2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

Hey, despite the way the lottery played out the Devils are very likely to draft one of Rossi, Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, (there seems to be some consensus that Stutzle is going top 5), and getting any one one of those players is going to be cause for excitement among the fanbase. Despite the narrative about this draft being filled with can't miss prospects, it seems mostly like a pretty average draft to me, but still, the Devils are bound to select someone at seven that might very well have been selected at three or four. So, there's a lot of room for positivity here.

And if there's any one person at fault for where the Devils are picking, it's Mackenzie Blackwood, not Gary Bettman.

38 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah they 100% should have wait for the play-in round to be done before the lottery. There's literally no logical reasons to do it the way they did other than being impatient 

Yep. Didn’t need to have a Phase 2. 

Like I said elsewhere, you could literally do it 10 minutes before the draft and it would be no different. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hey, despite the way the lottery played out the Devils are very likely to draft one of Rossi, Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, (there seems to be some consensus that Stutzle is going top 5), and getting any one one of those players is going to be cause for excitement among the fanbase. Despite the narrative about this draft being filled with can't miss prospects, it seems mostly like a pretty average draft to me, but still, the Devils are bound to select someone at seven that might very well have been selected at three or four. So, there's a lot of room for positivity here.

And if there's any one person at fault for where the Devils are picking, it's Mackenzie Blackwood, not Gary Bettman.

I don’t think anyone is too upset with 7 when we went in with #6. A lot of talent will be around at 7, plus we could get something in the 8-10 range and late teens depending how this plays out. 

What’s upsetting is that a team that was shoehorned into the “play-in” will now have a better shot at the #1 pick than teams that weren't given a shot at a play in. Any team given the opportunity to play in should immediately have been removed from top 3 contention. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t think anyone is too upset with 7 when we went in with #6. A lot of talent will be around at 7, plus we could get something in the 8-10 range and late teens depending how this plays out. 

What’s upsetting is that a team that was shoehorned into the “play-in” will now have a better shot at the #1 pick than teams that weren't given a shot at a play in. Any team given the opportunity to play in should immediately have been removed from top 3 contention. 

I mean, the lottery usually includes fifteen teams, so the only point of contention is that this time there were certain teams that agreed to be eliminated from competition before they were mathematically eliminated. I'm not going to pretend the Devils made out well here: they ceded a chance at the playoffs and ended up with the second worst pick of eliminated teams. But it's not like they had much of a choice and in doing so they gave themselves the best chance they could at winning the lottery. It didn't work out. I also don't agree that getting a chance to play in the qualifying round should result in a 0% chance to win the lottery. Only teams that actually make the playoffs should have no chance at the lottery. You can make the argument that less non-playoff teams should be in the lottery in general, but then you're proposing changing the way the lottery operates in any year.

Unless you want to make a claim that the lottery was rigged, I don't really feel like there's much to complain about here. If Blackwood hadn't played as well as he did, the Devils might very well be picking at two or three. I agree that it doesn't feel good for a qualifying round team to win #1. But the outcome doesn't really disrupt my sense of fairness that much, especially based on precedent.

i`m with this guys with our 7th and potential ARI pick.

Rossi, Perfetti and two sweds are more smaller than taller guys.

Rossi is a perfect all around player but he is small and slow. And i think Rossi has so much assissts because he played with Quinn. Look at his shot! he isn`t a guy who wait - he made his chances by himself, he has speed, he has great shot and use it in absolutely different situations.  Quinn is older player but he is younger than others from OHL goal scoring list. Rossi looks like a good material to be  a good 3rd(may be 2nd) line center, but we need in top-6 winger.

Holtz isn`t well player, he shots a lot and he did it with bad timings. Its a sign that he cant read game play well. And it doesnt fix.

Raymond looks well and he is comparable to Marner. He has everything to be a star in nhl. We have enough playmakers but if Devils pick him over the others i`ll not be dissapoint.

Perfetti is  a perfect guy with a puck, but without it he looks like a shadow. He missed his legs day in gym. Look at him - he skate like Gusev. And skating isnt a trump card of Gusev.

All of this guys are small. Only Jack looks and play like what devils need.

And Sanderson ofcourse. He is a beast in d-zone and has better skating than rossi and perfetti. I dont like Drysdale because he is a small puck mover and we have some. Sanderson looks like an NHL regular defensman with excellent body work, great skating and puck posession.  We have some puckmovers but no guys to play with.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Rossi is a perfect all around player but he is small and slow. And i think Rossi has so much assissts because he played with Quinn. Look at his shot! he isn`t a guy who wait - he made his chances by himself, he has speed, he has great shot and use it in absolutely different situations.  Quinn is older player but he is younger than others from OHL goal scoring list. Rossi looks like a good material to be  a good 3rd(may be 2nd) line center, but we need in top-6 winger.

