2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

Rossi was BPA center or not and, in my mind obviously, the safest pick there. With NJ being in the position it is as far as the timeline of competing, this pick is going to be an important part of the team at that time and needed to be knock it out of the park. Obviously no sour grapes if Holtz gets to where he projects but I just felt like you take BPA and that was Rossi.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Having two centers drafted #1 overall already here made adding yet another center kind of iffy.  I'm not going to lie, I wanted Rossi too, and my initial reaction to Holtz was "Ah fvck".  But Holtz better fits what the Devils need...especially if the idea is to keep Hischier and Hughes here for many years.  I know one can make the argument that Rossi could've been shifted to wing, but I like the fact the Holtz is already a wing and has a hell of shot.  Hischier and Hughes are going to need some guys who can finish.  

Yeah, as long as he becomes what we hope he can, I definitely won't be in "But look what Marco's doing!" mode.  

Thing is i'm not annoyed by getting Holtz because i didn't want a RW and because i wanted a centre. It's cause i see Rossi becoming a way better player than Holtz. And because i'm worries that Holtz doesn't develop into much. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Having two centers drafted #1 overall already here made adding yet another center kind of iffy.  I'm not going to lie, I wanted Rossi too, and my initial reaction to Holtz was "Ah fvck".  But Holtz better fits what the Devils need...especially if the idea is to keep Hischier and Hughes here for many years.  I know one can make the argument that Rossi could've been shifted to wing, but I like the fact the Holtz is already a wing and has a hell of shot.  Hischier and Hughes are going to need some guys who can finish.  

Yeah, as long as he becomes what we hope he can, I definitely won't be in "But look what Marco's doing!" mode.  

I would prefer Rossi just because I'm a fan of BPA, but one thing I like about Holtz is that he can score from 20-30 feet out. I don't think the Devils have many guys with a shot like that. Palms does, it looks like Foote can shoot. Zacha has a nice shot but he takes too long to use it and then he hits the post anyway. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I would prefer Rossi just because I'm a fan of BPA, but one thing I like about Holtz is that he can score from 20-30 feet out. I don't think the Devils have many guys with a shot like that. Palms does, it looks like Foote can shoot. Zacha has a nice shot but he takes too long to use it and then he hits the post anyway. 

Not trying to be too negative, I swear guys, but he's proven he can do this on bigger ice where there's generally a lot more space.  I sure as hell hope (and believe it will) translate to the NA ice but.. I mean it's just another variable.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Rossi was BPA center or not and, in my mind obviously, the safest pick there. With NJ being in the position it is as far as the timeline of competing, this pick is going to be an important part of the team at that time and needed to be knock it out of the park. Obviously no sour grapes if Holtz gets to where he projects but I just felt like you take BPA and that was Rossi.

They were close enough there really was no clear cut BPA at that point tbh. It was pretty much Laf in a tier of his own, then Byfield/Stutzle, then picks 4-11 all right around each other. If you have them that close go with positional need. 

The Devils probably saw more of Rossi and Quinn than any other prospects because of all their 67’s. I trust they knew what they were doing passing on Rossi...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

They were close enough there really was no clear cut BPA at that point tbh. It was pretty much Laf in a tier of his own, then Byfield/Stutzle, then picks 4-11 all right around each other. If you have them that close go with positional need. 

The Devils probably saw more of Rossi and Quinn than any other prospects because of all their 67’s. I trust they knew what they were doing passing on Rossi...

I thought Rossi even being there at 7 was a reach because he was being considered that good. He dropped by virtue of Det taking Raymond early and the two teams ahead of NJ both going with the D in the top 10. At the end of the day it is just difference in opinion. Thank god we didn't take Quinn though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not trying to be too negative, I swear guys, but he's proven he can do this on bigger ice where there's generally a lot more space.  I sure as hell hope (and believe it will) translate to the NA ice but.. I mean it's just another variable.

This is true, I'm just looking at positives that he can possibly bring before he ends up in the Zacha/McLeod heap

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Looking at a few videos (very small sampling) he looks to get his shot off fast and compact...with accuracy and velocity.. that's why they drafted him.. I like the pick, it fits with our last few number 1s ..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Looking at a few videos (very small sampling) he looks to get his shot off fast and compact...with accuracy and velocity.. that's why they drafted him.. I like the pick, it fits with our last few number 1s ..

Reid Boucher also filled that need, had an insane shot and he was producing like a MF in juniors beating records and all. It didnt translate to the NHL at all.

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Reid Boucher also filled that need, had an insane shot and he was producing like a MF in juniors beating records and all. It didnt translate to the NHL at all.

He was also picked at 99, so one could presume that the scouts of all teams must have thought it was a possibility that he wouldn't pan out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But Boucher wasn't playing in the third best pro league at the time. The thing I like about both the Holtz and Shaikra picks is that they are already playing in pro mens leagues and get to improve their games there. They both should be very good by the time they get to NJ.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So by that logic we should never draft a good shooter with decent but not elite skating ability.. especially when there's a 5'-6" skater available... palms is a decent player..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

So by that logic we should never draft a good shooter with decent but not elite skating ability.. especially when there's a 5'-6" skater available... palms is a decent player..

