Jump to content

2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!


CommonDreads
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 2/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, CommonDreads said:

If we're picking 4th or 5th and Raymond is there I'm sprinting to the podium to pick him, he's someone who has been dropping in some rankings that has no business doing so. In my mind, 1, 2, and 3 are all on their separate tiers – Lafreniere is tier 1, Byfield tier 2, Raymond tier 3. Tier 4 for me is that lump through the rest of the Top 10 or so with Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, Lundell, Holtz, and Perfetti.

If we did end up with Stützle, Rossi, or Drysdale over Raymond, I'd still be relatively fine, but just a tad disappointed because I think Raymond could be one of the best wingers in the NHL in a few years. FWIW, Stützle-Rossi-Drysdale is my 4-6 right now, in that order.

If i were to ask you to come up with a NHL comparable for all those guys who would they be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If i were to ask you to come up with a NHL comparable for all those guys who would they be?

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me.

Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in his prime, big center with loads of skill and a great shot, though I find Byfield to be quicker than Staal was. Byfield is a tough one to gauge in terms of comparables because of how complete he is, not a lot of guys that have every tool like Byfield does. Mats Sundin is another that comes to mind, but I'm cautious in comparing him to one of the better Euros of all-time.

Lucas Raymond has a lot of the same playmaking attributes as Claude Giroux, fantastic hands, excellent vision, and can really burn too. His edgework is excellent; not as gritty as Giroux, but that honestly might just be something he inherited from playing in Philly.

Tim Stützle honestly reminds me of Taylor Hall. Fantastic skater, great hands but more often uses his skating to beat defenders, excellent passer, and can really shoot the puck. Marco Rossi, and some of you are gonna kill me for this, reminds a bit of prime Scott Gomez (I'm talking the 84 point version of Gomer). Smooth and quick skater with quite possibly the best vision and passing ability in the draft, reads the play really well and is a zone entry beast. I think Rossi's skill level is higher than Gomez's was, but broad strokes, his game has looked similar to me. For Jamie Drysdale, I like Kris Letang; 4-way skating ability and a really good offensive brain with a high skill ceiling. Anton Lundell I liken a bit to Henrik Zetterberg, good two-way player with fantastic hockey sense and playmaking ability. Alexander Holtz is a little reminiscent of Daniel Alfredsson, gifted sniper with all-around skill and skating ability. Perfetti is a little tricky for me to pin down, because he has aspects that remind me of a few different players; his shot (and particularly his release) is very Matthews like, but he's on the smaller side and his skating ability is roughly average. Joe Pavelski might be a decent comp, but I think Perfetti's puck skills project better than Pavelski's.

Quick on the lone goaltender worth 1st Round consideration, Yaroslav Askarov is a dead ringer for John Gibson for me, minus the right catching glove. The movement, poise, stance, hockey sense, it all screams Gibson to me.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me.

Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in his prime, big center with loads of skill and a great shot, though I find Byfield to be quicker than Staal was. Byfield is a tough one to gauge in terms of comparables because of how complete he is, not a lot of guys that have every tool like Byfield does. Mats Sundin is another that comes to mind, but I'm cautious in comparing him to one of the better Euros of all-time.

Lucas Raymond has a lot of the same playmaking attributes as Claude Giroux, fantastic hands, excellent vision, and can really burn too. His edgework is excellent; not as gritty as Giroux, but that honestly might just be something he inherited from playing in Philly.

Tim Stützle honestly reminds me of Taylor Hall. Fantastic skater, great hands but more often uses his skating to beat defenders, excellent passer, and can really shoot the puck. Marco Rossi, and some of you are gonna kill me for this, reminds a bit of prime Scott Gomez (I'm talking the 84 point version of Gomer). Smooth and quick skater with quite possibly the best vision and passing ability in the draft, reads the play really well and is a zone entry beast. I think Rossi's skill level is higher than Gomez's was, but broad strokes, his game has looked similar to me. For Jamie Drysdale, I like Kris Letang; 4-way skating ability and a really good offensive brain with a high skill ceiling. Anton Lundell I liken a bit to Henrik Zetterberg, good two-way player with fantastic hockey sense and playmaking ability. Alexander Holtz is a little reminiscent of Daniel Alfredsson, gifted sniper with all-around skill and skating ability. Perfetti is a little tricky for me to pin down, because he has aspects that remind me of a few different players; his shot (and particularly his release) is very Matthews like, but he's on the smaller side and his skating ability is roughly average. Joe Pavelski might be a decent comp, but I think Perfetti's puck skills project better than Pavelski's.

