GDT: Red Wings @ Devils 7PM

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Celebrating my parents’ 50th anniversary today and tonight.  Ordinarily I would take an occasional peek at my phone to check the score, but today is going to be a happy occasion, and I’d rather enjoy

Someone Just offered me tickets and I said I'll pass.

Another man of fine culture 👌. Welcome friend. Come suffer with us. 

14 hours ago, devils26 said:

I missed the annual goal song saga. Has it been "Howl" since opening night? I was at a preseason game and I swore it was Naughty by Nature

During preseason they were alternating the songs after each goal and then the fans got to "vote" for which they wanted. The whole thing was rigged from the very start so the front office could collect more names and phone numbers to call about season tickets and Howl "won" and hip hop horray has become the after a win song.

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe they replaced Bratt or Zacha with him after the lineup came out...or it was gonna be Cory but you know :P

And where was this about STH getting to meet a player anyway?  I didn't get the memo, granted I had a prior commitment and sold my tickets weeks ago anyway but still.

My sister went to it and called me after. I think her rep told her.

She also had a really racist person in her section last night that event staff didn’t do sh!t about and then told the person that a woman in the section complained.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

During preseason they were alternating the songs after each goal and then the fans got to "vote" for which they wanted. The whole thing was rigged from the very start so the front office could collect more names and phone numbers to call about season tickets and Howl "won" and hip hop horray has become the after a win song.

To be fair, I haven’t gotten a single cold call from them yet from that. I guess they look at “New Mexico” and don’t bother haha

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those people should stay home.

Yeah I didn't get the point of showing up and paying for parking and beers and food just to cheer against your own team. I think we've learned that Hynes is pretty untouchable for now and probably for the rest of the season

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah I didn't get the point of showing up and paying for parking and beers and food just to cheer against your own team. I think we've learned that Hynes is pretty untouchable for now and probably for the rest of the season

I don't know that to be true, and I am not sure how anyone knows that outside of the Ray/Tom/maybe the owners. I can see them changing coaches today, tomorrow, whenever. The team is in last place. 

4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I don't know that to be true, and I am not sure how anyone knows that outside of the Ray/Tom/maybe the owners. I can see them changing coaches today, tomorrow, whenever. The team is in last place. 

It’s another one of those things that people repeat on the internet until others start believing them. 

We have no idea how safe Hynes’ job is, or Shero’s for that matter. And we aren’t supposed to, that’s an internal team matter. If management was out there saying “Hynes is going to be fired if the team doesn’t improve”, that would be ridiculous. 

You don’t find that out until the deed is done. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

No you're right. I should probably have phrased that better. I mean it seems that they are willing to go through some growing pains with this new roster and Hynes. Babcock was fired because expectations in Toronto were the Stanley Cup. Here I think it's still just about improving on last year and building towards the future which of course makes sense. 

When it comes to the big picture I totally get it.  It just gets frustrating in the day to day. 

29 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

It's more that we already have proof they have a blind spot with Hynes, hence the extension when the team was awful last year, plus the refusal to fire him when the team was 0-6 and won four of its first fifteen games this year.  If they don't make a change soon it likely won't matter for the rest of the year, and all the evidence suggests there'll be no change.  They're literally trying everything else to avoid firing the coach as if Hynes is the only thing they're not worried about...having Fitz on the bench, waiving Cory, making wholesale lineup changes last night.  Next it'll be a trade or three.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

It's more that we already have proof they have a blind spot with Hynes, hence the extension when the team was awful last year, the refusal to fire him when the team was 0-6 and won four of its first fifteen games this year.  If they don't make a change soon it likely won't matter for the rest of the year, and all the evidence suggest there'll be no change.  They're literally trying everything else to avoid firing the coach...having Fitz on the bench, waiving Cory, making wholesale lineup changes last night.

I don't see it that way. Hynes earned an extension, and it's really a formality anyway. When do coaches not have more than 1 year left on a deal? I thought that was rare. They may have started 0-6, and I wanted him fired then and still do - but I could see the argument in letting it play out - and they did start to play better, but they seem to have plateaued and arguably regress. I'm impatient, but i could see Ray wanting to wait 20 games, and now we're there. I wouldn't say that was wholesale lineup changes last night. We'll see what happens.

