2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

53 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ahhhh i see.... its one of those things you see here and there but you don't care enough to make the effort to know what it is.

Like those huge yellow animals with brown spots, crazy long legs and a ridiculously long neck. 

Hmmm...interesting....

Anton Lundell intrigues me a lot... He seems left behind a little in the rankings, but he looks great. Anyway, the top 10 in this draft is really deep. I'm excited with pretty much any prospect in the top 10, they all seem like top-end talent guys.

Edited by Devs3cups

41 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Anton Lundell intrigues me a lot... He seems left behind a little in the rankings, but he looks great. Anyway, the top 10 in this draft is really deep. I'm excited with pretty much any prospect in the top 10, they all seem like top-end talent guys.

the guy who made the video has to be from Quebec haha

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:10 AM, SterioDesign said:

whats your thought on Byfield starting to drop in many rankings? Many are saying that he's been invisible in the biggest games and unable to rise to the occasion. Namely during the Hlinka tournament, the world juniors when he was dropped in the depth chart of team canada as the tournament went on and didnt so much in the CHL prospect game thing.

At that age it's always a red flag cause you always want to draft a riser and not someone who's already to his ceiling

edit: i do know that byfield is essentially a year younger than Lafreniere but still, him disappearing in big games is no good

I can't agree at all with Byfield starting to drop in some rankings, mostly because I believe it's 95% tied to his showing at the World Juniors (where I thought he was fine, just snake bitten) and the fact he didn't light up the Top Prospect game, which is after all, just one game.

As you mentioned, Byfield is essentially a year younger than Lafreniere; if he were born a month later he would have been in next year's draft. In that sense, if people want to look at the World Juniors, his tournament this year is more comparable to Lafreniere's tournament from last year, since that's when they were the same age (Lafreniere had only 1 point in last year's tournament as well). I can't agree with him not stepping up in big games, because he completely carries his team on Sudbury on his back and steps up when that team needs him, without Byfield that team would be completely sunk and instead they're leading their division. He actually came up in the clutch in a game against Barrie fairly recently, who's one of the teams that's chasing the Wolves for the top of the Central Division. Byfield got both the tying goal in the 3rd period and the OT winner, both of which were beauties:

Bottom line, the way I see Byfield is he's a still very green 17-year-old kid who's already a 6'4" monster who's dominating kids sometimes 3 years older than him in the OHL on a nightly basis (32 goals, 74 points in 40 games is his tally to this point). He's big, fast, agile, skilled, competitive; he really is the full package, I don't see any holes in his game.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm assuming Jack Quinn is some fancy new Hughes hybrid. 

He's frickin' wicked is what he is, a little on the older side of this draft but he's leading the OHL in goals at the moment with 44 in 49 games. Also plays on Ottawa with Bahl, Clarke, Hoelscher, and Okhotyuk, I'll have an article coming out on him in the very near future.

Not sure if I want him on the Devils more because he's awesome, or because we could run a line combo of Quinn - Hughes in the top 6

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:10 PM, Devs3cups said:

There's some people really sleeping on this kid, but I think he'd be an easy top 5 in other years. He's my #7 at the moment, some are lower on him because they don't see elite skill or skating but he might be the smartest player in the Draft. He's one of the best playmakers available and has legitimate future Selke potential. I think his puck skills are still quite good and he can make plays, I'd say his skill level is high-end but not quite elite.

His Draft Year production rate would be the 6th highest coming out of the Finnish Liiga in the last 20 years:
1. Mikael Grunlund - 0.93
2. Aleksander Barkov - 0.91
3. Kaapo Kakko - 0.84
4. Patrik Laine - 0.72
5. Teuvo Teravainen - 0.70
6. Anton Lundell - 0.68
7. Artturi Lehkonen - 0.67
8. Jesse Puljujarvi - 0.56
9. Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 0.51
10. Mikko Rantanen - 0.50

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

He's frickin' wicked is what he is, a little on the older side of this draft but he's leading the OHL in goals at the moment with 44 in 49 games. Also plays on Ottawa with Bahl, Clarke, Hoelscher, and Okhotyuk, I'll have an article coming out on him in the very near future.

Not sure if I want him on the Devils more because he's awesome, or because we could run a line combo of Quinn - Hughes in the top 6

Being on the 67's, id assume the Devils scouts must be very familiar with him. You know this stuff better than I do: Does he project to go around the 3-8 area that we will probably be picking in?

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Being on the 67's, id assume the Devils scouts must be very familiar with him. You know this stuff better than I do: Does he project to go around the 3-8 area that we will probably be picking in?

