Nicomo

GDT: Wild @ Devils 11/26 7PM

I would bet the house the Wild would take that shot all game long.

I also have repeatedly said he's young but you maybe miss that part of my opinion.  He's on pace for 16 goals is that what you expected? Not me and that's the major part of my disappointment. Once again he's young and hopefully finds another level this season while not hitting the dreaded wall along the way.

Edited by titans04

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

I also have repeatedly said he's young but you maybe miss that part of my opinion.  He's on pace for 16 goals is that what you expected? Not me and that's the major part of my disappointment. Once again he's young and hopefully finds another level this season while not hitting the dreaded wall along the way.

hughes was never projected to be a great goal scorer. he was projected to be an elite playmaker with above average scoring ability.

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The things he is doing are impressive at any age at this level of competition. It is actually more impressive at his age. My expectations for Hughes were for him to look good, show flashes of his potential, and not get hurt this year. So far he has done that and hopefully it stays that way. 

I feel like a broken record having to say this over and over -- The entire team is under-preforming. You can't put that on the doorstep of the 18 year old rookie or toss him in and expect him to excel the same way he would if the team was playing well as a whole. You can't really put all that on the doorstep of any one player. The entire team is a sh!t show from the staff down to Brett Seeney.

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

Correct.

The Canes' writer is like Amanda on her worst days, but consistently. I'm mostly cool with how Amanda has adjusted this season, and think she's doing a pretty good job.

Maybe we're getting old (I'm 32) and don't understand the point of social media anymore? I don't know when whiny, relentless, and smug petulance became a draw; like a bunch of young Mike Milburys running around being annoying everyday, but they all get hundreds of likes no matter what.

I guess it is just how the way things are now.  If someone under the age of 40 does it then everyone circles the wagons to defend their right for them to be that whiny/smug way.  If someone over the age of 40 does it then it's met with "OK Boomer."

I don't even follow Civian but I see her posts quite a bit because Amanda re-tweets her quite often.

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The things he is doing are impressive at any age at this level of competition. It is actually more impressive at his age. My expectations for Hughes were for him to look good, show flashes of his potential, and not get hurt this year. So far he has done that and hopefully it stays that way. 

I feel like a broken record having to say this over and over -- The entire team is under-preforming. You can't put that on the doorstep of the 18 year old rookie or toss him in and expect him to excel the same way he would if the team was playing well as a whole. You can't really put all that on the doorstep of any one player. The entire team is a sh!t show from the staff down to Brett Seeney.

Right - I expected Hughes to come in around 40 points and that's where he's at.  I feel like people who aren't impressed with him haven't watched enough 18 year old players - yeah, Hischier looked better, but Hischier's first season came mostly as the center for who would turn out to be the league MVP.  Hughes has been moved all around this lineup and finally seems to be having some success with Boqvist and Simmonds - that line should stay together.

I can't believe we've scored the fewest goals in the entire league.  I know the season isn't over, yet, but what will that be now, like 7 of the last 10 years that we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for?  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't believe we've scored the fewest goals in the entire league.  I know the season isn't over, yet, but what will that be now, like 7 of the last 10 years that we finish in the bottom 3 in goals for?  

Combine that with awful defense and question mark goaltending, and there’s your team in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

Hughes is hardly your average 18 year old, the kid was talked about and highlighted for how many years before he was drafted # 1.  Congrats if you only had him down for 40 points because I believe you're in a really small minority.  Time will tell and certainly haven't given up on him just confirming I sometimes see what MB3 noted after seeing him last night.

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Combine that with awful defense and question mark goaltending, and there’s your team in a nutshell. 

Yep, it's a pretty easy formula to understand.

32 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This was my biggest surprise for the season, especially the powerplay. We all knew the defense and goaltending were gonna be our biggest issues but I thought we would be putting the puck in the net at least. 

