GDT: Devils Vs Bruins, 19 Nov 19, 7pm Eastern

jagknife

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's not THE problem, but he's A problem.  Very disappointing, especially since he was expected to contribute offensively.  But overall I just see a guy who would've been a perfect fit on the late 90s - early 00s Rangers...a (former) name player who's now past his prime but being paid very handsomely to be a much lesser version of himself.  I understood taking the risk (especially since the price to acquire him wasn't prohibitive), but like I've said...looks like Nashville knew what they were doing. 

Ouch ouch ouch...harsh but 100% true right now. 

I watched until the fourth goal against last night.  Had to shut it off after seeing Blackwood let in that softy with PK ducking as if the puck was on fire.

As much as I firmly believe Hynes has to go, some of this falls on the players as well.  It looks like we got suckered in with that PK trade 20 games in.  Even Avery was dunking on him last night on twitter after PK did his impression of olé at the blue line to let the Bruins player (believe it was Pasta) in for a goal.  I know he is a personable guy but now even his online schtick is starting to annoy me like KK's did when he was here.

Hall doesn't care.  He checked out the minute the season started.  Piss off you princess.

Hughes has gone invisible since Wood was moved on his line.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

The only line that seemed to give two sh!ts was the Coleman-Zajac-Guven ("Worst player in the NHL" brought to you by Natural Stat Trick©) line.

Watched some of the post-game interviews after the game and it was the same spiel and slogans they spew after every loss.  God forbid our non-team employed beat reporters ask these schmucks a real question rather than the usual "what are your thoughts on the game?"

Rejean needs to do something and now.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. It was basically Schneider until he got hurt. Then Kinkaid got significant playing time, but was anyone thinking he was the “answer”.

Wedgewood played 4 games. Appleby played 3. All of those were because of injuries, not because anyone thought they were next in line. 

I don’t think they’ve really made any effort to make someone “the guy” until just now. 

Just because they didn't get playing time or many starts doesn't mean they weren't looking at them and seeing if they had the potential to be a #1.  And even if they weren't, my point wasn't necessarily just about the team putting in the work to find said guy, but rather that, regardless of whether or not they were actually looking for the next guy, they didn't have one.  It appears we might though, so I just don't want a good opportunity to get wasted, and I fear that's what may happen.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I watched until the fourth goal against last night.  Had to shut it off after seeing Blackwood let in that softy with PK ducking as if the puck was on fire.

As much as I firmly believe Hynes has to go, some of this falls on the players as well.  It looks like we got suckered in with that PK trade 20 games in.  Even Avery was dunking on him last night on twitter after PK did his impression of olé at the blue line to let the Bruins player (believe it was Pasta) in for a goal.  I know he is a personable guy but now even his online schtick is starting to annoy me like KK's did when he was here.

Hall doesn't care.  He checked out the minute the season started.  Piss off you princess.

Hughes has gone invisible since Wood was moved on his line.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

The only line that seemed to give two sh!ts was the Coleman-Zajac-Guven ("Worst player in the NHL" brought to you by Natural Stat Trick©) line.

Watched some of the post-game interviews after the game and it was the same spiel and slogans they spew after every loss.  God forbid our non-team employed beat reporters ask these schmucks a real question rather than the usual "what are your thoughts on the game?"

Rejean needs to do something and now.

We need some good old Canadian reporters. Our reporters are lame. I don’t even listen to the post game interviews anymore. They’re so useless

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Coleman had the best one, you could tell he was generally annoyed and showed some passion. Seemed like another day in the office for Greene though. 

59 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Let’s cheer up the Leafs are only 4 point ahead of us and are under .500 with 3 games in hand. 
With the team they have they’re  the ones that should be complaining. 

Does that make anyone feel better?😂🤷‍♂️

Quite a lot of talk about Babcock getting sacked. For no particular reason I'm not a fan of his and I hope he doesn't end up in NJ.

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Just because they didn't get playing time or many starts doesn't mean they weren't looking at them and seeing if they had the potential to be a #1.  And even if they weren't, my point wasn't necessarily just about the team putting in the work to find said guy, but rather that, regardless of whether or not they were actually looking for the next guy, they didn't have one.  It appears we might though, so I just don't want a good opportunity to get wasted, and I fear that's what may happen.

I don't think the organization ever viewed Wedge or Appleby as legit #1 candidates...Wedge was basically given away for a 5th-round pick, and like mfitz said, Appleby got a brief look because a hell of a lot went wrong. 

41 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

We need some good old Canadian reporters. Our reporters are lame. I don’t even listen to the post game interviews anymore. They’re so useless

My favorite was when they asked Greene about how good Pasternak is. What the fvck kind of question is that after the just got spanked by the dude?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devils01 said:

Any defensemen available for a hall trade? 

