Rebuild the NJ Identity / NJ Devils Culture

Mitico12

So, I'm assuming we all agree that what we've seen for the better part of the last decade is not indicative of the NJ Devils most of us have grown to love.

If a regime change / culture change is in line - what would you guys think about something like:

General Manager:  Nieds / Marty 

Coaching staff:  Patrik Elias / Scott Stevens / Bryce Salvador / Ken Daneyko / Sergei Brylin

Injecting "winning" NJ Devils blood into the organization that has been molded by Lou Lamoriello.

Ideas?

26 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

So, I'm assuming we all agree that what we've seen for the better part of the last decade is not indicative of the NJ Devils most of us have grown to love.

If a regime change / culture change is in line - what would you guys think about something like:

Coaching staff:  Patrik Elias / Scott Stevens / Bryce Salvador / Ken Daneyko / Sergei Brylin

Injecting "winning" NJ Devils blood into the organization that has been molded by Lou Lamoriello.

Ideas?

That would be a lot of fun. 

32 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Ideas?

So only hire people who played for the organization? That's a narrow-minded approach and risks souring a lot of great memories-- assuming you could even convince all of them to want to do it, and I'm not sure they would. 

I would want as few ex-Devils, especially ones that were Hall of Fame players to be in coaching/management roles as possible.  We have no idea if Marty would be a good GM, but it would be very hard to get rid of him if he's not suited for it. 

So far as coaches, it shouldn't be that complicated.  Bring in coaches that have a track record of success and for whom talented players live up to their potential, or at least coaches that have demonstrated some ability at the NHL level level.  No more of this AHL coach of the year crap. 

With two number 1 picks in three years, and another top five pick to come in a deep draft, you shouldn't keep needing to reinvent things.  Our problem is that Ray doesn't know when to stop tanking.

Without being a douche - that's a recipe for disaster how are any of them qualified for those roles?

Thinking with your heart (not you personally)at this time would be a terrible mistake imo.

However, if it gets Dano off the mic than hell yeah he's qualified all day long twice on Sunday's.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

He's a sub .500 coach over his  coaching career. He won a cup here coaching less than 10 reg season games. Went to the finals the next year and lost (great season).  The following year got fired mid-season came back I believe one more time and resigned mid-season. 

Edited by titans04

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Counterexample, Larry Robinson.

I love Larry as much as anyone, he's only behind Dano in terms of loyalty to the franchise (or at least to Lou) but he was not a great coach.  He made the playoffs once in LA in four years, got swept and was fired, had one great season and two great playoffs with a stacked team here, then had two poor seasons in his last two coaching.  At best he was slightly above average overall.

Edited by NJDevs4978

33 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I love Larry as much as anyone, he's only behind Dano in terms of loyalty to the franchise (or at least to Lou) but he was not a great coach.  He made the playoffs once in LA in four years, got swept and was fired, had one great season and two great playoffs with a stacked team here, then had two poor seasons in his last two coaching.  At best he was slightly above average overall.

I was more getting at him being a great assistant to coach the defensemen.  He is the reason that a blue line led by Andy Greene and pray for rain, was good enough to get to the  SCF, and it’s no coincidence that every team he’s gone to since has seen it’s defense improve dramatically.

He could also outcoach our current brain trust in his sleep, literally.

23 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Ideas?

Let's just get a bunch of NJ personalities and turn the team over to them. Kevin Smith can be the head coach, Bruce Springsteen can be the GM, etc...

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2019 at 2:46 PM, Mitico12 said:

Ideas?

In trying to make the best out of your scenario..  and since Hynes isn't doing too well to put it lightly.. I'll have fun thinking it thru... 

Certainly seems like Marty would like to be a GM someday. IDK if he's the next GM but won't be shocked if he is the NJD GM someday... perhaps it is sooner than later

Elias, Stevens, Brylin -- YES  - (who is head coach? IDK or maybe some one else (Madden) and these 3 are involved as assistants, that's ok) 

Daneyko, Salvador - NO (stay in the jobs they have) 

Neidermayer is a west coast surfer... maybe the Ducks or another West Coast team can gain his interest to be a GM .. or maybe when his son's enter the NHL but I doubt he'll come back to NJ. And that's ok. He did a lot for the Devils Cups. Thank You SN 

Don't forget about Jay Pandolfo, he's an assistant on the Bruins coaching staff. 

I also don't think Bruce is very interested in coaching at this level. He's got a sweet gig where he basically only does the home games and then he coaches mites as well. I don't see him giving up that sweet gig to deal with the stress and travel of a full time coaching gig. 

Longing after past glory and trying old players over and over is not the way to go. Need to look forward, not back. The league's has changed so much , Ray is actually on the right course, he just needs to get his head out of his ass and change the coaching staff. 

Recipe for disaster. You're putting way too many Devils legends in the crosshairs of ruining their legacy if that team goes wrong; not worth it one bit. Also, not sure if you can call it a rebuild if you inject a bunch of guys who played a very specific style/system of play that worked in the 90s/00s, but is dinosaur hockey now. We would really need to see if their mind is wrapped around today's game before even considering any of them.

Edited by DJ Eco