GDT: Wild @ Devils 11/26 7PM

Nicomo

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

This is why I don’t get the hatred for Wood. If nothing else, he’s giving you 100%.He takes too many penalties, but he also drives penalties, he’s aggressive, he’s fast, he’s chaos on ice skates. Opportunities come from that sometimes.

So do countless turnovers and the inability to pass the puck with any precision. This was symptomatic of the entire team last night though and not just Wood. Really poor effort from everyone.

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Usually when the whole team sucks you can look at the system and coaches... but the fact that Hynes himself asked to be shadowed or wtv tells me that maybe it's the players not executing what he's asking? I don't know? 

At the same time sure we have a young team but we have guys like Zajac, Palms, Hall etc etc who we know should be more productive than they are. 

Palms has 9 goals and 6 assists through 23 GP.   That's a 32 G/53 Point pace over 82 GP.  How much more productive is he supposed to be?  Palms is one of the few who's right about where he should be. 

Although I know Hall won't shoot 5% for the season, would be nice to see some positive regression from him already. 

Zajac's SOG are WAY down this year...over the past five seasons, he was very consistent with his SOG per game...for each season, starting with 2014-15:  1.51, 1.50, 1.58, 1.44, 1.50

This year, that number has fallen to 0.70.  That is definitely concerning, even with his ice time being considerably lower this season (about three minutes less per game than his average over the previous six seasons).  Not sure how much that will improve.

• Like 1

You can argue chicken or egg here between Hynes and the team, but at this juncture the only option to try to turn things around is change the coach. You can't fire the players. While we may disagree on the level of skill, the skill is there. They are better than their record. Who knows, maybe it is on the players now, but you can't really blame them for being demoralized at this point.  

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just stumbled on the Twitter account of the beat reporter for the Hurricanes and now I think we might be spoiled by having Amanda. 

Correct.

The Canes' writer is like Amanda on her worst days, but consistently. I'm mostly cool with how Amanda has adjusted this season, and think she's doing a pretty good job.

Maybe we're getting old (I'm 32) and don't understand the point of social media anymore? I don't know when whiny, relentless, and smug petulance became a draw; like a bunch of young Mike Milburys running around being annoying everyday, but they all get hundreds of likes no matter what.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Palms has 9 goals and 6 assists through 23 GP.   That's a 32 G/53 Point pace over 82 GP.  How much more productive is he supposed to be?  Palms is one of the few who's right about where he should be. 

Although I know Hall won't shoot 5% for the season, would be nice to see some positive regression from him already. 

Zajac's SOG are WAY down this year...over the past five seasons, he was very consistent with his SOG per game...for each season, starting with 2014-15:  1.51, 1.50, 1.58, 1.44, 1.50

This year, that number has fallen to 0.70.  That is definitely concerning, even with his ice time being considerably lower this season (about three minutes less per game than his average over the previous six seasons).  Not sure how much that will improve.

I agree Palms is having a fine season - I think the problem lies in that he's on our top line, and a 53 point guy who's in your top 3 isn't likely going to get you to a Cup - it might not even get you into the playoffs, as we're seeing.  The only other consistent producer we have right now is Hall, and maybe Nico.  Outside of those three guys, we have a lot of other should-be-producing guys, or guys with potential - the Hughes', Bratt's, Coleman's, and Gusev's and Zacha's of the world, but they just aren't contributing enough. And when they do contribute, they don't all happen at the same time - it seems like we very rarely have guys that contribute simultaneously.  

We'll get a random goal from Zacha, or Simmonds, and then nothing else from our top line.  Or like last night, we'll get one from Palms, and then essentially nothing else from the bottom 6 guys.  That can't happen if you want to be playoff bound and have dreams of a Cup.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

At the same time sure we have a young team but we have guys like Zajac, Palms, Hall etc etc who we know should be more productive than they are. 

I wouldn't include Zajac on that list. He's a 3rd line defensive forward who is probably a year or two from retirement. 

10 hours ago, devlman said:

As much as Hynes deserves blame for this season, tonight I can’t blame the coaches. How about a big F U to the players with this lousy effort, pucks bouncing off sticks, little physicality, stupid turnovers...they can all gtfo.

I'm not so sure about that. This coach (or even coaches) have lost the players. Many people have suggested that the coaches system or lack of is causing many players to regress. Last night it was evident that they could not get out of there own way. In the first period the Wild who played back to back seemed to have a game plan and were grinding and playing well, NJ looked stale almost like they were waiting for some direction on how to play. Many player Hall, Subban look as if they are they are trying to do it all on their own and Severson? What was that! Not sure where they go from here but if true and the coaches have lost the players its only going to get worse. LGD!!!!!

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't include Zajac on that list. He's a 3rd line defensive forward who is probably a year or two from retirement. 

what i mean is that he's an established guy and you know what you're getting from him. If he's not giving that, then you can see that there's a bigger problem

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

what i mean is that he's an established guy and you know what you're getting from him. If he's not giving that, then you can see that there's a bigger problem

He’s been really invisible most of this season. Andy freaking Greene has more shots than Zajac does...

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea, he looks just like Miles fvcking Wood. When the team is bad some of you guys go off the deep end and say the dumbest sh!t. 

I don't think he looks like Wood at all. But I think at this point he thrives on a pond hockey loose style of game where you go one on two/three too much and often end up empty loosing the puck eventually. Yes this time he got a shot off. But for everyone of these vids there's just as many proving what my eyes see (for now). And no I'm not going to search for Jack looses the puck vids to post. After all those great moves he threw a dart into the goalies chest.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Correct.

The Canes' writer is like Amanda on her worst days, but consistently. I'm mostly cool with how Amanda has adjusted this season, and think she's doing a pretty good job.

