2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to agree, I think a top pairing d-man or a 30 goal scorer is perfect for our team. 

let's agree to disagree. I think we need a franchise dman and a 50 goal scorer. That idealy would both one day be legendary players that people name their kids after

Unless we were picking 1st or 2nd I am not too bothered about picking 7th. There doesn't seem to be too much consensus around the order 3-10. Every player seems to have some upsides as well as down. But over the last few years the 7th round pick has thrown up some good players. 

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

let's agree to disagree. I think we need a franchise dman and a 50 goal scorer. That idealy would both one day be legendary players that people name their kids after

Ok ok, we can disagree. Two franchise d-men, a 60 goal scorer, two 30 goal scorers, and a franchise goalie, half of whom are born in Montreal. That’s what we need. 

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok ok, we can disagree. Two franchise d-men, a 60 goal scorer, two 30 goal scorers, and a franchise goalie, half of whom are born in Montreal. That’s what we need. 

all of them for one 7th pick. 

if ARI pick will be ours and devs pick rossi and quinn - will be no matter whose merits are greater in their tandem.

Edited by Guadana

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Unless we were picking 1st or 2nd I am not too bothered about picking 7th. There doesn't seem to be too much consensus around the order 3-10. Every player seems to have some upsides as well as down. But over the last few years the 7th round pick has thrown up some good players. 

Looking at the last 10 #7 picks and it’s extremely encouraging...

Jeff Skinner, Mark Scheifele, Matthew Dumba, Darnell Nurse, Hayden Fluery, Ivan Provorov, Clayton Keller, Lias Andersson, Quinn Hughes, Dylan Cozens

There’s some great players in there. I don’t know much about Fleury, and Cozens is obviously still TBD, but the only real bust in there looks to be Andersson (LOL). 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jeff Skinner, Mark Scheifele, Matthew Dumba, Darnell Nurse, Hayden Fluery, Ivan Provorov, Clayton Keller, Lias Andersson, Quinn Hughes, Dylan Cozens

He was in the NHL long enough to fall down, so that’s something. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Still salty about this stupid outcome.  

Yup Bettman can spin this by saying the odds were like every other draft lottery. But the truth is that it's not like the others. The "field bet" odds for teams potentially in the playoffs were too high. Play in chance AND a lottery ball.. bullsh!t...

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:23 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yep......like Provorov

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Yup Bettman can spin this by saying the odds were like every other draft lottery. But the truth is that it's not like the others. The "field bet" odds for teams potentially in the playoffs were too high. Play in chance AND a lottery ball.. bullsh!t...

The bolded is my one beef here.  The Devils falling one spot I can live with...it happens, and I can only imagine how Detroit and Ottawa are feeling (falling from potentially #1 and #2 to #4 and #5, though at least Ottawa had SJ's pick at #3 to soften the blow a little).  

But yeah, with the "field bet" odds that the other teams had, that pick shouldn't have been any higher than #4 overall...if you want to make an argument for #3, I guess you can make it, but #4 feels more "right".  aylbert pointing out how the collective odds gave the field bet crowd too favorable of a chance to get the #1 seed shows that this system was flawed from its inception.    

But like others have said, though I don't believe that the result was rigged (no way that the Devils get two #1s in three years if the system truly was), it just feels wrong...wrong enough that people are going to say "Of course, there goes the friggin' NHL manufacturing drama and interest!"  It's not a good look.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded is my one beef here.  The Devils falling one spot I can live with...it happens, and I can only imagine how Detroit and Ottawa are feeling (falling from potentially #1 and #2 to #4 and #5, though at least Ottawa had SJ's pick at #3 to soften the blow a little).  

But yeah, with the "field bet" odds that the other teams had, that pick shouldn't have been any higher than #4 overall...if you want to make an argument for #3, I guess you can make it, but #4 feels more "right".  aylbert pointing out how the collective odds gave the field bet crowd too favorable of a chance to get the #1 seed shows that this system was flawed from its inception.    

But like others have said, though I don't believe that the result was rigged (no way that the Devils get two #1s in three years if the system truly was), it just feels wrong...wrong enough that people are going to say "Of course, there goes the friggin' NHL manufacturing drama and interest!"  It's not a good look.  

Yeah for me if it would have been one draft lottery once all the non-playoffs team were set then it would be so much better. Philly won the 2nd lottery in 2017 and it was "fine". But now the way it was done it's just making everything worst.

And again, it's even more frustrating cause this is all because they wanted that play-in round to get chicago and MTL in. That's what the most infuriating to me, they rigged that whole thing around that when it made not much sense.

I'm bummed because I really had my sights on Rossi and now that DET can't possibly get Stützle, Rossi may be their next choice. 

Not really sure how excited I'd feel taking Raymond or Perfetti. They just seem like high ceiling with high risk. I know he's further down the list but I like Lundell. I'm just hoping NJ's scouting team has done their homework. Hischier and Hughes were easy, they need to prove they pick correctly in the top 10. At the end of the day I don't know sh!t, that's why I sit behind my keyboard and type furiously on this board. 

Anyway, still crazy that a team playing for a playoff spot will get such a consolation prize over DET or OTT who desperately need some help. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm bummed because I really had my sights on Rossi and now that DET can't possibly get Stützle, Rossi may be their next choice. 