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

No you're right. I should probably have phrased that better. I mean it seems that they are willing to go through some growing pains with this new roster and Hynes. Babcock was fired because expectations in Toronto were the Stanley Cup. Here I think it's still just about improving on last year and building towards the future which of course makes sense. 

When it comes to the big picture I totally get it.  It just gets frustrating in the day to day. 

Yeah, expectations are different in Toronto, it's fair to make a general statement that not meeting those expectations got Babcock fired - but it's more complicated than that.

Babcock was [also] fired because he didn't see eye-to-eye with the GM - something that has been going on for awhile now - and by almost all accounts, he lost the players in the locker room big time. Going into this season, it seemed like Babcock was already on the hot seat.

But most importantly, Dubas has had a guy in Sheldon Keefe waiting in the wings. Keefe was a good fit - Dubas hired Keefe to coach for Sault Ste. Marie of the OHL when he was the GM there. Keefe also has his teams play a style of hockey that seemed like it could directly counteract some of the on-ice issues the team was having with Babcock at the helm. And of course, 13 of Toronto's players had already played for Keefe in the AHL. Firing Babcock was not some wild move.

The point is, as much as the fans want an impulsive move - if the Devils are going to fire Hynes - they need to have a plan for a replacement in place - as in, a plan that is likely to improve the team. Shero may have one now or not, but without a sensible plan, firing the coach is probably not going to do much to change things. The players don't seem to hate playing for John Hynes either, and that probably counts for being a better option than, "replace him with anyone or anything."

Edited by Neb00rs
17 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, expectations are different in Toronto, it's fair to make a general statement that not meeting those expectations got Babcock fired - but it's more complicated than that.

Babcock was [also] fired because he didn't see eye-to-eye with the GM - something that has been going on for awhile now - and by almost all accounts, he lost the players in the locker room big time. Going into this season, it seemed like Babcock was already on the hot seat.

But most importantly, Dubas has had a guy in Sheldon Keefe waiting in the wings. Keefe was a good fit - Dubas hired Keefe to coach for Sault Ste. Marie of the OHL when he was the GM there. Keefe also has his teams play a style of hockey that seemed like it could directly counteract some of the on-ice issues the team was having with Babcock at the helm. And of course, 13 of Toronto's players had already played for Keefe in the AHL. Firing Babcock was not some wild move.

The point is, as much as the fans want an impulsive move - if the Devils are going to fire Hynes - they need to have a plan for a replacement in place - as in, a plan that is likely to improve the team. Shero may have one now or not, but without a sensible plan, firing the coach is probably not going to do much to change things. The players don't seem to hate playing for John Hynes either, and that probably counts for being a better option than, "replace him with anyone or anything."

My only difference is, you don't need to have a replacement plan to know the current plan needs a change. You can have an Interim in place. I do wonder why was Fitz brought into assist? Who is that an indictment of? How long will be down there for? How much more needs to be seen?

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, DevilMinder said:

Wow, sitting Bratt & Zacha is a bit much.

I caught this game at a bar with my friend and I wasn't paying real close attention since we were catching up, so I didn't notice or know Bratt and Zacha were healthy scratches...it's not even "a bit much", it's not even just a fireable offense, it should be a CRIMINAL offense.  I mean, how do you even do that with a straight face?! 

I was actually thinking and going to post how much I've been impressed with Zacha lately.  The guy looks like he's playing with so much more confidence, and he is almost always in a good position, and really not making many mistakes.  He may not be a consistent goal scorer, but the guy is showing signs of being a well-rounded player.  

I'm glad we won, but we beat the worst team in the league so it really doesn't mean anything, and this might be the maddest I've ever been at Hynes.  I really can't stand him anymore.  

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I caught this game at a bar with my friend and I wasn't paying real close attention since we were catching up, so I didn't notice or know Bratt and Zacha were healthy scratches...it's not even "a bit much", it's not even just a fireable offense, it should be a CRIMINAL offense.  I mean, how do you even do that with a straight face?! 

