2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

Well im truly wondering what's happening at this point... the condition for the vancouver pick was that they were keeping the pick if they didn't make the playoffs....

So if the season is over (which it likely is....)

Well they kiiiiiiiiiiiiind of made the playoffs...... but also kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of didn't? 

Honestly i'm not even sure what to make of that and what would be fair... obviously my mind is automatically going for us getting the pick... but that's obviously a biased take lol

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It might be crazy but at this point, I am feeling like drafting 6, 10 and 17 in a deep draft makes more sense than trading the picks away. 

Unless, well, 6 and 17 get you #1 lol. 

oh yeah just so the doom and gloom posters here can whine about picking 3 first overall busts?!? 

:P

Honestly Lafreniere was amazing for team canada but when i went to see him in february live. Even though he got 2 pts i was now blown away by him like i've been watching guys like Crosby, Mackinnon, Elhers etc at the same age

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well im truly wondering what's happening at this point... the condition for the vancouver pick was that they were keeping the pick if they didn't make the playoffs....

So if the season is over (which it likely is....)

Well they kiiiiiiiiiiiiind of made the playoffs...... but also kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of didn't? 

Honestly i'm not even sure what to make of that and what would be fair... obviously my mind is automatically going for us getting the pick... but that's obviously a biased take lol

Good point. What would happen to that pick if they qualified for the playoffs, but the playoffs get cancelled completely? I suppose if the league just calls the whole thing off, technically NOBODY made the playoffs because there were no playoffs to make. 

• Like 1

This might be answered better by one of our Canadian brothers. How does CHL draft work? Are (representatives) of all 3 leagues/teams (WHL, OHL, and Q) in the same room together? Or do teams in each league independently choose which could be same player? (said player chooses which team he eventually goes to?  Do all 3 leagues do it at the same time? Clue a dummy in. If a player is drafted by a couple teams, when does he have to commit by?

15 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

This might be answered better by one of our Canadian brothers. How does CHL draft work? Are (representatives) of all 3 leagues/teams (WHL, OHL, and Q) in the same room together? Or do teams in each league independently choose which could be same player? (said player chooses which team he eventually goes to?  Do all 3 leagues do it at the same time? Clue a dummy in. If a player is drafted by a couple teams, when does he have to commit by?

Well it's a bit complicated and would be a very long post if i'd explain everything in detail. But there's the import draft to get players from outside of north america. They actually rank ALL juniors teams from the 3 leagues in reverse order like the NHL does but cross all leagues. And you have 2 picks, but then there's conditions and you need to have an open spot for the player to draft him if not you gotta pass. Also it's risky cause the player might not come. When i worked for the owner of the Acadie-Bathurst Titans, (who drafted Mario Lemieux) he kept going on about drafting Kovalchuk but was never able to convince him to come over. And he lost money, i forgot how much but you gotta pay to draft an import.

Then for players from North america.. then i believe each leagues has a specific territory they can pick from. Like for the Quebec league... they can get players from Quebec and all the atlantique provinces (where i live) and then a chunk of the states... same thing for the other leagues, they all have their "zones" to pick from

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's a bit complicated and would be a very long post if i'd explain everything in detail. But there's the import draft to get players from outside of north america. They actually rank ALL juniors teams from the 3 leagues in reverse order like the NHL does but cross all leagues. And you have 2 picks, but then there's conditions and you need to have an open spot for the player to draft him if not you gotta pass. Also it's risky cause the player might not come. When i worked for the owner of the Acadie-Bathurst Titans, (who drafted Mario Lemieux) he kept going on about drafting Kovalchuk but was never able to convince him to come over. And he lost money, i forgot how much but you gotta pay to draft an import.

Then for players from North america.. then i believe each leagues has a specific territory they can pick from. Like for the Quebec league... they can get players from Quebec and all the atlantique provinces (where i live) and then a chunk of the states... same thing for the other leagues, they all have their "zones" to pick from

Thanks SD. Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder does the USHL draft players from Canada? Also, wonder if they will ever play against each other? Even exhibition.

Does anyone think Stutzle will drop to us at 6? That's who I would love to get. 

I can definitely see Lafreniere, Byfield,  and Drysdale going ahead of him but after that I have my doubts.

Rossi would be a nice consolation prize. Jake Sanderson at 10. I do not want Askarov unless its with the 17th pick, and no to Noel Gunler... too many issues. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

At 6,  doubtful Drysdale will still be there, but if he is do we take him instead of Cole Perfetti? Rossi?

As much as I’d like to have Rossi, if Drysdale is there I think you have to take him. I’d feel much better with both him and Smith in the system. You’d think at least one of them would pan out. 

On 4/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, vadvlfan said:

Thanks SD. Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder does the USHL draft players from Canada? Also, wonder if they will ever play against each other? Even exhibition.

