Sign in to follow this  
CommonDreads

2020 NHL Draft Thread

On 2/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, CommonDreads said:

If we're picking 4th or 5th and Raymond is there I'm sprinting to the podium to pick him, he's someone who has been dropping in some rankings that has no business doing so. In my mind, 1, 2, and 3 are all on their separate tiers – Lafreniere is tier 1, Byfield tier 2, Raymond tier 3. Tier 4 for me is that lump through the rest of the Top 10 or so with Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, Lundell, Holtz, and Perfetti.

If we did end up with Stützle, Rossi, or Drysdale over Raymond, I'd still be relatively fine, but just a tad disappointed because I think Raymond could be one of the best wingers in the NHL in a few years. FWIW, Stützle-Rossi-Drysdale is my 4-6 right now, in that order.

If i were to ask you to come up with a NHL comparable for all those guys who would they be?

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If i were to ask you to come up with a NHL comparable for all those guys who would they be?

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me.

Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in his prime, big center with loads of skill and a great shot, though I find Byfield to be quicker than Staal was. Byfield is a tough one to gauge in terms of comparables because of how complete he is, not a lot of guys that have every tool like Byfield does. Mats Sundin is another that comes to mind, but I'm cautious in comparing him to one of the better Euros of all-time.

Lucas Raymond has a lot of the same playmaking attributes as Claude Giroux, fantastic hands, excellent vision, and can really burn too. His edgework is excellent; not as gritty as Giroux, but that honestly might just be something he inherited from playing in Philly.

Tim Stützle honestly reminds me of Taylor Hall. Fantastic skater, great hands but more often uses his skating to beat defenders, excellent passer, and can really shoot the puck. Marco Rossi, and some of you are gonna kill me for this, reminds a bit of prime Scott Gomez (I'm talking the 84 point version of Gomer). Smooth and quick skater with quite possibly the best vision and passing ability in the draft, reads the play really well and is a zone entry beast. I think Rossi's skill level is higher than Gomez's was, but broad strokes, his game has looked similar to me. For Jamie Drysdale, I like Kris Letang; 4-way skating ability and a really good offensive brain with a high skill ceiling. Anton Lundell I liken a bit to Henrik Zetterberg, good two-way player with fantastic hockey sense and playmaking ability. Alexander Holtz is a little reminiscent of Daniel Alfredsson, gifted sniper with all-around skill and skating ability. Perfetti is a little tricky for me to pin down, because he has aspects that remind me of a few different players; his shot (and particularly his release) is very Matthews like, but he's on the smaller side and his skating ability is roughly average. Joe Pavelski might be a decent comp, but I think Perfetti's puck skills project better than Pavelski's.

Quick on the lone goaltender worth 1st Round consideration, Yaroslav Askarov is a dead ringer for John Gibson for me, minus the right catching glove. The movement, poise, stance, hockey sense, it all screams Gibson to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Lafreniere reminds me a bit of John Tavares. Lafreniere has more bite and physicality to his game, but the offensive tools are a dead ringer to Tavares for me.

Byfield reminds of Eric Staal in his prime, big center with loads of skill and a great shot, though I find Byfield to be quicker than Staal was. Byfield is a tough one to gauge in terms of comparables because of how complete he is, not a lot of guys that have every tool like Byfield does. Mats Sundin is another that comes to mind, but I'm cautious in comparing him to one of the better Euros of all-time.

Lucas Raymond has a lot of the same playmaking attributes as Claude Giroux, fantastic hands, excellent vision, and can really burn too. His edgework is excellent; not as gritty as Giroux, but that honestly might just be something he inherited from playing in Philly.

Tim Stützle honestly reminds me of Taylor Hall. Fantastic skater, great hands but more often uses his skating to beat defenders, excellent passer, and can really shoot the puck. Marco Rossi, and some of you are gonna kill me for this, reminds a bit of prime Scott Gomez (I'm talking the 84 point version of Gomer). Smooth and quick skater with quite possibly the best vision and passing ability in the draft, reads the play really well and is a zone entry beast. I think Rossi's skill level is higher than Gomez's was, but broad strokes, his game has looked similar to me. For Jamie Drysdale, I like Kris Letang; 4-way skating ability and a really good offensive brain with a high skill ceiling. Anton Lundell I liken a bit to Henrik Zetterberg, good two-way player with fantastic hockey sense and playmaking ability. Alexander Holtz is a little reminiscent of Daniel Alfredsson, gifted sniper with all-around skill and skating ability. Perfetti is a little tricky for me to pin down, because he has aspects that remind me of a few different players; his shot (and particularly his release) is very Matthews like, but he's on the smaller side and his skating ability is roughly average. Joe Pavelski might be a decent comp, but I think Perfetti's puck skills project better than Pavelski's.

Quick on the lone goaltender worth 1st Round consideration, Yaroslav Askarov is a dead ringer for John Gibson for me, minus the right catching glove. The movement, poise, stance, hockey sense, it all screams Gibson to me.

Cool thanks. That's always useful. What made me go team Nico before his draft was that i read that Nico was basically like Zetterberg and Nolan was a Eric Staal.

Ultimately i'm actually not sure if i'd agree with that comparison so far but i'm happy with Nico nonetheless haha

• Like 1

I will forever take these pre-draft NHL comparisons with a grain of salt after some of the ones I have heard in the past.

Examples are JJ to Elias (was said by one of the analysts shortly after we drafted him) and Larsson to Lidstrom.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Cool thanks. That's always useful. What made me go team Nico before his draft was that i read that Nico was basically like Zetterberg and Nolan was a Eric Staal.

Ultimately i'm actually not sure if i'd agree with that comparison so far but i'm happy with Nico nonetheless haha

Still think Nico is more Datsyuk than Zetterberg.