I was actually thinking and going to post how much I've been impressed with Zacha lately.  The guy looks like he's playing with so much more confidence, and he is almost always in a good position, and really not making many mistakes.  He may not be a consistent goal scorer, but the guy is showing signs of being a well-rounded player.  

I'm glad we won, but we beat the worst team in the league so it really doesn't mean anything, and this might be the maddest I've ever been at Hynes.  I really can't stand him anymore.  

That’s silly. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What is?

That it is a fireable and criminal offense to bench two guys who have been invisible against the worst team in the league. Especially wear one of those guys is known to be fragile and probably benefits from having the day off.

I mean, we won the game by four goals. How can you say that with a straight face?

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That it is a fireable and criminal offense to bench two guys who have been invisible against the worst team in the league. Especially wear one of those guys is known to be fragile and probably benefits from having the day off.

I mean, we won the game by four goals. How can you say that with a straight face?

I don't even know which guy you're referring to as fragile - I assume Zacha, just based on your history with him lol, but if you honestly think he's been remotely fragile in the last two weeks then I don't think we've been watching the same player.  Regarding Bratt, I really don't understand scratching him either - I mean, OK, he doesn't do the PK stuff that Zacha does, so if he's not scoring then I suppose that makes him a little less valuable, but the guy isn't taking penalties or making bad plays and turnovers, so really, what's the negative to having him in the lineup other than he's just going through a scoring drought, which ALL players, ESPECIALLY guys on our team, go through from time to time?  There's no way in fvck you're going to develop any sort of corp to your team if you constantly scratch guys on a whim, with little rhyme or reason.  I don't care if it's for 1 game or 10 games, it's inconsistent as hell, and that's not a formula for success.  I think at this point it's been pretty well proven that it just doesn't work/isn't helping.  

And to the 'we won by four goals' comment....if you wanna hang your hat on a win at home against the absolute worst team in the league, be my guest.  Nothing about that game made me feel good though.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't even know which guy you're referring to as fragile - I assume Zacha, just based on your history with him lol, but if you honestly think he's been remotely fragile in the last two weeks then I don't think we've been watching the same player.  Regarding Bratt, I really don't understand scratching him either - I mean, OK, he doesn't do the PK stuff that Zacha does, so if he's not scoring then I suppose that makes him a little less valuable, but the guy isn't taking penalties or making bad plays and turnovers, so really, what's the negative to having him in the lineup other than he's just going through a scoring drought, which ALL players, ESPECIALLY guys on our team, go through from time to time?  There's no way in fvck you're going to develop any sort of corp to your team if you constantly scratch guys on a whim, with little rhyme or reason.  I don't care if it's for 1 game or 10 games, it's inconsistent as hell, and that's not a formula for success.  I think at this point it's been pretty well proven that it just doesn't work/isn't helping.  

And to the 'we won by four goals' comment....if you wanna hang your hat on a win at home against the absolute worst team in the league, be my guest.  Nothing about that game made me feel good though.  

No, I meant Bratt, who has a history of running out of gas. 

The point of stating that we won against a sh!t Team was just that; if you are going to rest/scratch guys, that’s the time to do it. 

Beside that point, both of those guys have been phantoms the last 3-4 games, and in the last game, Bratt was the only forward who didn’t have a shot on goal OR generate one for a teammate. 

Even if you disregard all of the above, to suggest a coach should be fired (or worse!) because two third liners were given a night off is ridiculous. 

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, I meant Bratt, who has a history of running out of gas. 

The point of stating that we won against a sh!t Team was just that; if you are going to rest/scratch guys, that’s the time to do it. 

Beside that point, both of those guys have been phantoms the last 3-4 games, and in the last game, Bratt was the only forward who didn’t have a shot on goal OR generate one for a teammate. 

Even if you disregard all of the above, to suggest a coach should be fired (or worse!) because two third liners were given a night off is ridiculous. 

I was being facetious with the criminal comment, I hope you could see that... Clearly a guy doing what he's legally allowed to do as part of his job isn't a violation of any sort of law lol - so it's not so much that I was being serious when I said it was criminal, it was more just me questioning his sanity.  

