Babcock

mikemarc1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair, Babcock has had a lot more to work with through the years than Hynes has in his much shorter sample.  Obviously I'm not a huge Hynes guy at this point and I'm not going to be heartbroken if he doesn't survive the season, but it's only right to point that out. 

Mike Keenan technically has a Cup to his name too (even if it was Messier who really held the team together).  Dan Bylsma and Randy Carlyle do too.  Want either one of them? 

Babcock's teams have gone a combined 32-42 in the playoffs over the last 10 years (winning three series).  Like I said in my previous post, I'm not completely against the idea of Babcock coming aboard and I think Shero has to least look into it, but I think a lot of Devils fans think he's going to turn this around very quickly and in time will almost definitely take this team deep into the playoffs.  I don't think he'll have as much of an impact as fans expect...I think the fact that he's Not-Hynes and won a Cup (almost 12 years now) has fans thinking he's as close to a sure thing as there is.  That I don't see (I do think he should represent an upgrade over Hynes, but I'm not sure if he's the RIGHT one).   

thank you voice of reason.

Babcock hasn't won in playoffs in ages.

The league is always going to be 'what have you done for me lately'

except for some reason we keep our turd coach...

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I clicked quote when I read your third bullet, I calmed down after your 4th.

But in all seriousness, maybe we need a coach in here who isn't known as being Charmin ultra soft on the already triple ply, double quilted team that he is currently in charge of. Maybe we need that sandpaper guy who isn't beloved to remind these clowns that they need to play with some grit and anger.

Not saying he's the answer by any stretch, but man would it be nice for something to change. Aside from the summer, where Congrats, Ray, you won on paper but haven't done sh!t with since excitement, here we sit, with only a few turds keeping us above the corn-filled mess that is the bottom of the toilet. 

• Like 2

Babcock has just got fired from a team with suspect goal tending, not so great defense and some fantastic forwards that he can't get to play for him. So what makes everyone think he can come to a team with suspect goal tending, not so great defense, a couple of fantastic forwards and some very good ones and get them to play for him? As much as I've lost faith in Hynes I don't think Babcock is the answer.

• Like 1

New Jersey Devils
How soon does Babcock want to go back to work? If it’s sometime within the next few weeks, is it all that far-fetched to believe he could get his wish in New Jersey? The Devils are grasping at straws. They’re one clear of dead-last in the Eastern Conference and NHL. Cory Schneider has been demoted to the AHL. Heck, Taylor Hall, who has one of the worst shooting percentages in the league, couldn’t buy a break right now if he took out an advance on the truckload he’ll command as a free agent this summer. There’s very little about this season that has gone according to plan, with New Jersey failing to even meet their bubble-team expectations.

All of this is to say that if John Hynes’ seat isn’t already sun’s-surface hot, it’s likely only a few degrees cooler. One of the league’s winningest coaches – and one who ranks fourth in victories among all active bench bosses – landing on the unemployment line will do little to cool it off. Hiring Babcock could be intriguing for the Devils brass, too, because it’s clear the he has the ability to right a ship. While Toronto suffered through poor results in his first season behind the bench, it was a 40-win team by his second season and a 100-point team in back-to-back campaigns after that.

With one post-season appearance in the past seven seasons (quickly heading towards eight) and only one trip beyond the opening round since 2006-07, Babcock could be the answer.   https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/where-will-mike-babcock-end-up-next-a-look-at-five-potential-nhl-destinations

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Babcock has just got fired from a team with suspect goal tending, not so great defense and some fantastic forwards that he can't get to play for him. So what makes everyone think he can come to a team with suspect goal tending, not so great defense, a couple of fantastic forwards and some very good ones and get them to play for him? As much as I've lost faith in Hynes I don't think Babcock is the answer.

Toronto's defense is probably better than what we got. At least Babs has proven he can be successful. Kessel didn't always do well in Toronto either, then he went and won Stanley Cups with another team. Something about that market sucks the will out of even the best people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Because for the past three years and before that Babcock has gotten results when he has a quality roster.  It’s not that plausible that all the sudden whatever he does doesn’t work in the NHL anymore.   

John Hynes great success was riding an MVP season from Taylor Hall to an eighth seed in the playoffs and a loss in five games.  

The only alternative you have to this is to say that Ray Shero is a terribly overrated GM and talent evaluator and after four years, lots of cap space and lots of draft picks he has proven unable to assemble a quality roster.  In which case you might as well fire him, and replace him with a draft guide and just keep making draft picks until things turn around, because it’s not much different than what we’re seeing.  

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Who's the answer?

We need ANOTHER coach. Somebody other than Hynes. Who gives a s...t about his Toronto fiasco? They got better with him didn't they? We need to get better too. A major change and Bab's experience is what this team needs immediately. 

