2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils First Pick: #7

Well it's one thing for youngsters to make the jump on a good and competent team. But with a bunch of youngsters, a new coach, having played in months etc etc im not sure if its going to be the best situation to put a young guy in

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for asking! i’m 100% now, and my wife never tested positive.

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me. Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in hi

With how this team is playing, I'm going to just start this thread since draft stuff always cheers me up. This year I'm going to have my draft coverage stepped up a bit, as now I'm writing for Dr

Posted Images

Here is my question. What is best case and worst case drafting scenario this year?

Best case - AZ loses playin, MTL or Chicago win lottery. Devils pick -#10

Vancouver wins play in, but loses first rd of playoffs. Devils pick around 16-18??  

Worst Case - Arizona loses play in but wins lottery. Ari picks 1

vancouver loses play in 

we would lose 2 1st rd draft picks in a stacked draft but then get 2 unprotected picks next year. I for one am sick of kicking the can down the road. 

we need a little more magic on our side 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

image.png.70e5be2e87840b3ea50adc0172716f4d.png

Interesting and could be relevant to NJ.

It's pretty rare that a 7th overall pick makes the NHL right away anyway. No need to rush our pick to join a bad team either

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's pretty rare that a 7th overall pick makes the NHL right away anyway. No need to rush our pick to join a bad team either

Exactly right. No need to rush him to the NHL and then everyone says he sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

While it's quiet, we can talk about possible trades. If we have a Vancouver pick, what do you think about this pick trade back? Especially if we have the Arizona pick. Ottawa has 21 and 33, San Jose has 26 and 34, and Anaheim has 31 and 36. Someone from Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Reichel, Amirov and other interesting prospects will be available in 20`th.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Guadana said:

While it's quiet, we can talk about possible trades. If we have a Vancouver pick, what do you think about this pick trade back? Especially if we have the Arizona pick. Ottawa has 21 and 33, San Jose has 26 and 34, and Anaheim has 31 and 36. Someone from Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Reichel, Amirov and other interesting prospects will be available in 20`th.

Could we get something for letting Sens move up from 21 to 17?  I'm sure Fitz is preparing those scenario's  well ahead.

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Could we get something for letting Sens move up from 21 to 17?  I'm sure Fitz is preparing those scenario's  well ahead.

Ottawa has four 2nd round picks. If they really want someone like Mercer, Jarvis or Hollaway it would be a possible deal. Fitz would make that deal if he picks Holtz or Quinn or both.

Edited by Guadana

Love how the NHL is promoting everything as "The Stanley Cup begins August 1st" though they aren't counting this as the playoffs. fvck off. It's absolutely bullsh!t one of these teams is going to get the #1 overall pick.

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Love how the NHL is promoting everything as "The Stanley Cup begins August 1st" though they aren't counting this as the playoffs. fvck off. It's absolutely bullsh!t one of these teams is going to get the #1 overall pick.

You just know it’ll be the Rags. As if 2020 couldn’t get any worse...

• Angry 1

Now we have to hope the rags beat Carolina in the play ins? I guess it’s better than them having a chance to win 1st OA. I don’t think they’ll go very far in the playoffs  but you never know. Who knows how well any of the playoff teams will be playing at this point. 

Edited by Jerzey
57 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Now we have to hope the rags beat Carolina in the play ins? I guess it’s better than them having a chance to win 1st OA. I don’t think they’ll go very far in the playoffs  but you never know. Who knows how well any of the playoff teams will be playing at this point. 

yeah that'd be ideal that they win and lose in the playoffs. get a worst pick technically and dont win the cup

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that'd be ideal that they win and lose in the playoffs. get a worst pick technically and dont win the cup

I think they own one of Carolina’s first round picks too but fortunately it will be the later of the two picks Carolina has (their own and Toronto’s). I got scared for a second that even if they beat Carolina then they’d just have their pick at 1st OA. 

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-acquire-a-first-round-pick-in-2020-nhl-entry-draft/c-315487218

The first-round pick the Rangers receive from Carolina will be the later selection of the two first-round picks that the Hurricanes own (either Carolina's own first-round pick or Toronto's first-round pick).

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I think they own one of Carolina’s first round picks too but fortunately it will be the later of the two picks Carolina has (their own and Toronto’s). I got scared for a second that even if they beat Carolina then they’d just have their pick at 1st OA. 

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-acquire-a-first-round-pick-in-2020-nhl-entry-draft/c-315487218

The first-round pick the Rangers receive from Carolina will be the later selection of the two first-round picks that the Hurricanes own (either Carolina's own first-round pick or Toronto's first-round pick).

Yap. If carolina`s or toronto`s pick wil be winning one - carolina will be the owners. Anyway better ending for us if any team from the west will win the lottery.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if any of you guys keep up with the team's official podcast, but they recently had Craig Button on to talk about the draft and also Jamie Langenbrunner the episode before that.

EDIT: Listened to the Langenbrunner podcast and boy did the Devils do wrong by him. Pretty lame.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

Yeah how Lou handled that whole situation with Jamie, taking him out of the lineup, leaving him, the coache and the players completely in the dark and not communicating exactly what was happening with anyone and letting it drag... was certainly one of the multiple way Lou paved the way for Jamie's best friend to leave. 