To that point, you can rationalize it any way you want, but I might question your sanity as well if you think a guy should be benched because he fails to register a shot in one game.  To me, that's just hockey, and it's going to happen from time to time. Pretty sure it has, or will happen, to Connor McDavid at some point. Granted I'm not a big advanced stats guy, but I'm sure those who are could point to some things that Bratt did on the ice that were positive despite not getting a shot on goal. 

I think the reason it's kind of a big deal to me is because this team has been shuffling players and attempting to build a core for quite a while now, and we finally have some players with actual talent, guys that look to be a part of that and real cornerstones for the future, Bratt included, and you just don't do that by holding guys out of the lineup just because you feel like it.  I realize that no one's above reproach and all player's should be held accountable for things, but you really mean to tell me that a guy not registering a point in game is cause for a total benching?  Sit the guy down and talk to him.  Put him with some different line mates.  Maybe cut his ice time a little.  But benching?   

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was being facetious with the criminal comment, I hope you could see that... Clearly a guy doing what he's legally allowed to do as part of his job isn't a violation of any sort of law lol - so it's not so much that I was being serious when I said it was criminal, it was more just me questioning his sanity.  

Yes, and it was silly, which is what I said. The other part, healthy scratching guys for one game being a fireable offense, was similarly silly. I would remind you that we are not privy to a good portion of what goes on with these guys, like in practice. Who knows, maybe their effort has been missing. Maybe one or both had a minor health issue, a cold, a stubbed toe, etc. that wasn't reported on. We just don't know. 

That aside, in terms of real world stats, Bratt  had a total of two points in 9 games in November, and zero in the previous three. 

Zacha had 3 points in 11 games in November, and none in the previous two games. 

I'm not saying either of those numbers is something someone must be benched for, but to suggest that a coach should be fired for healthy scratching either of those guys in November against a team equally as sh!tty as our own is nonsense. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

To that point, you can rationalize it any way you want, but I might question your sanity as well if you think a guy should be benched because he fails to register a shot in one game.  To me, that's just hockey, and it's going to happen from time to time. Pretty sure it has, or will happen, to Connor McDavid at some point. Granted I'm not a big advanced stats guy, but I'm sure those who are could point to some things that Bratt did on the ice that were positive despite not getting a shot on goal. 

I think the reason it's kind of a big deal to me is because this team has been shuffling players and attempting to build a core for quite a while now, and we finally have some players with actual talent, guys that look to be a part of that and real cornerstones for the future, Bratt included, and you just don't do that by holding guys out of the lineup just because you feel like it.  I realize that no one's above reproach and all player's should be held accountable for things, but you really mean to tell me that a guy not registering a point in game is cause for a total benching?  Sit the guy down and talk to him.  Put him with some different line mates.  Maybe cut his ice time a little.  But benching?   

You're missing my point, which is not that they SHOULD have been scratched, but that its certainly not a fireable offense that they were. Both of those guys are ice cold, why would a coach be fired for giving them a game off? If he healthy scratched Palmieri and Hall, maybe then you have an argument, but probably not, since its still one game against a basement dweller which is the perfect time to do something like that if you feel its needed/warranted. 

You are trying to make it like I am saying they should have been benched, which isn't what I said. I just said that what you said is silly. 

Hynes should be fired for a myriad of other reasons, and I think you are letting that fact color your opinion. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Why wouldn't the Devils organization actually honor the vote in addition to collecting more names and phone numbers? Why are they so partial to 'Howl'?

48 minutes ago, devils26 said:

Why wouldn't the Devils organization actually honor the vote in addition to collecting more names and phone numbers? Why are they so partial to 'Howl'?

Because the powers that be over in the Devils front office have a warped and over-simplified view of Devils fans.  While sometimes they are right, often times they are wrong.  One thing they are often wrong with is that they think that the fanbase as a whole, since we are an NJ team, loves anything and everything NJ no matter what.  Howl is a song from an NJ-based band so they automatically think Devils fans automatically love it.

They had zero intention of switching the goal song.  It was 100% to collect emails and phone numbers to sell tickets.  Everyone I know who voted said they got blitzed by Devils ticket sellers 1-2 weeks later after voting.

• Like 1