Edited by Devs64
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Pat Burns didn't win in the playoffs either before he got here, and didn't have a deep playoff run from 1994-2002, let's calm down a little with the can't win in the playoffs.  He got to the Finals three times in a six-year span but then Detroit went on the downswing and Toronto was a flawed team, but he's got over a .600 career winning percentage.  I'll take my chances with a guy who allegedly can't win in the playoffs anymore who usually GETS there at least.  Especially since our team isn't good enough to yet worry about how a coach is going to do in the playoffs.  Let's just get back to being a consistent winner first.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Because for the past three years and before that Babcock has gotten results when he has a quality roster.  It’s not that plausible that all the sudden whatever he does doesn’t work in the NHL anymore.   

John Hynes great success was riding an MVP season from Taylor Hall to an eighth seed in the playoffs and a loss in five games.  

The only alternative you have to this is to say that Ray Shero is a terribly overrated GM and talent evaluator and after four years, lots of cap space and lots of draft picks he has proven unable to assemble a quality roster.  In which case you might as well fire him, and replace him with a draft guide and just keep making draft picks until things turn around, because it’s not much different than what we’re seeing.  

Babcock got fired because he isn't getting results with a quality roster. It is plausible that what Babcock does doesn't work because it hasn't been working, that's why he got the sack. Could he turn things around in NJ? Maybe. Maybe not. Another alternative is to look for another coach that isn't Mike Babcock. There's likely to be more choice at the end of the season (Cooper in Tampa for instance is rumored to be in the spotlight).

9 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Babcock got fired because he isn't getting results with a quality roster. It is plausible that what Babcock does doesn't work because it hasn't been working, that's why he got the sack. Could he turn things around in NJ? Maybe. Maybe not. Another alternative is to look for another coach that isn't Mike Babcock. There's likely to be more choice at the end of the season (Cooper in Tampa for instance is rumored to be in the spotlight).

It is not terribly plausible because we’re talking about a team that’s one game under .500 after 20 games with shaky goaltending and an injured Mitch Marner.  This is on the heels of 110 point season and taking an extremely tough Bruins team to 7 games.  And a 100 point season prior to that. And a playoff appearance before that when the team was in tank mode the year before.

There is no plausible argument that Babcock is not an immediate and order of magnitude improvement over John Hynes.  If Ray has not already made a call to see if Babcock is interested and several follow-up calls to nail the point home, he is even more incompetent and arrogant than I could have possibly thought.  Either that, or Ray and the owners’ strategy is tank until you have a  roster that’s so loaded that Siri can coach it.

I swear, it seems like Mike Commodore is turning into the most influential man in hockey.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

If he's under contract for 6 mil per season, he doesn't get that money if he gets hired elsewhere. Would he go anywhere for less then what he'll get to sit on the couch? He is still under contract to the leafs. If he quits he forfeits that $$. Fla. had to match what Quenville was going to get paid still in contract w/ Hawks. Folks, Babcock is not coming to NJ.   Next!

3 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

If he's under contract for 6 mil per season, he doesn't get that money if he gets hired elsewhere. Would he go anywhere for less then what he'll get to sit on the couch? He is still under contract to the leafs. If he quits he forfeits that $$. Fla. had to match what Quenville was going to get paid still in contract w/ Hawks. Folks, Babcock is not coming to NJ.   Next!

That’s not how it usually works if he’s fired.  At most, he gets paid by a new team is offset against what the Leafs pay him.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Sometimes a new coach just lights a fire under their asses. It isn't always because the system changes over night. I did read a tweet from someone that said 90% of the players were happy to see Bab gone. 

Hynes could be the coolest guy in the locker room. 90% of our roster may hate the idea of replacing him but if another guy rights the ship, the team will be feeling much better. Still, my gut feeling is Ray won't make the move. 

Edited by Devs64
  • Like 4

Yeah I've gotta be honest, I was big time in favor of the Devils grabbing Babcock when the news was announced.

But the general consensus around the NHL seems to be that.. well, he's an overrated egotistical a$$hole who players can't stand playing for.  

May be best to steer clear.

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

what concerns me greatly is actually that, aside from Nico and Jack and Bratt, none of the draft picks have really done much. All the guys in Bingo don't appear to have any real NHL future.

28 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

what concerns me greatly is actually that, aside from Nico and Jack and Bratt, none of the draft picks have really done much. All the guys in Bingo don't appear to have any real NHL future.

The drafting (if you don't include 2015) is the one thing I'll give Ray a pass since we haven't seen any picks that even I said what the hell are you doing like Chatham over Point.  And Jeremy Davies dd help us get Subban.