Quick on the lone goaltender worth 1st Round consideration, Yaroslav Askarov is a dead ringer for John Gibson for me, minus the right catching glove. The movement, poise, stance, hockey sense, it all screams Gibson to me.

Cool thanks. That's always useful. What made me go team Nico before his draft was that i read that Nico was basically like Zetterberg and Nolan was a Eric Staal.

Ultimately i'm actually not sure if i'd agree with that comparison so far but i'm happy with Nico nonetheless haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Cool thanks. That's always useful. What made me go team Nico before his draft was that i read that Nico was basically like Zetterberg and Nolan was a Eric Staal.

Ultimately i'm actually not sure if i'd agree with that comparison so far but i'm happy with Nico nonetheless haha

Still think Nico is more Datsyuk than Zetterberg. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm assuming Jack Quinn is some fancy new Hughes hybrid. 

Here’s that article I was referring to on Quinn if you would like a more in depth read on him:

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2020/02/18/rising-stars-jack-quinn/

Kid is likely going to end up on my mid teens in my final rankings, he’s one of my favorites this year

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Here’s that article I was referring to on Quinn if you would like a more in depth read on him:

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2020/02/18/rising-stars-jack-quinn/

Kid is likely going to end up on my mid teens in my final rankings, he’s one of my favorites this year

Thank you for this. Its cool to see that he's playing with Hoelscher right now. 

Interesting to see Raymond ahead of Byfield in the rankings as well. That top 10 is a lot to get excited about

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Thank you for this. Its cool to see that he's playing with Hoelscher right now. 

Interesting to see Raymond ahead of Byfield in the rankings as well. That top 10 is a lot to get excited about

It’s crazy to me that some are dropping Raymond near the end of their top 10, he’s a definite Top 3 talent for me.

The rankings on DraftGeek were made from a compilation of myself and the other writers on there back in September, so Byfield may be in the 2 hole when we get together soon to do our new round of consolidated rankings. Byfield is my #2, Raymond my #3.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got see Lafrenière gets his 100th and 101st point of the season few days ago.

He finished the night with 2 assists and a few scoring chances, got the 2nd star of the game. What impressed me the most is some of the tricks he has with the puck against the boards. You can tell his hockey IQ is really high

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I got see Lafrenière gets his 100th and 101st point of the season few days ago.

He finished the night with 2 assists and a few scoring chances, got the 2nd star of the game. What impressed me the most is some of the tricks he has with the puck against the boards. You can tell his hockey IQ is really high

 

 

Plus we already know he looks good in red and black. 
 

49567253438_b1bf43c513_b.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

It’s crazy to me that some are dropping Raymond near the end of their top 10, he’s a definite Top 3 talent for me.

The rankings on DraftGeek were made from a compilation of myself and the other writers on there back in September, so Byfield may be in the 2 hole when we get together soon to do our new round of consolidated rankings. Byfield is my #2, Raymond my #3.

How would you rank Hischier, Hughes and Byfield in term of potential?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

 

How would you rank Hischier, Hughes and Byfield in term of potential?

1. Hughes, 2. Byfield, 3. Hischier

Jack is the most dynamic of the three and in turn I think has the most offensive upside, Byfield and Nico are both complete package centers but Byfield I think brings a little more in size and upper echelon skill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arizona is currently out of the playoffs with 2 more games played than the teams before them and 4 more games the the 2 teams behind them. So that's really good. Right now if the draft was today and that the lottery didn't affect our ranking, we'd get the 5th pick, 12th and like 17th... 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the draft were today, we would have picks 5, 12, and 18. Again going just off who I have at those spots, that would give us: Marco Rossi, Emil Andrae, and Dawson Mercer.