16 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Hughes is hardly your average 18 year old, the kid was talked about and highlighted for how many years before he was drafted # 1.  Congrats if you only had him down for 40 points because I believe you're in a really small minority.  Time will tell and certainly haven't given up on him just confirming I sometimes see what MB3 noted after seeing him last night.

I don't think you know a whole lot about how 18 year old players typically perform.  They do not come into the league as stars very often - Crosby and McDavid did.  Hughes is on pace for less than 40 points - this would be the 12th best season in points per game by an 18 year old in the last 15 years.  

Jack Hughes will be a star player.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't think you know a whole lot about how 18 year old players typically perform.  They do not come into the league as stars very often - Crosby and McDavid did.  Hughes is on pace for less than 40 points - this would be the 12th best season in points per game by an 18 year old in the last 15 years.  

This is exactly right. Nobody ever, EVER implied that Hughes or Nico were on that kind of level. Call it bad luck in getting the #1OA in those particular years, I guess, but I still think we did what we were supposed to do: draft the guy that was projected to be the best of the group. that doesn't always work, obviously, but I don't think anyone can be faulted for that. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't include Zajac on that list. He's a 3rd line defensive forward who is probably a year or two from retirement. 

Definitely Zajac and Palms are the least of our problems. I have to go with our Defense its sucks. Vats is probably one more hit away from retirement. Greene look like he retired. Sev's has his moments, and then he's fvcking forest gump. PK is a fvcking turn over machine, and Sev's. Mueller blah blah, Tennyson, who the fvck is he. Butcher has flashes, but need to better defensively. Get me atleast 2 more solid D men. That know how to defend, and are good protecting the house. Ok lol

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

This was my biggest surprise for the season, especially the powerplay. We all knew the defense and goaltending were gonna be our biggest issues but I thought we would be putting the puck in the net at least. 

Yep, completely agree, and I think most people probably felt that way. 

I did some digging, and here's where we've been lately:

Last year in 2018-19 we were 6th to last.

2017-18 we were 14th - we had a decent year of scoring that season, and look what happened - playoffs.

2016-17 we were 3rd to last

2015-16 we were last

2014-15 we were 3rd to last

2013-14 we were 4th to last

2012-13 we were 2nd to last

2011-12 we were 13th. 

So yeah, I was right...6 outta the last 7 years, we've been bottom 5 in scoring (last year was 6th, close enough).  That is truly atrocious. 

We've already changed out and/or acquired new players - if we're still last in scoring, I wonder what else it could be?  Hmm.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep, completely agree, and I think most people probably felt that way. 

I did some digging, and here's where we've been lately:

Last year in 2018-19 we were 6th to last.

2017-18 we were 14th - we had a decent year of scoring that season, and look what happened - playoffs.

2016-17 we were 3rd to last

2015-16 we were last

2014-15 we were 3rd to last

2013-14 we were 4th to last

2012-13 we were 2nd to last

2011-12 we were 13th. 

So yeah, I was right...6 outta the last 7 years, we've been bottom 5 in scoring (last year was 6th, close enough).  That is truly atrocious. 

We've already changed out and/or acquired new players - if we're still last in scoring, I wonder what else it could be?  Hmm.  

Well since Hynes has taken over hes a one trick pony, He has no plan b, except for juggling lines and siting players. His game plan is the same plan every game. And you wonder why, teams have come back to beat us.Opposing teams dont need to watch Devils game tape, They just need to know if Hynes is coaching. Game set match Its insane...........

Edited by Gunslinger27
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

Not saying I disagree with you but Nico hit 52, and people had Hughes pegged as better than Nico so expectations were probably higher on that basis.

Edited by NJDevs4978

41 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not saying I disagree with you but Nico hit 52, and people had Hughes pegged as better than Nico so expectations were probably higher on that basis.

Hall had an MVP season playing on Nico's line all year. Hughes is playing with... Well a lot of people, but 1 is sometimes a rookie as well and the other certainly isn't Taylor Hall either. 

Edited by NJDevils1214