glowing about him. At 13, they had a kid named Tristen Robins at 13 & some very highly of him. I never seen him in top 50. Not very nice about Perrault either, or Zary. They said we try to find faults w/ players. It was a 4 hour show & I had other stuff to do. For me, no thanks to Drysdale @ 7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I listened earlier today to Shane Malloy "Hockey prospects" (on XM) & the had a countdown of all prospects. This is all they do. They're thoughts were there's a lot of hype about players that don't deserve. They had Drysdale at 12. Although he has some good skating skills, but not all that impressed. I'm trying to find their list. they spent about 5 minutes on each prospect. They had Rychel at 15,  & were glowing about him. At 13, they had a kid named Tristen Robins at 13 & some very highly of him. I never seen him in top 50. Not very nice about Perrault either, or Zary. They said we try to find faults w/ players. It was a 4 hour show & I had other stuff to do. For me, no thanks to Drysdale @ 7

Drysdale is not falling out of the top 10. 

• Like 1

Reichel is on my top list for 18-20. He is very competent aggressive player with dangerous making ability. He is good shooter too. I See some of his game, may be 5 or 6, he was really good there. And his uncle was successful in nhl.

zary is on my top list to Not draft. Nothing special In his game. 

don’t have opinion about robins, didn’t watch him. But couple of analytics  are high on him.

i don’t as high on Drysdale as many, he isn’t look good under pressure, sometimes he spend to much with the puck, he isn’t well on boards and in the corners, but he definitely will be picked in top ten. He will be specific add for our prospect pool. Not so good not so necessary as Sanderson, but he’s a right handed def and he has high ceiling.

• Like 1

I've been asking for the (rankings list) list on twitter. Looks like Shane has an account but doesn't go on twitter. He used to host hockey prospects radio on XM for many years but quit doing it this year. 

I just don't get it with the Sanderson hype.  He looks like he has the opportunity to be a great player, but not a top-10 guy to me.  If we take him at 7 with elite forward talent still there... I dunno.  I trust our scouting staff to draft BPA as they see it but I personally think we can do better at that point.

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I just don't get it with the Sanderson hype.  He looks like he has the opportunity to be a great player, but not a top-10 guy to me.  If we take him at 7 with elite forward talent still there... I dunno.  I trust our scouting staff to draft BPA as they see it but I personally think we can do better at that point.

You need guys like him to win. If he reaches his potential he’ll be a 25 min shutdown dman that has some decent offensive upside. It’s really hard to acquire that unless you draft it yourself. 

Much easier to add top 6 forwards (Hall, Palms, etc) in trades or FA than it is to add a young stud defender. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

We're getting at least 3 new boys tomorrow pals! 

I think i need to watch more scouting videos or highlights of Holtz cause right now im not high on him and our chances of landing him are pretty high

I’ll be initially disappointed if we take him. He seems so one dimensional, and even though we have Nico and Jack I’d always rather have a guy that can be a line driver. Especially a top 10 pick.

But if we do I’ll just convince myself he’ll be a future 40 goal scorer lol

Edited by Nicomo

Having no hockey to watch and with the world being in shutdown I watched and read a ton more prospect reports than I would normally do.  Having said that I'm still none the wiser. There's a group of players I'd be happy with and a group I wouldn't and an even bigger group that I'm pretty "meh" about.

There's been nothing Devils related for months and this week is going to be massive. Draft, free agency. I can't freakin' wait.

For me personally...

Drysdale would fill an urgent need. I think he'd be my #1 choice. Eventhough i don't think he's better than guys like Makar or Heinskenen.. but it's the best we have available and if we don't get him... you can't land those guys on the market or trade for them with what we have without taking a step back. Also even if he doesn't become the next Bobby Orr... we're SO bad on the D as long as he can become a serviable top 4... well at least we'd have that covered. Cause we barely have that right now

Rossi seem to be a can't miss being the complete package who can do it all well but as a center it's not ideal and we could move him to the wing possibly. So those 2 are the ones i'd take in a heartbeat.

As a RW, Raymond would be filling a need but he's more of a playmaker and we already have 2 playmakers at center that doesn't shoot enough. So i'd be okay with it but not my top choice. But like i said before... he's also reminding me of Marner and i really like Marner so

Perfetti... i don't know, i'm not as high on and i realllly hope Detroit takes him like it's been rumoured so heavily. If he turn out amazing... wtv... not like the wings will be relevant anytime soon anyway, he'd be like an Eichel being awesome but not getting results. I'll do more research on him lately today.

Holtz does fill a need on the RW in theory cause we need shooters for our playmaker centres... he'd be the new palmieri i guess... but he does feel a bit one dimensional but not at an elite level like Ovechkin where his production can make up for it, like mentioned above and my perception based on what i read.

Askarov is projected a bit lower.. but honestly... i "think" i'd rather swing for the fences at someone being projected as THE best goalie prospect in over a decade... vs a complimentary player that wouldn't drive the play.

And of course with hindsight 20/20, some of those guys may turn into the next Rantanen or Pastrnak that was picked at 9 or something. But i rather miss on a guy who was projected out of our scope than picking the wrong guy like we did..... god... so so often. 

Sometime i like to go and look at mock drafts from years past to see what was said about certain players knowing how they turned out... it can be interesting lol

Next year is when to go for a dman if they don’t get Drysdale or Sanderson. It’s supposed to be a great draft for d, similar to this one being deep with high end forwards. 

I definitely want forwards at both 18 and 20. Unless Askarov is there which he won’t be. 

This franchise has taught for so many years that there must be a defense first, that a quick transfer of the puck from defense to offense helps any hockey player to score and maintain the pace. But all the upbringing is obviously gone. Forgive us, Fathers.