He's been shooting up the boards over the past couple months; in December he was slated in the 2nd Round by a lot people but now he's starting to claw his way closer toward the teens.

If the Coyotes pick ends up in the 16-20 range, I'd be interested in Quinn there. My last ranking had him at 24th, but he's already climbed up from there for me in the lone month since I've done my last round of rankings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

He's been shooting up the boards over the past couple months; in December he was slated in the 2nd Round by a lot people but now he's starting to claw his way closer toward the teens.

If the Coyotes pick ends up in the 16-20 range, I'd be interested in Quinn there. My last ranking had him at 24th, but he's already climbed up from there for me in the lone month since I've done my last round of rankings.

If that kind of talent is hanging around in the late teens, this could be a very important draft for us. Thank you for the response. I need to read up on these guys more as we approach the draft. I usually don't get too far into it until the season ends but this year is looking like quite a draft. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

right now - I would say the Coyotes have a very good shot at missing the playoffs.  Their next 10 is brutal.

6 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

right now - I would say the Coyotes have a very good shot at missing the playoffs.  Their next 10 is brutal.

I'm really pulling for them to miss. If we walk away from this 1st Round with a haul that looks something like Jamie Drysdale at 4th and Noel Gunler around 13th, that would be absolutely massive.

EDIT: Also want to throw out the possibility of potentially nabbing Yaroslav Askarov with that second 1st Rounder. I'd prefer more skater help, but Askarov is going to be an elite goalie. I really like Mac, but Askarov would be a long term solution. I like Mac a lot, but I'm a little uneasy pinning our full future in net on just him.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I'm really pulling for them to miss. If we walk away from this 1st Round with a haul that looks something like Jamie Drysdale at 4th and Noel Gunler around 13th, that would be absolutely massive.

EDIT: Also want to throw out the possibility of potentially nabbing Yaroslav Askarov with that second 1st Rounder. I'd prefer more skater help, but Askarov is going to be an elite goalie. I really like Mac, but Askarov would be a long term solution. I like Mac a lot, but I'm a little uneasy pinning our full future in net on just him.

Yes to both Drysdale and Askarov but I'd be amazed if the stars align to make that happen.

7 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

The idea that Gunler, Quinn, or Lundell could be available at the Devils' second pick is really exciting. Quinn seems least likely now, but the Devils are nearly guaranteed to come out of the first round with 2 high end prospects.

Right now, I'm looking at Stutzle and Drysdale for the earlier pick. But honestly, if it's Raymond, Holtz, or Rossi, you can't be mad at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't see Lafreniere in our future, and Detroit has more than sucked enough to deserve him, but the Raymond type guys will probably be our prize. 

Yeah, I think he’s going to Detroit. 

I want to pick as high as possible, but I kind of hope things fall into place so we end up with Jamie Drysdale around 4-5. We need help on defense so badly. 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:16 PM, nessus said:

The idea that Gunler, Quinn, or Lundell could be available at the Devils' second pick is really exciting. Quinn seems least likely now, but the Devils are nearly guaranteed to come out of the first round with 2 high end prospects.

Right now, I'm looking at Stutzle and Drysdale for the earlier pick. But honestly, if it's Raymond, Holtz, or Rossi, you can't be mad at that.

If we're picking 4th or 5th and Raymond is there I'm sprinting to the podium to pick him, he's someone who has been dropping in some rankings that has no business doing so. In my mind, 1, 2, and 3 are all on their separate tiers – Lafreniere is tier 1, Byfield tier 2, Raymond tier 3. Tier 4 for me is that lump through the rest of the Top 10 or so with Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, Lundell, Holtz, and Perfetti.

If we did end up with Stützle, Rossi, or Drysdale over Raymond, I'd still be relatively fine, but just a tad disappointed because I think Raymond could be one of the best wingers in the NHL in a few years. FWIW, Stützle-Rossi-Drysdale is my 4-6 right now, in that order.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, CommonDreads said:

If we're picking 4th or 5th and Raymond is there I'm sprinting to the podium to pick him, he's someone who has been dropping in some rankings that has no business doing so. In my mind, 1, 2, and 3 are all on their separate tiers – Lafreniere is tier 1, Byfield tier 2, Raymond tier 3. Tier 4 for me is that lump through the rest of the Top 10 or so with Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, Lundell, Holtz, and Perfetti.

If we did end up with Stützle, Rossi, or Drysdale over Raymond, I'd still be relatively fine, but just a tad disappointed because I think Raymond could be one of the best wingers in the NHL in a few years. FWIW, Stützle-Rossi-Drysdale is my 4-6 right now, in that order.

If i were to ask you to come up with a NHL comparable for all those guys who would they be?