Not what i meant at all. Boucher was able to score in other leagues but his skating and everything else was a question mark. Just like Holtz. I don't like what i've been seeing from him so far compared to how dynamic Rossi was. I could be super wrong here but i still think Rossi was the BPA

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Can we stop comparing a guy who was a consensus top 10 pick for two years, and played in a men’s league, to Reid Boucher, who was a 4th round pick, and played in a junior league? It’s apples and grapes man. 

31 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

But Boucher wasn't playing in the third best pro league at the time. The thing I like about both the Holtz and Shaikra picks is that they are already playing in pro mens leagues and get to improve their games there. They both should be very good by the time they get to NJ.

008F7C03-7EFF-4B9C-BDE8-F752836B5CB3.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I think the Boucher narrative your are pushing is really unfair on Holtz. He has a very well rounded game his playmaking is vastly underated and he is an above average but not elite skater. He is far more complete than Boucher. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think the Boucher narrative your are pushing is really unfair on Holtz. He has a very well rounded game his playmaking is vastly underated and he is an above average but not elite skater. He is far more complete than Boucher. 

First, the narrative is that Holtz plays a position we need, as a great shot and can score from everywhere, while Rossi is a center who doesn't fill a need. That's the narrative.

I personally feel we passed on the BPA/safer pick to fill a need. Some scouting reports raised many red flags with Holtz. 

I brought up Boucher cause he was too said to be the upcoming sniper we needed and would fill a need. But there was also questions about other aspects of his game and it turned out true. I'm not straight up comparing Boucher to Holtz, i'm comparing situations.

I mean after over a decade of picks not panning out and can I just be bummed that i feel we passed on the BPA for a player with red flags? NJ Devils draft picks PTSD is a thing man

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Thing is i'm not annoyed by getting Holtz because i didn't want a RW and because i wanted a centre. It's cause i see Rossi becoming a way better player than Holtz. And because i'm worries that Holtz doesn't develop into much. 

Read his scouting reports dude. He is more than just a ridiculous shot. His IQ is off the charts, he’s a great passer as well. His skating is above average and that can be worked on over time. There is no reason to think he won’t develop into much. He is projected to be ELITE.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

Read his scouting reports dude. He is more than just a ridiculous shot. His IQ is off the charts, he’s a great passer as well. His skating is above average and that can be worked on over time. There is no reason to think he won’t develop into much. He is projected to be ELITE.

I read all the reports there is to read about him dude. Did you watch this? And did you watch the same report about Rossi? who was still available?

I never said he would be a bust or wtv. I said i would have felt better taking Rossi than him cause based on what ive seen i feel Rossi will be the better player out of the 2. I could be wrong obviously but based on what we know that's what i see, im hoping im wrong

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Great, you’ve pointed to one scouting report by some rando on the internet that points out things Holtz has to work on. That’s the deciding report? So he wasn’t BPA? Every report I’ve seen had him and Rossi neck and neck most of the way. To act like there was some obvious overlook and bad pick is silly.

59 minutes ago, devlman said:

Great, you’ve pointed to one scouting report by some rando on the internet that points out things Holtz has to work on. That’s the deciding report? So he wasn’t BPA? Every report I’ve seen had him and Rossi neck and neck most of the way. To act like there was some obvious overlook and bad pick is silly.

Jesus fvcking christ. Typical NJDevs here. I fvcking said BASED ON WHAT I'VE SEEN AND READ that i would of PREFERRED Rossi. And i'm pointing out why, i never said Holtz would be a bust. I said i felt more confident in Rossi having a higher ceiling and being a complete player, regardless of the position they play. Other than Rossi's size he doesn't have much to adapt or get better at in order to be sure to have an impact in the NHL.

Now AS USUAL when someone is not following the general narrative and dare challenge it a bit, you guys get defensive, nitpick and take things people say apart, out of context and assume sh!t that goes directly against what people were saying or trying to say. Are you even fvcking trying to understand? 

Now so far, it's been said that i'm acting like Rossi was the obvious choice, that the team overlooked him, that Holtz was a bad pick, that i'm comparing Holtz directly to Boucher as a player, that Holtz is just a ridiculous shot etc etc All stuff i didn't fvcking say. I read every single fvcking scouting reports i could find on the internet, i looked at all the highlights i could find on ALL these fvcking prospects. I had a list and Rossi was 2nd and Holtz last. What do you want me to say or do?!? Change my mind just cause he was drafted by us? GTFO that i'm only pointing out ONE report from a rando, i've posted about this before the draft. I even said i'd have to read more about Holtz and Perfetti cause i was not high on them at all and chances were that we'd draft one of them so i wanted to be hyped.

Plus i said i could be totally wrong about this. Seriously what is it that you want to hear? Is it possible to say something slightly negative towards Hughes, Holtz, Subban or whoever without having a mob jumping on you assuming and putting words in your mouth?

Edited by SterioDesign