2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

With how this team is playing, I'm going to just start this thread since draft stuff always cheers me up.

This year I'm going to have my draft coverage stepped up a bit, as now I'm writing for DraftGeek.ca as one of their contributing prospect writers. I'll be doing monthly prospect reports, which I'll link here if you're interested. My most recent article is one Antonio Stranges; at this point he's slated to go somewhere between 10-25.

2020 Prospect Profile: Hendrix Lapierre (September 5th)

2020 Prospect Profile: Tim Stützle (October 8th)

2020 Prospect Profile: Antonio Stranges (November 12th)

2020 Prospect Profile: Cole Perfetti (December 12th)

Rising Stars: Jack Quinn (February 21st)

Furthermore, you can find my most recent rankings on my Twitter here:

Omitted from that list that would have on there now, since that was posted about a month ago: Ben Schoen, Tyson Foerster, and Sergei Safin-Tregubov, to name a few.

Alexis Lafreniere is obviously the top prize, with Quinton Byfield as a clear cut #2 at the moment. In some order, Lucas Raymond, Alexander Holtz, Anton Lundell, Tim Stutzle, Jamie Drysdale, and Cole Perfetti typically make up the next tier on most people's list. Lafreniere scored a filthy goal the other night against Gatineau, if you want a little taste of how good this kid is. Currently has 13 goals and 45 points in just 20 games so far this year in the Q.

Other miscellaneous things, here's a thread I did back in July on Alexander Nikishin, who's a lot of fun and packed with talent. Looks like a late-1st/2nd rounder at the moment based on most scout's consensus, but I really love the kid:

If this team doesn't improve, take some solace in this: this is a very, very good year to be bad, as the early outlooks seem to indicate this could be the best draft class since either 2003 or 2015. If this team finishes with a top 5 pick, I'm pretty confident that whoever we select there can roughly replace Hall's production within a couple years.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

My newest article for DraftGeek.ca came out last night, so take a look if you're so inclined!

https://www.draftgeek.ca/2019/12/10/2020-prospect-profile-cole-perfetti/

If the Devils ended up with around the 6th Overall pick, I think Perfetti is someone we should become at least familiar with. He's my #9 at the moment, so there's some guys that I would like a little more at that spot, but he's a really high-end goal scorer and offensive dual threat. If Perfetti was who we got in June, he would be pretty lethal on Jack's wing with the shot that he has.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I think a Palmieri could net us 2 2nds to replace the SUbban deal. Vatanen, Greene - there's a third in there somewhere. That Subban deal looks really terrible now.

I think if we were to trade Palmieri he could net us a 1st, a 30 goal scorer with term left on his deal isn't easy to find, but I'm also not really in favor of trading Palms. If we're not able to re-sign Vatanen, I think he can fetch us at least a 2nd+. Unless I'm forgetting someone, he's going to be the best RHD on the rental market, and I'm not counting Pietrangelo in that since I doubt the Blues deal him. Greene is probably a 3rd.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No 2nd or 3rd round pick this year is going to be brutal.  

Going to be very high picks.  Nashville smoked us in that trade.

After the sheer number of picks over the past four years and number of high quality picks (including whatever we get from being one of the three worst teams in the league this year), not having our own second or third is the absolute last thing this team should be worried about.

Sure, trade whoever is on an expiring contract that we don't intend to sign for the best thing we can get, and if that's draft picks, so be it.  But if we're trading Palmieri, it has to be for a real player who can help soon. 

Draft pick-itis is a surefire way to continue to suck.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I think if we were to trade Palmieri he could net us a 1st, a 30 goal scorer with term left on his deal isn't easy to find, but I'm also not really in favor of trading Palms. 

And the year left is a relatively low cost as well. I’m not in favor either, but a first would be warranted. 

On 11/14/2019 at 6:18 PM, DevilMinder said:

If the Devils get #1 overall again the league will melt down. Thanks for kickign this off Dreads

I mean I don't know. Maybe they would, but they can't accuse us of Tanking or incompetence - we signed free agents, big trades and really tried to put our best foot forward this year. The lottery is the lottery. Whatever.

9 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I mean I don't know. Maybe they would, but they can't accuse us of Tanking or incompetence - we signed free agents, big trades and really tried to put our best foot forward this year. The lottery is the lottery. Whatever.

It didn’t start out that way, but Shero is absolutely tanking the rest of the season, and it’s probably been the plan for a couple of weeks now.  

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well. It use to be a joke but i guess we have a legit shot at Lafrenniere. I'm supposed to go see him play in February. I was originally just gonna go cause he was projected #1 overall but.... now it's personal lol

Bettman’s head would explode if we got another 1OA. He’s going to the original 6 team in last place...

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I can't see us finishing any better than 30th overall which is where we've kind of solidified ourselves at the moment.  With all the trades to come, we're a Blackwood injury away from comfortably taking over 31st overall. 

It's going to get very very ugly. 

Get?

• Like 1