I feel like it sounds cliche, but this draft could end up being a turning point for this franchise with the quality of players we could get there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nicomo said:

I’m sure people would complain about his size, but landing Rossi would be just fine with me. 103 points in 48 GP so far this season for the 67’s... 

I mentioned this on Twitter recently, but both Lafreniere (2.20) and Rossi (2.15) are working at over a 2.00 Pt/G pace right now. If they maintain that pace through the end of the season, they would be the first 1st-year eligible players to finish the season with a 2.00 Pt/G or better in the CHL since Connor McDavid (2.55) and Mitch Marner (2.00) did it in 2015.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m sure people would complain about his size, but landing Rossi would be just fine with me. 103 points in 48 GP so far this season for the 67’s... 

Yeah, he's a beast. As well as pretty much every player ranked in the top 10 right now. It's surely a great draft, and we potentially have 3 picks in the first round. Exciting times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

I mentioned this on Twitter recently, but both Lafreniere (2.20) and Rossi (2.15) are working at over a 2.00 Pt/G pace right now. If they maintain that pace through the end of the season, they would be the first 1st-year eligible players to finish the season with a 2.00 Pt/G or better in the CHL since Connor McDavid (2.55) and Mitch Marner (2.00) did it in 2015.

Is it safe to say it’s pretty impressive Rossi is doing it in the OHL compared to the Q? If he was a couple inches taller would he be getting top 2-3 talk? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is it safe to say it’s pretty impressive Rossi is doing it in the OHL compared to the Q? If he was a couple inches taller would he be getting top 2-3 talk? 

I honestly don’t read too much into the difference between the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL, as I find the difference in league quality is marginal if even noticeable at all. If anything, it fluctuates with age groups as they filter through, but the quality of competition across the CHL is pretty even I would say.

I don’t hold this against Rossi, especially since I think he’s part of what makes that team special, but he does also play for the best team in the CHL this year, while some guys like Lafreniere and Byfield have had to carry their teams more. Just something to consider, but I do think if Rossi was closer to 6’0” he would be getting more top 3 buzz.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we magically will not win lottery again and will not pick two first - I’m Rossi team too. He is dynamic and very well in defensive situations, he is under the skin type of player. And he has connections with Bahl, Clarke, Okhotyuk and Hoelscher. He is from our gang. 
but. If we pick him - I don’t see any big reasons to stay with Bratt or Gusev or both.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If we magically will not win lottery again and will not pick two first - I’m Rossi team too. He is dynamic and very well in defensive situations, he is under the skin type of player. And he has connections with Bahl, Clarke, Okhotyuk and Hoelscher. He is from our gang. 
but. If we pick him - I don’t see any big reasons to stay with Bratt or Gusev or both.

I see no reason to move on from Bratt. He’s not going to cost a lot, and he’s only going to get better with age. 

Nice to keep a real find like that, too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I see no reason to move on from Bratt. He’s not going to cost a lot, and he’s only going to get better with age. 

Nice to keep a real find like that, too. 

So give Rossi one russian assistman on the wing and trade him after in deadline(as i remember gusev has ntc with 8 non-trade clubs, i can be wrong on it). My avatar is a hint that i see reasons to not move on from Bratt. But Hughes, Gusev, Rossi, Bratt and Gusev in top 6(or even in top 9) is too much. well or is too little enough. Washington, Blues and  Bruins play with us like with kids. Skill is good but we need guts, balls and muscles with skills. But now we have Gusev or Wood, Hughes or Simmonds. Skills on one side, muscles on the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

So give Rossi one russian assistman on the wing and trade him after in deadline(as i remember gusev has ntc with 8 non-trade clubs, i can be wrong on it). My avatar is a hint that i see reasons to not move on from Bratt. But Hughes, Gusev, Rossi, Bratt and Gusev in top 6(or even in top 9) is too much. well or is too little enough. Washington, Blues and  Bruins play with us like with kids. Skill is good but we need guts, balls and muscles with skills. But now we have Gusev or Wood, Hughes or Simmonds. Skills on one side, muscles on the other. 

Foote will bring some size and toughness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.