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah how Lou handled that whole situation with Jamie, taking him out of the lineup, leaving him, the coache and the players completely in the dark and not communicating exactly what was happening with anyone and letting it drag... was certainly one of the multiple way Lou paved the way for Jamie's best friend to leave. 

Who was his best friend?

I like this guy (#19, right hand shot) for one of the Devils' later first round picks. He has got a great shot, amazing hands, and underrated playmaking ability. If you check out this video, you can see the intensity level that he plays with. Strong defensively, good on the PK, and impressive vision. It seems like there isn't much to dislike about his game. He's a 6'0 right winger, which incidentally fills a major organizational need. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:
Not sure if any of you guys keep up with the team's official podcast, but they recently had Craig Button on to talk about the draft and also Jamie Langenbrunner the episode before that.

EDIT: Listened to the Langenbrunner podcast and boy did the Devils do wrong by him. Pretty lame.

I just listened to the whole Langs podcast too, this morning.

I always liked Langs a lot as a player, and as far as pure contract value goes, his 5-year, $2.8 per season deal that he signed to stick around was an absolute steal of a bargain...I remember being quite surprised at the time that he was signed to such a cost-effective deal (of course, it turns out that he took less to get his no-trade clause...more on that in a bit).  All he did during the course of those five years was put up four out of his five top point totals in the NHL (three times cracking 60+), and of course managed to be an important part of the Devils' top line at one point.  His overall Devils body of work was quite good, and he's one of those guys that I look at and say "He got the absolute most of his ability while he was here."

It's always interesting to hear a player's story right from the player's mouth, the ups and downs, the good memories and bad...sometimes, hearing those stories can re-shape your opinion of a player (especially as a person).  I gained a whole new respect for Jamie after hearing the podcast.  Guy really comes off as incredibly down-to-earth and just an all-around good dude, and he was pretty open and honest throughout the whole interview.  The kind of guy you'd love to have as a neighbor.

He admitted that the Olympic break took something out of him in 2010, and the numbers seem to back that up...after putting up 56 points in 65 GP (including three in three games just after the break), his offensive numbers fell off...just 6 points in 21 GP after (includes five playoff games), which apparently raised the ire of Jacques Lemaire.  Where I give Langs a TON of credit is, based on the way he was treated at the end of his Devils career, I could understand him harboring some real bitterness towards the organization for life, if he wanted to go that route.  Regardless of who the GM is, I will ALWAYS side with a player who chooses to invoke his no-trade clause...it's never the player's fault when a GM is willing to offer a no-trade, and no GM should ever automatically expect to be accommodated if a player who's been given that right decides to exercise it.  As much as I've supported Lou overall, it's fair to say at times that he came off as careless and even borderline reckless when it came to how he handled his cap.  I could understand a guy like Jamie at the time thinking "Wait a minute, all I've done is be better than you ever could have expected me to be, I've been a great soldier and I was a huge reason my team won a Cup in 2003, I left money on the table so you'd give me the no-trade, and you spring 'How about you waive your NTC and bail me out?' in SEPTEMBER on me?!  fvck you!"  I could definitely understand his anger at that time, and how it would've affected his play in 2010-11...a situation not made any better by the team playing horrible hockey, and the fact that a coach he didn't get along with in Lemaire was now back in the fold.  From that point on 2010-11 was irreparably damaged, as far as Langs remaining a Devil went.  

What impressed me most about Jamie during that interview is that he clearly found a way to make peace with the way things ended, even going so far as to say that there's things he definitely could've handled better...even if that's true in some ways, if Jamie had come on and ripped Lou and the Devils organization for the way things ended, I could've easily understood that take as well.  The fact that he seems to be willing to use an "older and wiser" perspective in making peace with the way everything went down, and to more accentuate the good of his time here is admirable.  Not everyone could do that.

As for Lou and Jacques...is it really breaking news anymore that both of them (especially Lou in some cases), despite all of their successes, could be prickly unlikable a$$holes at times?  No one ever said that they were warm and fuzzy...or had great bedside manners...or never made mistakes. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just listened to the whole Langs podcast too, this morning. 

What stood out to me, if I'm remembering correctly, was they tried to take the C from him in the middle of a game in front of everyone. He said Colin White blew a gasket. That's so fvcked up. 

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

What stood out to me, if I'm remembering correctly, was they tried to take the C from him in the middle of a game in front of everyone. He said Colin White blew a gasket. That's so fvcked up. 

Wow.... that is big-time fvcked up. I have to listen, but reading what’s been written here, Lou definitely owed Jamie more than that sh!t. We couldn’t figure out why Jamie had become so unhappy, (from after the Olympics to the time he was traded, he just wasn’t the same guy), and I’m guessing this was a big part of the reason why. He is one of my all-time favorite Devils though, and I’m glad he’s made his peace with the organization. Hope to see him in three years for the 2003 20-year reunion. 

• Like 1