We need some serious D upgrades pronto, Hall will bring us back something of value. Cause our D completely sucks....  Almost a quarter of the season and we've got 18 points. Boys were looking at possibly 75 Pt season as of now. Also 51 goals for is next to dead last, ugh. Last night was a prime example of Team structure and the Bruins owned all 3 zones. Looked like the Bruins knew exactly what we were going do, up and down the ice. Now is the time, for a big change. 

Edited by Gunslinger27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

How many times can you listen to "We know what we have to do, we just have to do it"?

Coach needs to be replaced when you hear that game after game.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You said that we’ve spent a fair amount of time searching for a Brodeur replacement. We didn’t. It’s been Cory until the other day. 7 games for two nobodys and KK playing because he was here and Cory was hurt is not spending a fair amount of time evaluating anyone as a replacement starter. 

1 hour ago, lazer said:

just throwing this up for now

giphy.gif

My influence is widespread. I’m the herpes of NJDevs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You said that we’ve spent a fair amount of time searching for a Brodeur replacement. We didn’t. It’s been Cory until the other day. 7 games for two nobodys and KK playing because he was here and Cory was hurt is not spending a fair amount of time evaluating anyone as a replacement starter. 

My influence is widespread. I’m the herpes of NJDevs. 

Well, again, just because they were only in net physically for 7 games doesn't mean they weren't dressed and/or in the system for the other 75.  I was referring to the collective time, i.e. the last 4-5 years - you can tell me when Brodeur left (and in reality, even before then, probably a good year or two as we were seeing the writing on the wall) that they weren't looking at a replacement behind the scenes, but they were.  They were doing it through the acquisition of Cory, they were doing it through the stints of Kinkaid (both when Cory was hurt, and when he was healthy), and during the small stints of the other guys I mentioned, which, FYI, there were more too, but I honestly mentioned some of the recent and more note-worthy names. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So you believe they were evaluating any of those guys to be Brodeur’s replacement? Like I said, I disagree. 

In general terms, yes.  Now when you say the word replacement, I'm not using it in the sense that they were supposed to be A) long-term replacements, nor B ) that they were meant to be as good of a replacement, but a replacement nonetheless. 

When you go 20 years without having to worry about a particular position on your team it can be easy to forget about it, but I think everyone knew that Brodeur's career was winding down from around 2010 onward.  We squeezed another awesome playoff run out of him in 2012 and it almost resulted in another Cup, but by then it was clear we needed someone to replace him.  Some teams get lucky and find their heir right away and the transition is seamless.  Others go through several guys, most if not all of whom are fringe players at best, but regardless of their skill, they're brought in for a reason - to tend net and be a team's starting everyday goalie.  Otherwise there's no point.  Why even have a backup?  I mean, if you think we don't have a guy like Cormier in the minors because he isn't being looked at to one day be the #1, then I think you're kidding yourself.  We may look back on this post 10 years from now and say "Remember that guy Cormier? Yeah, he only started 3 games for the Devils", but the point is that anyone in the system who's even sniffing some action is likely being evaluated to see if they have what it takes to be a #1. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My favorite was when they asked Greene about how good Pasternak is. What the fvck kind of question is that after the just got spanked by the dude?  

That's a not to subtle way of the beat reporters doing the team's bidding of trying to create a story about how Pasta making the Devils look foolish is expected and that we can't blame the Devils for losing.

That or they are (still) spineless/clueless

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Completely agree.  I mentioned this last night, but for the last several years, essentially since the Brodeur era ended, this team has spent a fair amount of time trying to find the next answer at the goaltender position.  It's a process that doesn't happen overnight - you bring in a guy like Schneider who is a veteran with low miles and seems competent, plays well enough, but eventually breaks down and has what looks to be a career-ending collapse as bad as any, meanwhile you rotate several other guys around him in Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Appleby, etc, giving them chances and seeing if any of them have the potential and ability to be the starter, and it just never comes to fruition.  Now we're in a situation without a true number one, and one of the new guys on the roster is showing some real signs of being a long-term starter in this league.  The problem now is making sure you don't ruin his confidence when the team in front of him sh!ts the bed.  The league doesn't have many goalies left who are dominant year in and year out the way it was 20 years ago with guys like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Joseph, Luongo, etc.  Now you have a few guys maybe in Rask, Fleury, and perhaps Rinne or Price, and the rest of the guys are just so up-and-down with their teams - guys like Quick, Crawford, Bishop - all good goalies who have had moments of success, but have never risen to a truly elite level or sustained consistency and dominance simply because of how the rest of their teams performed.  I'd hate to see that with Blackwood, and have us go through 5-10 years of just ups and downs with him.  This guy may not be the second coming of Brodeur, but by all accounts he's shown at a very early age and limited experience that he's capable.

Dude...paragraphs