Schneider to be placed on waivers at 12 noon

I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies in my Devils' lifetime, and I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies remaining in the league.  I know there's one I'm not thinking of still kicking around somewhere who isn't Domingue, but it's less common than it used to be.

EDIT:  H-R says Mike McKenna was a right-catching goalie.  It also says Domingue isn't, so who knows what it knows.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The real question to be asking here is who the fvck is taking Jack Hughes' to training and making him food!!!!!

End of an era. The timing was just awful. He was incredible when we were sh!t. He was sh!t when we were competent.  players like Schneider should remind everyone just how spectacu

Sad way to go out. Schneider came here and played out of his mind for years on a team that couldn't give him any defense or goal support. Bad timing. 

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Domingue with the rare dark pad set. Also I believe from what I read he's only the 3rd right-hand catching goalie in Devils history 

Based on what I was able to dig up, the other two were Chad Erickson, in 1991-92 (I actually remember seeing him, as he wore #30 before Marty, but I didn't remember what hand he caught with)...interesting lil' factoid...his last NHL game (he played all of two) came two days before Marty's NHL debut.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the other RH catching goalie in Devils history was...

Hannu Kamppuri.  He won one game in the NHL (out of 13, all with the Devils) and had a 5.11 GAA and .845 save%...he played back in 1985 (I was following the Devils back then but I don't remember ANYTHING about him).  Maybe he should've tried catching with the other hand.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on what I was able to dig up, the other two were Chad Erickson (I actually remember seeing him, as he wore #30 before Marty, but I didn't remember what hand he caught with), and...

Hannu Kamppuri.  He won one game in the NHL (out of 13, all with the Devils) and had a 5.11 GAA and .845 save%...he played back in 1985 (I was following the Devils back then but I don't remember ANYTHING about him).  Maybe he should've tried catching with the other hand.

Also, Lindsey Middlebrook, and he was terrible. Oy

11 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Also, Lindsey Middlebrook, and he was terrible. Oy

So there were (at least) three then.  Hope Domingue is better than they all were...

EDIT:  Four actually...forgot McKenna.  So Middlebrook, Kamppuri, Erickson, and McKenna, in chronological order, prior to Domingue.

Another EDIT:  H-R had it wrong for Kamppuri...he caught left-handed (somehow I actually found a photo of this guy).  Maybe he should've worn gloves on both hands, couldn't have done much worse.

See the source image

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This made me actually laugh out loud.

You've provided plenty of laughs here based off your memes alone...I owe you a few!

55 minutes ago, Masked Fan said:

Yeah? I saw McE was less than Dom by a few hundred G's and signed thru next year. That was my figuring. That, and of course, they like what they see in McE.

McElhinney is signed for $150k more per year for the same amount of years, so it really did come down to more of an ability thing. Worth pointing out, though, Domingue was still counting towards the cap by about $225k even though he was in the AHL, so it was worth it for Tampa to move him to get that small amount of cash off their cap.

Middlebrook:

See the source image

McKenna:

Image result for mike mckenna devils

Erickson (more wrong info...turns out he caught left.  So DD56 was right...two RH catching goalies in Devils history before Domingue):

See the source image

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So there were (at least) three then.  Hope Domingue is better than they all were...

EDIT:  Four actually...forgot McKenna.  So Middlebrook, Kamppuri, Erickson, and McKenna, in chronological order, prior to Domingue.

Another EDIT:  H-R had it wrong for Kamppuri...he caught left-handed (somehow I actually found a photo of this guy).  Maybe he should've worn gloves on both hands, couldn't have done much worse.

See the source image

This pretty much confirms my theory that all pre-90's goalies were nuts. I can't believe people stood in front of 100mph slap shots while wearing that little equipment. Really got used to seeing guys in the suits of armor that later came into fashion. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Domingue with the rare dark pad set. Also I believe from what I read he's only the 3rd right-hand catching goalie in Devils history 

298E9BB5-88FF-481F-8E4A-FF7AC0769F12.jpeg

14DC6509-0A17-4B5B-8732-4E6824C2BA9E.jpeg

Those are the nicest pads a Devils goalie has had in awhile, IMO. Wish more of our goalies used black and red pads instead of going with mostly white, those are going to look especially sharp with our home unis.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This pretty much confirms my theory that all pre-90's goalies were nuts. I can't believe people stood in front of 100mph slap shots while wearing that little equipment. Really got used to seeing guys in the suits of armor that later came into fashion. 

