Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils First Pick: #7

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I feel the opposite, but I like Rossi more than Raymond.

i was not too high on Raymond. Kind of risky to draft a dude with 10 pts in 33 games in his last season.. i know he plays with adults and all... but its a very small sample...

Also he's a small winger playmaker... we already have 2 playmaker top 6 centers who are not shooting enough... not the best way to build a team.

But then his NHL comparable is Mitch Marner, so that makes me go... well...........

4 minutes ago, moustic said:

If we forget about the sour feeling right now... We will end with a really good player at 7... and with any luck 2 more good players in the first round !

I'm still confident about our future

Yup, this is still potentially a good draft year for us. Higher pick would've been better, but it is what it is. 

“What it is” is a clown show where the draft lottery was just held and one of the worst teams isn’t getting the #1. Who is? Who knows until fvcking Phase 2.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, this is still potentially a good draft year for us. Higher pick would've been better, but it is what it is. 

“What it is” is a clown show where the draft lottery was just held and one of the worst teams isn’t getting the #1. Who is? Who knows until fvcking Phase 2.

i was not on the "NHL IS A JOKE" bandwagon really, cause i thought... well its not that different than when Philly won the 2nd overall when they had like... the 12th best odds..

But then i just realized that... by doing it in 2 phases... the ONLY reason to do it like this is to make... something happen for ratings right now... 

It would have been better to just... wait til all the out of playoffs teams are established then you make it with the odds according to your ranking

Now if the playoffs are cancelled... teams like the Rangers who had a 2% chance at the first overall pick.. now has 8% chance... which is more than what the Devils and Sabres had.

It makes no sense indeed.

Edited by SterioDesign

After the first three places there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consensus over the rankings. The Devils are going to get a very good player. Maybe Holtz or Perfetti (I'm pretty sure Drysdale will be gone by 7 but you never know).

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i was not too high on Raymond. Kind of risky to draft a dude with 10 pts in 33 games in his last season.. i know he plays with adults and all... but its a very small sample...

Also he's a small winger playmaker... we already have 2 playmaker top 6 centers who are not shooting enough... not the best way to build a team.

But then his NHL comparable is Mitch Marner, so that makes me go... well...........

I’ve also read somewhere that Raymond played significantly less minutes than his draft peers in their respective euro leagues (Stutzle, Lundell, Holtz, etc.) so that plays in the equation also. I’ve seen him play/watched extensive highlights of him in international play, he absolutely dominated imo. Sure it might not translate (as it might not with any player) but if we got him, I’d be happy.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

I’ve also read somewhere that Raymond played significantly less minutes than his draft peers in their respective euro leagues (Stutzle, Lundell, Holtz, etc.) so that plays in the equation also.

in his stats yeah. Obviously he plays with men as a kid so he's probably not on the top lines... but then that's not giving a lot to the scouts... in a year where guys are really underscouted... and they'll have to go on a LOT of projections.... very very risky

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

in his stats yeah. Obviously he plays with men as a kid so he's probably not on the top lines... but then that's not giving a lot to the scouts... in a year where guys are really underscouted... and they'll have to go on a LOT of projections.... very very risky

I think you might’ve missed my edit hahah! He’s also been really solid in international play against his age group, from what I’ve seen from him in games and highlights, he dominated in his international play. That’s something to base it on. But prospects are prospects, you never know lol. 

I’m just happy that we’re getting a solid guy. After the 1-2 pick, this draft seems to be a toss up, so much talent.

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

I think you might’ve missed my edit hahah! He’s also been really solid in international play against his age group, from what I’ve seen from him in games and highlights, he dominated in his international play. That’s something to base it on. But prospects are prospects, you never know lol. 

I’m just happy that we’re getting a solid guy. After the 1-2 pick, this draft seems to be a toss up, so much talent.

ah yeah i did. and i remember him scoring a hat trick in finals for the juniors so he can be clutch and produce obviously. But again, short sample and players playing big in juniors are the right time happened often... see Kostitsyn in 2003 or wtv

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, aylbert said:

They are collectivizing the play-in team losers while keeping the odds the same for the teams eliminated.
This feels and smells like bullsh!t though...  the play-in teams are most likely to win the 1st overall now.   and then when they do, they draw straws for it.

DETROIT 18.5%
OTTAWA 13.5%
OTTAWA (from SAN JOSE) 11.5%
LOS ANGELES 9.5%
ANAHEIM 8.5%
NJ 7.5%
BUFF 6.5%
LOSER FROM PLAY-INS COLLECTIVELY: 24.5%

Those 8 teams share that pick evenly... so each of them effectively have a 3.0625% chance to win the draft lottery.

As I said the day they announced this horsesh!t...  the play in team had the most balls in this lottery straight up.     

Ottawa edged them out when you count San Jose as well...   but Ottawa's collective odds were 25%,   and the Play-In teams were 24.5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moustic said:

Ok... but who will we get ? Still a shot at Rossi at number 7 ?

Rossi could definitely be there at 7. I think he goes anywhere between 5-7. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I doubt Rossi. Maybe Holtz, Quinn, or Lundell at this point.

No way Quinn goes that high. If we can’t get Rossi, I’d probably go with Perfetti if he’s there. 

Posted (edited)

Woulda been better off heading to Jenkinsons and throwing 🎯

Edited by titans04

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Woulda been better off heading to Jenkinsons and smashing some french. 

define smashing some french

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

No i want MTL to win cause them winning means... they can't get the first overall... and IF we get the Arizona pick.. it could be pick 8 or 9 say chicago win too

Right, that’s what I’m saying buddy.

