2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

On 1/9/2020 at 4:29 PM, CommonDreads said:

Put out my newest rankings this afternoon, take a look if you're so inclined!

Lafreniere, Byfield, and Raymond are still my top 3, with Stützle and Rossi squeezing their way into the Top 5. The 1st Round was super hard for me to whittle down, which will also be relevant for us with at least two 1st Rounders coming up. My ideal scenario is obviously landing Lafreniere at the top and then someone like Jeremie Poirier or Emil Andrae with the Yotes pick.

I'm assuming Jack Quinn is some fancy new Hughes hybrid. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Any chance Lafreniere slips past 1OA at this point?

Starting to see some people talking about Byfield and/or Raymond potentially overtaking him at some point.

I'm not sure how that's possible.

Lafreniere ended up winning the MVP of the world juniors while Byfield was glued to the bench during the gold medal game.

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not sure how that's possible.

Lafreniere ended up winning the MVP of the world juniors while Byfield was glued to the bench during the gold medal game.

It's conceivable that if Byfield has a really good playoff run, some team might galaxy brain things and take him because he's a center and almost a year younger.

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It's conceivable that if Byfield has a really good playoff run, some team might galaxy brain things and take him because he's a center and almost a year younger.

Yeah but that remain to be seen. Again he disappeared during all the big games he played this year... so that will always be a concern for teams

if only there was some logic behind it like last year at least Kakko had the whole... playing against top competition and producing more on the bigger stage etc etc

This year we really don't have that. Lafrenniere was a MONSTER at the world juniors.

Lafreniere has 84 pts in 39 games and 10 pts in the world juniors. And Byfield has 73 in 39 games and 1 pts in the world juniors.

Byfield is almost a year younger (which is indeed huge at that age) so i guess that's all he has going for him.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

if only there was some logic behind it like last year at least Kakko had the whole... playing against top competition and producing more on the bigger stage etc etc

This year we really don't have that. Lafrenniere was a MONSTER at the world juniors.

Lafreniere has 84 pts in 39 games and 10 pts in the world juniors. And Byfield has 73 in 39 games and 1 pts in the world juniors.

Byfield is almost a year younger (which is indeed huge at that age) so i guess that's all he has going for him.

Last year (when he was the same age as Byfield this year) Lafreniere had 1 point in 5 games during the WJC. Crazy the difference one year makes for those guys.

8 minutes ago, nessus said:

You don't like Drysdale? Kind of like Byram in last year's draft, I would think about taking Drysdale as early as 3rd overall.

I honestly don’t know much about him. Looking at some mocks it seems he could definitely go top 5 though. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh you can’t pick a bow tie guy first....

Yeah and he wears a LOT of them. It was not a drunken moment or a mistake. He does it on purpose. Every. Time. 

55 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Really hoping the Coyotes continues to struggle. Could end up with two top 10 picks this year (as long as they don't win the lottery)... 

They have Taylor tho so it has a high chance of happening