Here'S a bit of info

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ushl-makes-major-changes-to-import-player-rules-and-schedule

• Like 1

Stutzle would be a great fit with the Devils, but it unfortunately looks like he's a lock for the top 5, if not the top 3. I think I'd be about equally happy if the Devils drafted Rossi or Drysdale, although I think I slightly would prefer Rossi at this point. Rossi simply looks like such a complete player with no clear weaknesses in his game. He's a little undersized for an NHL center, but he definitely is not someone to shy away physically. His vision, creativity, and especially passing would bring a lot to this team. Drysdale, on the other hand, has some of the best skating in this draft class, and thinking of him QBing the Devils' power play for years to come would be really awesome. Like Rossi, a phenomenal passer with lots of creativity. Either of those guys would make this draft a big time success for the Devils.

The two best fits in my opinion are Holtz and Quinn - two guys with incredible shots who look like they'll be goal scorers at the NHL level. Holtz's shot is particularly impressive, with a very quick release and crazy accuracy for someone at his level of development. Taking Quinn with the first pick would be a mistake IMO, he's someone to target at 10 probably.

Raymond, in my opinion is arguably the most underrated early first rounder in this draft. Another high level playmaker, but he can score some impressive goals as well. What I like most about him is how effectively he can play the game at such high speeds. It's certainly not on the level of McDavid, but maybe comparable to what we saw in Hughes with how he seems to be able to always find the guy to pass to even when his bursts of speed drag several opposing players toward him.

It's pretty safe to say we'll end up with one of Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz, or Raymond. All would be excellent additions. Although unlikely, isn't completely outside the realm of possibility that one of these guys drops to 10 and the Devils are lucky enough to come away with 2 of them. I'm not quite as high on Perfetti as I am these other guys, but maybe he's the guy that drops, which would also be a great selection.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, nessus said:

Stutzle would be a great fit with the Devils, but it unfortunately looks like he's a lock for the top 5, if not the top 3. I think I'd be about equally happy if the Devils drafted Rossi or Drysdale, although I think I slightly would prefer Rossi at this point. Rossi simply looks like such a complete player with no clear weaknesses in his game. He's a little undersized for an NHL center, but he definitely is not someone to shy away physically. His vision, creativity, and especially passing would bring a lot to this team. Drysdale, on the other hand, has some of the best skating in this draft class, and thinking of him QBing the Devils' power play for years to come would be really awesome. Like Rossi, a phenomenal passer with lots of creativity. Either of those guys would make this draft a big time success for the Devils.

The two best fits in my opinion are Holtz and Quinn - two guys with incredible shots who look like they'll be goal scorers at the NHL level. Holtz's shot is particularly impressive, with a very quick release and crazy accuracy for someone at his level of development. Taking Quinn with the first pick would be a mistake IMO, he's someone to target at 10 probably.

Raymond, in my opinion is arguably the most underrated early first rounder in this draft. Another high level playmaker, but he can score some impressive goals as well. What I like most about him is how effectively he can play the game at such high speeds. It's certainly not on the level of McDavid, but maybe comparable to what we saw in Hughes with how he seems to be able to always find the guy to pass to even when his bursts of speed drag several opposing players toward him.

It's pretty safe to say we'll end up with one of Rossi, Drysdale, Holtz, or Raymond. All would be excellent additions. Although unlikely, isn't completely outside the realm of possibility that one of these guys drops to 10 and the Devils are lucky enough to come away with 2 of them. I'm not quite as high on Perfetti as I am these other guys, but maybe he's the guy that drops, which would also be a great selection.

This is the one thing that makes me wonder. We already have 2 smallish playmaker centers already. Obviously if he's the true best player available you take him. But i feel we really need someone who can put the puck in the net frequently or a dman.

But you did mention that in your next paragraph

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sanderson seems to be moving up some lists. If we drafted him we’d have 2 players in our system that I remember watching their father’s play. I saw a lot of Geoff Sanderson in the early years of the Blue Jackets. Always liked him. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Sanderson seems to be moving up some lists. If we drafted him we’d have 2 players in our system that I remember watching their father’s play. I saw a lot of Geoff Sanderson in the early years of the Blue Jackets. Always liked him. 

I still have a Sanderson Jackets replica jersey that I bought randomly back in the day. I thought it looked cool. Crazy to think his kid is about to be drafted

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, Nicomo said:

On 6/22/2020 at 10:40 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I still have a Sanderson Jackets replica jersey that I bought randomly back in the day. I thought it looked cool. Crazy to think his kid is about to be drafted

I most remember Geoff Sanderson for the Whalers...crazy.

So, in summary for tonight..

Stolen from reddit:

We pretty much will know the general outcome in terms of how many of the eight won the lottery right as the TV event begins.

To explain further.

If NONE of the eight teams win the lottery, Daly will start his countdown/flipping at 7.

If ONE of the eight teams win the lottery, Daly will start his countdown/flipping at 8.

If TWO of the eight teams win the lottery, Daly will start his countdown/flipping at 9.

If ALL THREE of the eight teams win the lottery, No count down as we will know where every team is.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

I still loathe the fact a team that is playing for the Cup is still having a chance at the 1st overall. Of all the good things the NHL has done during COVID, this was the dumbest by far.

“RUSH THE DRAFT LOTTERY”

”But we can just do it in a few more...”

”RUSH IT!”

• Like 3