But that was also before I realized EVERY team that is bounced in the play-in has a shot at the 1OA now. I thought it was the order of standings once eliminated like usual.

the reason I want anyone but AZ or VAN to win the lotto is exactly like you said, though, so we get better picks.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

define smashing some french

F. R.O.G.S.

turns to French every gd time 

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Right, that’s what I’m saying buddy.

But that was also before I realized EVERY team that is bounced in the play-in has a shot at the 1OA now. I thought it was the order of standings once eliminated like usual.

the reason I want anyone but AZ or VAN to win the lotto is exactly like you said, though, so we get better picks.

Well those teams were ALWAYS going to have a shot at first overall anyway.

I mean... it's SO hard to wrap your head around the whole thing right now... Personally... i don't want... MTL, Rangers, Arizona to win the lottery. And i'd be slightly annoyed if Chicago won cause i mean.. they've had their run lol But without all of them getting an equal shot... it means MTL, Chicago and Arizona were the 3 teams with the biggest odds at winning based on their position.

So now i... believe... say there is a play-in round, that the teams losing will simply be ranked based on their position at the end of the season? 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, titans04 said:

F. R.O.G.S.

Ain’t nothing wrong with smashing some French lol. 

Not sure Jenk’s is where you find it though. 

Edited by mfitz804

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not the place for this - but I sure hope those of you that loved seeing the Devils win meaningless games down the stretch enjoy this show.

Ffs

We're really gonna still play this game when Detroit lost more games than like three teams combined and got boned out of the lottery?  The lottery is r-a-n-d-o-m...how many more times do we have to see a team jump from the teens to a lotto pick, or a team go from 1 to 4 before we give up the ghost on this 'meaningless wins cost us' nonsense.

Heck, a couple more 'meaningless wins' would have gotten us in the play-in tournament, which would have given us a 12.5 percent chance at Lafreniere assuming we ate it there, or a chance at making the actual playoffs which granted we didn't deserve.  I'm kinda glad that scenario didn't happen though since half the board would have been rooting against us (at least) and I almost wouldn't blame them.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

How did that work out for Ottawa and Detroit? 

I don't have much sympathy for Ottawa considering Melnyk and Dorion are buffoons and lucked into the second lotto pick, while they pretty much finished right where they deserved on the other.  But Detroit, yeesh.

• Like 1

If Iaroslav Askarov falls to 17, do you see the devils getting him

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

We're really gonna still play this game when Detroit lost more games than like three teams combined and got boned out of the lottery?  The lottery is r-a-n-d-o-m...how many more times do we have to see a team jump from the teens to a lotto pick, or a team go from 1 to 4 before we give up the ghost on this 'meaningless wins cost us' nonsense.

Heck, a couple more 'meaningless wins' would have gotten us in the play-in tournament, which would have given us a 12.5 percent chance at Lafreniere assuming we ate it there, or a chance at making the actual playoffs which granted we didn't deserve.  I'm kinda glad that scenario didn't happen though since half the board would have been rooting against us (at least) and I almost wouldn't blame them.

Yeah but at the same time... if you had to pick between getting the 7th pick. OR having a shot at the 1OA along 7 other teams... and if you don't win... risk getting a pick as low as 17... that's a tricky one... 

So i'm trying to find the best case scenario here...

So i think this is the best case scenario... considering what would be best for the devils long-term.. In most cases, it's about hoping our division rivals are put in a position where they get a worst draft position while not winning the first OA. I do think Boston will go all the way in the East so i'm not too worried about any metropolitan teams winning the cup.

TOR vs CBJ - Being a divison rival. The best case scenario here is having the BlueJackets making the playoffs so that's taking them out of the run for first OA and getting a worst pick.

PIT vs MTL - Montreal winning here could potentially get us a better pick if we do get the Arizona pick, potentially 9 or 10. But then it would give Pittsburgh an opportunity (a very small chance though) at the first overall and they are division rivals obviously. Best case scenario would be pittsburgh losing and not winning the lottery obviously

NYI vs FLO - This one is sort of not too important but the Islanders being rivals, let's hope they make it far.

CAR vs NYR - Sucks to temporaty root for the Rangers.. but let's face it. We don't want them anywhere near the first overall pick.

CGY vs WIN - This is the most irrelevant series... 2 teams out west. Best case scenario would actually be the loser of this play-in winning first overall i think.

EDM vs CHI - Just like MTL, if Chicago win the play-in, that's making the Arizona pick higher for us.

VAN vs MIN - Well we know vancouver need to win in order to get their first round pick. So let's hope for a first round exit.

NSH vs ARI - Let's hope for Nashville winning. BUT Arizona not winning the lottery. Which let's be honest here... they likely will... but if they don't we'd get the 11th, 10th or 9th pick.. depending on the MTL and Chicago series.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titans04 said:

F. R.O.G.S.

I would love to see you try 

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It wasn’t a “couple” of games.    It was literally our last game.   If we beat Pittsburgh in our last game we would have been ahead of Montreal in points%...     imagine the outrage if we made the playoffs and did a Cinderella run?

and to be fair, prior to last night, it was a chance at the playoffs and a 3pct chance at Lafreniere.  After the first lottery was won, the new odds are 6.25%...  If you make the playoffs, your odds are 0pct.     If you lose the play-in and therefore DONT make the playoffs your odds jump to 12.5%.  

Posted (edited)

What's actually offensive to me about how this turned out is how many of the 16 teams' fanbases in the play-in are actually going to be rooting for them to lose because winning the lotto is a much better chance than a team like Chicago, Montreal, Arizona, etc advancing in the playoffs?  At least do both lotteries after the play-in round.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1