Yeah the nets used to look HUGE behind guys like Chico.  Not only did they not wear huge equipment, but they were pretty small by today's standards. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Those are the nicest pads a Devils goalie has had in awhile, IMO. Wish more of our goalies used black and red pads instead of going with mostly white, those are going to look especially sharp with our home unis.

Yeah I think it looks pretty sharp. Clemmensen was another one who always had some really nice schemes. 

I've always paid attention to that stuff, probably because I became a fan in the 90's when a lot of that started getting personalized. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the nets used to look HUGE behind guys like Chico.  Not only did they not wear huge equipment, but there pretty small by today's standards. 

I remember meeting Chris Terreri and being amazed that I was at least a head taller than him. I was 14 years old and had him by like 6 inches and probably 60 pounds. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the nets used to look HUGE behind guys like Chico.  Not only did they not wear huge equipment, but there pretty small by today's standards. 

I loved the athleticism that they had. The NHL replayed Ron Tugnutt's (what an unfortunate name) 70-something save game from 1990 (?) and it reminded me how much more goalies had to react back then, whereas its so based on angles and position now. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ron Tugnutt's (what an unfortunate name) 

I still remember being a kid and opening a pack of hockey cards and laughing our asses off when we found a Ron Tugnutt. 

But it never got quite to the level of finding one of these. 

Unknown.jpeg.76c6f2e224cde4eb99c0ad537d87fa07.jpeg

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I loved the athleticism that they had. The NHL replayed Ron Tugnutt's (what an unfortunate name) 70-something save game from 1990 (?) and it reminded me how much more goalies had to react back then, whereas its so based on angles and position now. 

And that was part of the problem...for all of the fun highlight saves you got to see back then from the "pure reflex" guys like Terreri, you also had wrong guesses that led to a lot of goalies looking flat-out foolish...a lot of them would commit hard and simply couldn't recover.  Playing the percentages isn't as much fun to watch, but you can understand why that became the norm (though I could still do without the bloated equipment of the last several years).

7 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Domingue isn't great, but he's likely better than our other recent options, aside from Blackwood.

Since the start of last season, there have been 71 goalies that have played in at least 10 games. Cory ranks 65th in Goals Saved Against Expected with a -14.85, Kinkaid is 69th with a -24.82. Louis Domingue in that statistic ranks 39th with a -1.46, which still isn't great but makes him a roughly average backup goaltender in that time frame, he's certainly a better option than Schneider at this point (and, by a lot, Kinkaid as well).

For the record, Blackwood is 27th with a +3.36, which I'd say is pretty good considering his nightmarish start to the season before this latest stretch.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

The stat is "goals saved above expectation/expected" or GSAx. But the stat I think you are referring to with your numbers is "goals saved above average," which is simply a measure of how many more or less goals the league average goalie (in terms of save%) would have saved if they faced the same amount of shots as the goaltender in question. This does not factor in shot quality - and GSAA is often given in terms of 5v5 play, not all situations, because teams tend to give up better shots shorthanded and there is variation in terms of the number of times shorthanded.

If we do GSAx, no matter what model we use, Domingue and Schneider are most likely going to come out very close in that category - especially because in your given timeframe, Tampa Bay has had the third lowest xGA in the league. And funny enough, Evolving Hockey (min. FA 50, unadjusted) has Domingue (-8.35) and Schneider (-8.58) at 124th and 125th respectively since the start of last year. Blackwood is 114th with a -5.67. Keith Kinkaid is so far back I don't even feel like looking him up - him and Quick are at the bottom of the league in this category since the start of 18-19.

Edited by Neb00rs
2 hours ago, Triumph said:

I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies in my Devils' lifetime, and I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies remaining in the league.  I know there's one I'm not thinking of still kicking around somewhere who isn't Domingue, but it's less common than it used to be.

EDIT:  H-R says Mike McKenna was a right-catching goalie.  It also says Domingue isn't, so who knows what it knows.

I was shocked for some reason to see McKenna was

As for around the league, wasn't Tebiult (T-Bot, however you really spell his name. Apologies to the French Canadians out there for butchering it) or Theodore that was the Right handed catcher for Montreal?

I also feel like more recently there was another right handed catching starter in the western conference. This is based on zero empirical data and entirely on who I used to play against in NHL XX.

3 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

sv % is overrated, often misleads people when judging a goalie.

Considering how many times you have called Schneider trash when he was putting up crazy numbers before his injury, I take your statement with a big grain of salt.

• Haha 1