Not really sure how excited I'd feel taking Raymond or Perfetti. They just seem like high ceiling with high risk. I know he's further down the list but I like Lundell. I'm just hoping NJ's scouting team has done their homework. Hischier and Hughes were easy, they need to prove they pick correctly in the top 10. At the end of the day I don't know sh!t, that's why I sit behind my keyboard and type furiously on this board. 

Anyway, still crazy that a team playing for a playoff spot will get such a consolation prize over DET or OTT who desperately need some help. 

Perfetti is supposed to be one of the best natural goal scorers of this draft class (after Laffy). The only knock of him seems to be his skating, but we desperately need guys that can put the puck in the net for Nico and Jack. 

• Like 2

Picking 7th is actually a really solid place to be in this draft. It's right in the middle of that second tier of players after the top 2/3, so there will be several great choices when the Devils go to pick. I wouldn't count out the possibility of Rossi or Raymond being available when the Devils go to pick. I could see some GMs really falling in love with Sanderson or Perfetti, who could leap ahead of some of the other guys.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:52 AM, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't disagree, but wasn't Smith projected top 10 though? I thought that's why he was such a steal at 17.

As Julie R. (don't remember how to spell her last name) said, you don't pick who's great NOW, you pick who will be great in a couple years.  I recall a Sarnia player that broke Stamkos' scoring record not long ago, & never made it in there bigs., Reid Boucher.  I have skepticism about Perfetti and Quinn.  But, if either are chosen, scouts know better. I'm happy w/ that.

Do not want Quinn. He's old... he barely missed being eligible for the draft last year, and was on a ridiculously stacked team. 

From the limited viewing ive had of perfetti id be happier with him... I don't think his skating is as poor as some are making out. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic The Athletic published an article on each team's best draft class over the last 20 years. 

The Devil's was selected as 2017 and at first I thought to myself "well that just seems lazy we definitely drafted better than that in the early 2000's" and after some research it turns out I was completely wrong. Our drafting even before the 2010's is shocking. 

My perception has always been that the devil's had a long history of successful drafting , but on reflection that seems to have died around 1998. And since the it's been 20 years of a few rare gems and a lot of garbage.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Slightly off topic The Athletic published an article on each team's best draft class over the last 20 years. 

The Devil's was selected as 2017 and at first I thought to myself "well that just seems lazy we definitely drafted better than that in the early 2000's" and after some research it turns out I was completely wrong. Our drafting even before the 2010's is shocking. 

My perception has always been that the devil's had a long history of successful drafting , but on reflection that seems to have died around 1998. And since the it's been 20 years of a few rare gems and a lot of garbage.

No offense, but you are only realizing this now?  Outside of a few exceptions, Devils drafting has largely been a dumpster fire for the past 20 years.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

No offense, but you are only realizing this now?  Outside of a few exceptions, Devils drafting has largely been a dumpster fire for the past 20 years.

Over the last 10 years not at all, but I clearly had devil's tinted glasses on for the drafts in the 2000's era. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, jagknife said:

So we (minus SD) want Montreal to bounce first, then the Yotes then Vancouver so we have 3 this year?

Is that really still the best scenario?  Wouldn’t it be better for Vancouver to get a protected pick this year and then bomb next year?  Or am I missing something?  I guess there are too many variables to hope for that, but I’m an eternal optimist... except when we’re fvcked. 

Before I forget, what does next year’s draft look like, potential wise, compared to this year?  It sounds like this is a deep draft so maybe getting the pick this year is better.  Still, I have this fantasy of the Canucks keeping their pick this year only to win the lottery next year.  Yes, I’m greedy....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Is that really still the best scenario?  Wouldn’t it be better for Vancouver to get a protected pick this year and then bomb next year?  Or am I missing something?  I guess there are too many variables to hope for that, but I’m an eternal optimist... except when we’re fvcked. 

Before I forget, what does next year’s draft look like, potential wise, compared to this year?  It sounds like this is a deep draft so maybe getting the pick this year is better.  Still, I have this fantasy of the Canucks keeping their pick this year only to win the lottery next year.  Yes, I’m greedy....

No it's not the best case scenario. The best case scenario for us is actually MTL winning the play-in. I posted the extreme best case scenario few days ago.

As for Vancouver... well.... it's so hard to say... i'm really not sure where they'll be next year but it's true that this year with vancouver we're guaranteed a... 17 to 30 pick i guess... while if they sh!t the bed next year we could get a better pick... but who knows really. Like you said since it's a deep draft and that we need talent sooner than later i'd rather get a player this year

• Like 1

The best scenario imo is the Rangers lose the play-in round but then do not win first overall. I am not wiling to risk the Rangers with 1st overall so I will be rooting for them against carolina.... 🤢

For the Devils if you want picks this year, i believe we want Vancouver to win the first round, and Arizona to lose the play-in?

2 hours ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

The best scenario imo is the Rangers lose the play-in round but then do not win first overall. I am not wiling to risk the Rangers with 1st overall so I will be rooting for them against carolina.... 🤢

For the Devils if you want picks this year, i believe we want Vancouver to win the first round, and Arizona to lose the play-in?

Your first statement seems contradictory.

As for the conditional picks, iirc correctly, we want Vancouver to make the playoffs to get their pick this year instead of next, and Arizona we get their pick no matter what unless they win the lottery (which is scary with them having Hall). So I think we want Vancouver to get bounced in the 1st round of the actual playoffs, and Arizona to lose the play-in, but not win the lottery. Which would give us the highest possible pick. 

I think...

• Like 2