Holtz isn`t well player, he shots a lot and he did it with bad timings. Its a sign that he cant read game play well. And it doesnt fix.

Raymond looks well and he is comparable to Marner. He has everything to be a star in nhl. We have enough playmakers but if Devils pick him over the others i`ll not be dissapoint.

Perfetti is  a perfect guy with a puck, but without it he looks like a shadow. He missed his legs day in gym. Look at him - he skate like Gusev. And skating isnt a trump card of Gusev.

And Sanderson ofcourse. He is a beast in d-zone and has better skating than rossi and perfetti. I dont like Drysdale because he is a small puck mover and we have some. Sanderson looks like an NHL regular defensman with excellent body work, great skating and puck posession.  We have some puckmovers but no guys to play with.

No truer words has ever been spoken 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I agree with what you say about the size of Rossi, Perfetti and Drysdale. It's interesting what you say about Holtz. The reports I've read about say his goal scoring should translate to the NHL.

I'd be pleased if we come out of the draft with Sanderson and Quinn.

What do you think of Askarov? Is he as highly rated in Russia as he is by the scouts in the NHL?

23 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I agree with what you say about the size of Rossi, Perfetti and Drysdale. It's interesting what you say about Holtz. The reports I've read about say his goal scoring should translate to the NHL.

I'd be pleased if we come out of the draft with Sanderson and Quinn.

What do you think of Askarov? Is he as highly rated in Russia as he is by the scouts in the NHL?

Holtz make shots in nondanger situations more  often than other goal scorers in that draft. i dont he will be 30 or 40 goal scorer in nhl because of his desicions in game.

I think that Askarov may be another one great prosuct of russian goalie school. I think  he will stay in russia  for 3 or 4 years because he can grow here in KHL with better money. Do we interesting in him so much with Blackwood in other hand? If he stay for our 2nd possible pick he is a great option.

Anyway i think Chicago will pick him if they willn`t win the lottery.

Edited by Guadana

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

From what i'm reading Drysdale is really good defensively too

if we look on this pictures - yes, Jamie looks fantastic, but when i saw canada games on wjc he lose his opponents in d-zone, he trew away the puck without purpose. If devils need in one more small puckmover - ok he is an option if he will stay, but i dont think he is what organisation needs in.

And what i see in this video - more often he`s trying to leave his own zone by himself without first pass. 

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

There’s no point even talking about Drysdale. We’re not getting him at 7. We’d have to trade up  

Just looking at the five different set of rankings they've got on Elite Prospects and Drysdale is ranked anywhere from 3rd to 12th. After Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle have gone in the top three there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the rankings. The Devils (and the other three teams picking above them) will still have Drysdale, Raymond, Perfetti, Sanderson, Quinn, Rossi and Holtz to pick from so should get a pretty decent player.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There’s no point even talking about Drysdale. We’re not getting him at 7. We’d have to trade up  

Drysdale= Ty Smith. Already got one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Drysdale is a much better prospect than Ty Smith. He’s pretty much consensus top 5 pick. Smith went 17th. That’s a big difference. 

I don't disagree, but wasn't Smith projected top 10 though? I thought that's why he was such a steal at 17.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't disagree, but wasn't Smith projected top 10 though? I thought that's why he was such a steal at 17.

He might of been, I’m not really sure. I’d still say Drysdale has been a much more touted prospect though. He’s the #1 defenseman in his class. Ty’s had Dahlin, Hughes, and a couple other guys go ahead of him. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He might of been, I’m not really sure. I’d still say Drysdale has been a much more touted prospect though. He’s the #1 defenseman in his class. Ty’s had Dahlin, Hughes, and a couple other guys go ahead of him. 

All true. I looked and some had him as low as 13 so he may have been a steal but depends on who you're asking I guess. That draft class has some elite players in the top 10 and Hughes going at 6 gives me some hope NJ can steal something at 7 (Rossi). 

• Like 1

We need a stud dman who can win dirty battles behind our goal.. not sure if ty smith is ever going to be that guy.  He looked anything but strong handling the dump and chase.  If that defense man isnt there, I'm hoping for a 30 goal winger.

Edited by EdgeControl

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

We need a stud dman who can win dirty battles behind our goal.. not sure if ty smith is ever going to be that guy.  He looked anything but strong handling the dump and chase.  If that defense man isnt there, I'm hoping for a 30 goal winger.

If i'm going to pick in the top 10 for a dman... i'm going to want a dman that is incredible offensively or amazing 2 way. I wouldn't want to use a top 10 pick on a shut down dman who won't produce much, if you look around the league most of those guys were almost always picked wayyy later. You really need to shoot for a very special player when you get a good pick like this.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

I have to agree, I think a top pairing d-man or a 30 goal scorer is perfect for our team.