Babcock

mikemarc1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The drafting (if you don't include 2015) is the one thing I'll give Ray a pass since we haven't seen any picks that even I said what the hell are you doing like Chatham over Point.  And Jeremy Davies dd help us get Subban.

That’s great if you like guys who “donate money to a children’s hospital” or “visits sick kids when he is in Montreal”. 

Fvcking jerk. 

Anyone see this yet?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-allegedly-put-a-rookie-mitch-marner-in-a-tough-spot-024212428.html

Babcock allegedly asked Marner in January of 2017 to list his teammates from “hardest-working to those who, in the eyes of the rookies, didn’t have a strong work ethic,” wrote Koshan about the incident. Per Tulloch, Babcock was frustrated with Marner “for his perceived laziness in the first half of his rookie season.”

Wanting to appease his boss, Marner did what he was told. He constructed his list and put himself at the bottom. He knew that he had to work harder without the puck.

This is where the story should have ended, but Babcock wasn’t done with the rankings his future star put together for him. In what can only be perceived as an attempt to light a fire under a few of the team’s veterans, Babcock shared the list with some of the individuals that Marner placed just above himself.

According to Tulloch, two of those players were Tyler Bozak and Nazem Kadri — both of whom are no longer with the Maple Leafs.

Babcock revealing what Marner believed was confidential information left him in tears, per Tulloch. His teammates were furious, but not with Marner. They couldn’t fathom the fact Babcock put a well-liked 19-year-old through that.

Keep this guy away.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

FWIW Babcock has been getting RIPPED on Twitter by multiple former players 

You gotta wonder what the celebrations and post-season stuff was like after they won the Cup then - whether it was actual sincere jubilation, or kinda fake happiness.  I mean, you win the Stanley Cup together, players and their coach, which is the ultimate goal so it should be a moment of joy shared between them, but was it all just a façade?  Temporary, albeit it fake, happiness which eventually fades when you don't achieve the same success in the subsequent years...

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You gotta wonder what the celebrations and post-season stuff was like after they won the Cup then - whether it was actual sincere jubilation, or kinda fake happiness.  I mean, you win the Stanley Cup together, players and their coach, which is the ultimate goal so it should be a moment of joy shared between them, but was it all just a façade?  Temporary, albeit it fake, happiness which eventually fades when you don't achieve the same success in the subsequent years...

So far it’s mostly the Toronto people, which makes me think two things - Bab’s ego only got bigger after his success in Detroit, and he probably knew enough to know he couldn’t pull his manipulative reindeer games with Lidstrom, Zetterberg, etc...but with a young team in Toronto as the highest paid coach in hockey, he probably figured he could be a manipulative psychopath.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So far it’s mostly the Toronto people, which makes me think two things - Bab’s ego only got bigger after his success in Detroit, and he probably knew enough to know he couldn’t pull his manipulative reindeer games with Lidstrom, Zetterberg, etc...but with a young team in Toronto as the highest paid coach in hockey, he probably figured he could be a manipulative psychopath.

Actually Zetterberg was not a fan of Mike. 

https://www.bardown.com/henrik-zetterberg-opened-up-about-the-friction-in-his-relationship-with-mike-babcock-1.1202702

"I think no one miss Babcock, i think everyone thinks it's a joy to play this year"

https://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/02/26/ingen-saknar-babcock-i-detroit-alla-tycker-nog-det-ar-en-frojd-att-spela-i-ar

Edited by hrasvalg

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah with Detroit, he basically came into a situation where a lot of players were well-established, and being that it was just his second HC gig, he probably knew he'd better not go too far when it came to how he treated those players.  Sure, I could see the contract and the situation in Toronto leading him to believe that he was damned near untouchable and could do almost anything that he wanted.  But yeah, the more you hear about Babcock, the more he sounds like a loose cannon...and more and more you realize why Toronto was willing to pay him over $23 million just to am-scray.  Even though the Leafs seems to have bottomless pockets, it's still painful to have to eat that much coin. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, hrasvalg said:

image.thumb.png.ec723ca06a147622faa4d5794a95ecbe.png

33 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Really good points, and I agree that's probably exactly what happened.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Add Franzen to that list now

From what little I read on it, it sounds like Franzen had other either diagnosed or undiagnosed issues (concussion, depression) that exacerbated whatever Bab said to him on the bench.  All we know is Chelios's description of 'verbal assault' whatever the hell that means.  He's an easy target now though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

From what little I read on it, it sounds like Franzen had other either diagnosed or undiagnosed issues (concussion, depression) that exacerbated whatever Bab said to him on the bench.  All we know is Chelios's description of 'verbal assault' whatever the hell that means.  He's an easy target now though.

Every coach who some player had a beef with is now a target.

The thing is, it's almost a universal rule that the coaches become bigger a$$holes the higher up you get in sports.  Now  with the current atmosphere it's time for players to get their revenge.  People are actually taking Sean fvcking Avery seriously in this regard.

Trying to be delicate here - but I wonder how Pat Burns (RIP) would fare in today's world.

By all accounts he was a real son of a bitch to play for, really tough.  I wonder if he ever crossed into Babcock / Keenan territory.  

Edited by Devilsfan118