Schneider to be placed on waivers at 12 noon

Mitico12

3 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Toronto in a bad spot. We’ve seen crazier things happen

Toronto has zero cap flexability to take on Schneider without dumping a significant piece off their roster. No chance that happens for a goalie who has proven for the better part of two and a half seasons he is struggling.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Toronto has zero cap flexability to take on Schneider without dumping a significant piece off their roster. No chance that happens for a goalie who has proven for the better part of two and a half seasons he is struggling.

and another 2 years after this one at 6M. 

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hall for a struggling Marner, the trade is 1 for 1. 

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it possible to send a guy down on a conditioning stint without having to waive him? As much as Hynes says it isn’t the end, kind of feels like waiving him was at least an attempt at letting someone else pick him up. 

Thats what I thought. I feel as though if they wanted him to get conditioning, a simple IR stint followed by a conditioning stint would have made more sense.

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I believe conditioning stints are limited to a few games. This could be a long term thing

14 days, I believe. But if that was their intention, they wouldn’t have taken the “risk” of waiving him.

I think it’s pretty clear they’re hoping against hope that someone claims him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

14 days, I believe. But if that was their intention, they wouldn’t have taken the “risk” of waiving him.

Yeah definitely on the bolded.

Unfortunately any GM with a brain will think "So the Devils dealt for another goalie because based on what they what they saw both in games and in practices, they strongly suspected that there was no way that Schneider was going to snap out of this (latest) funk.  And now they're moving forward with it.  Thanks, but no thanks!"  It would probably take a Schneider + something (Wood?) for Bobby Ryan-type deal to get another GM to take him.  Nope, I don't wanna do that either. 

Cory's salary is the only thing forcing a "Ya never know" narrative at this point, as far as having any future goes with the Devils (I have a feeling a buyout is coming after this season...Devils will regain $4 million in cap space in 2020-21 and 2021-22, but will be stuck with $2 million in dead money over each of the next 4 seasons.  Sucks for next season because that's $3,916,667 in dead space (includes Cammalleri's buyout and Kovy's recapture), and the Devils aren't quite as flush with cap space as they once were. 

As irrelevant as he seems at the moment, all it's going to take is an injury to either Blackwood or Domingue for Cory to suddenly a part of the big club again this year.  Very scary thought.   

What’s the deal with Domingue anyway? Granted he was on a powerhouse team, but how does a guy coming off a 21-5 season find himself without an NHL job? Save percentage was .908, I get that, but he was serviceable if nothing else. 

I mean, Keith Kinkaid has an NHL job...

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s the deal with Domingue anyway? Granted he was on a powerhouse team, but how does a guy coming off a 21-5 season find himself without an NHL job? Save percentage was .908, I get that, but he was serviceable if nothing else. 

I mean, Keith Kinkaid has an NHL job...

From what I have heard/read from those who have followed him far closer than I am, the opinion is that he stinks.  Like pretty badly.  A few have said he is worse than KK.

We will see.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

From what I have heard/read from those who have followed him far closer than I am, the opinion is that he stinks.  Like pretty badly.  A few have said he is worse than KK.

We will see.

I guess the record could be deceiving. 

75 goals against in 26 games. On our team last year, he might’ve been 5-21 with the same stats. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming this move is to help him find his game while not in the NHL, I think they went the waivers route for 2 reasons. 1) see if anyone takes him, which is a long shot, and 2) because they feel it'll take more than 2 weeks to get his game back. Honestly I'm thinking we don't see him until around New Years if we do at all. If he's rocking a .890 in the AHL after a month, I really think that's it. And I say that as someone who has always been a big Cory defender. He just might be done