Maybe we're getting old (I'm 32) and don't understand the point of social media anymore? I don't know when whiny, relentless, and smug petulance became a draw; like a bunch of young Mike Milburys running around being annoying everyday, but they all get hundreds of likes no matter what.

I don't mind Amanda's work for the team. It is watered down because she is a team employee, but she does a good job. The extracurricular stuff is why I only check her twitter stuff out on gamedays-- However that is her choice to use her platform for non-sports related stuff and, as I am only interested in her so-far as it relates to the team, it is also my choice to not follow her closely. 

Unlike Amanda, who has opinions I don't care about or don't agree with but does a good job covering the team, that Canes beat writer literally seems like the worst kind of person. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I don't think he looks like Wood at all. But I think at this point he thrives on a pond hockey loose style of game where you go one on one too much and often end up empty loosing the puck eventually. Yes this time he got a shot off. But for everyone of these vids there's just as many proving what my eyes see (for now). And no I'm not going to search for Jack looses the puck vids to post. After all those great moves he threw a dart into the goalies chest.

He created a scoring chance out of nothing all on his own. Do you think other highly skilled players in the league don't take chances and sometimes make mistakes? He is 18, he's already doing that stuff, and he's only going to get better. Yea he will make take chances, sometimes he will make mistakes and sometimes he wont always score. You take the good with the bad because the good outweighs the bad or he wouldn't do it.

You just said it, he is making it look like he's playing pond hockey out there but it's the freaking NHL. That is basically the end of the discussion right there. 

EDIT: Also I want to add, and I am not trying to be malicious towards you specifically in this comment, that it really goes to show just how far into "depression mode" this board is when we have a grade A top tier talented player who is making plays coast-to-coast and skating circles around other NHL teams at 18 years old and people are finding a reason to be pessimistic/unhappy about it. We'd have to go back in time almost a decade to even come CLOSE to a player that good, that could do those kinds of things, wearing our team's jersey and people are still unhappy. Jack Hughes is literally one of less than a handful of things to be happy about right now and people are still not satisfied.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

I would bet the house the Wild would take that shot all game long.

I also have repeatedly said he's young but you maybe miss that part of my opinion.  He's on pace for 16 goals is that what you expected? Not me and that's the major part of my disappointment. Once again he's young and hopefully finds another level this season while not hitting the dreaded wall along the way.

Edited by titans04

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

I also have repeatedly said he's young but you maybe miss that part of my opinion.  He's on pace for 16 goals is that what you expected? Not me and that's the major part of my disappointment. Once again he's young and hopefully finds another level this season while not hitting the dreaded wall along the way.

hughes was never projected to be a great goal scorer. he was projected to be an elite playmaker with above average scoring ability.

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The things he is doing are impressive at any age at this level of competition. It is actually more impressive at his age. My expectations for Hughes were for him to look good, show flashes of his potential, and not get hurt this year. So far he has done that and hopefully it stays that way. 

I feel like a broken record having to say this over and over -- The entire team is under-preforming. You can't put that on the doorstep of the 18 year old rookie or toss him in and expect him to excel the same way he would if the team was playing well as a whole. You can't really put all that on the doorstep of any one player. The entire team is a sh!t show from the staff down to Brett Seeney.

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Correct.

I guess it is just how the way things are now.  If someone under the age of 40 does it then everyone circles the wagons to defend their right for them to be that whiny/smug way.  If someone over the age of 40 does it then it's met with "OK Boomer."

I don't even follow Civian but I see her posts quite a bit because Amanda re-tweets her quite often.

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The things he is doing are impressive at any age at this level of competition. It is actually more impressive at his age. My expectations for Hughes were for him to look good, show flashes of his potential, and not get hurt this year. So far he has done that and hopefully it stays that way. 

I feel like a broken record having to say this over and over -- The entire team is under-preforming. You can't put that on the doorstep of the 18 year old rookie or toss him in and expect him to excel the same way he would if the team was playing well as a whole. You can't really put all that on the doorstep of any one player. The entire team is a sh!t show from the staff down to Brett Seeney.

Right - I expected Hughes to come in around 40 points and that's where he's at.  I feel like people who aren't impressed with him haven't watched enough 18 year old players - yeah, Hischier looked better, but Hischier's first season came mostly as the center for who would turn out to be the league MVP.  Hughes has been moved all around this lineup and finally seems to be having some success with Boqvist and Simmonds - that line should stay together.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe we've scored the fewest goals in the entire league.  I know the season isn't over, yet, but what will that be now, like 7 of the last 10 years that we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for?  

Combine that with awful defense and question mark goaltending, and there’s your team in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

Hughes is hardly your average 18 year old, the kid was talked about and highlighted for how many years before he was drafted # 1.  Congrats if you only had him down for 40 points because I believe you're in a really small minority.  Time will tell and certainly haven't given up on him just confirming I sometimes see what MB3 noted after seeing him last night.

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe we've scored the fewest goals in the entire league.  I know the season isn't over, yet, but what will that be now, like 7 of the last 10 years that we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for?  

This was my biggest surprise for the season, especially the powerplay. We all knew the defense and goaltending were gonna be our biggest issues but I thought we would be putting the puck in the net at least. 

16 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Hughes is hardly your average 18 year old, the kid was talked about and highlighted for how many years before he was drafted # 1.  Congrats if you only had him down for 40 points because I believe you're in a really small minority.  Time will tell and certainly haven't given up on him just confirming I sometimes see what MB3 noted after seeing him last night.

I don't think you know a whole lot about how 18 year old players typically perform.  They do not come into the league as stars very often - Crosby and McDavid did.  Hughes is on pace for less than 40 points - this would be the 12th best season in points per game by an 18 year old in the last 15 years.  

Jack Hughes will be a star player.

• Like 2