A message to Ray Shero

Daniel

On the .01 percent chance that you read this message board (which is higher than the probability that you'll ever manage to construct a team that can sustainably win without having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin gifted to you), I'm here to tell you that you're a failure because everyone else you surround yourself with exists to blow smoke up your ass.  In four years, two number one overall picks that you tanked for, being one of the lucky GMs to be the beneficiary of Peter Chiarelli's largesse, "weaponized cap space" and lots of draft picks, the New Jersey Devils are slated to once again be a bottom five team in the league and there's no end in sight.  Everyone with two eyes and more than three working brain cells knows that John Hynes and his staff should be coaching in the ECHL, but here they are because John is your buddy.  Even if you do the unthinkable and fire John Hynes, I have no confidence that you have the ability to replace him with someone who's any better.  In the meantime, we will see Hughes and Nico continue to stagnate and you'll ruin whatever top three pick we get this year. (I'd say I'm hoping for Byfield, but it would be a cruel joke for him to have to play for an organization run by you).

In case I'm not being clear.  You're the problem.

We used to be the Patriots of the NHL. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

On the .01 percent chance that you read this message board (which is higher than the probability that you'll ever manage to construct a team that can sustainably win without having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin gifted to you), I'm here to tell you that you're a failure because everyone else you surround yourself with exists to blow smoke up your ass.  In four years, two number one overall picks that you tanked for, being one of the lucky GMs to be the beneficiary of Peter Chiarelli's largesse, "weaponized cap space" and lots of draft picks, the New Jersey Devils are slated to once again be a bottom five team in the league and there's no end in sight.  Everyone with two eyes and more than three working brain cells knows that John Hynes and his staff should be coaching in the ECHL, but here they are because John is your buddy.  Even if you do the unthinkable and fire John Hynes, I have no confidence that you have the ability to replace him with someone who's any better.  In the meantime, we will see Hughes and Nico continue to stagnate and you'll ruin whatever top three pick we get this year. (I'd say I'm hoping for Byfield, but it would be a cruel joke for him to have to play for an organization run by you).

In case I'm not being clear.  You're the problem.

We used to be the Patriots of the NHL. 

Now we're the NY Giants of the NHL. 

• Like 2

Gotta love how you discredit him for the success he had for having Crosby and Malkin. But then doesn't give him any slack for re-building a team almost from scratch with no real pieces to build around or any assets to do anything. If you truly think you can build a super competitive team in only 4 years from what we had in 2015, you're incredibly delusional. But we already knew that

Also Is it his fault both of his first round picks were not generational talents like McDavid and Crosby? 

• Like 1

I don't throw all the blame at Ray for this mess, but Hynes has to go.

Question though: did we rush both Nico and Jack?

Why did we have to play them right away. Why not let them develop in the AHL for two years to bulk up?

Is it only for cap reasons that they have to play right away these days?

I see the same thing happening all over the league, jasperi kokenemi and Nolan being two other examples.

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Why did we have to play them right away. Why not let them develop in the AHL for two years to bulk up?

I see the same thing happening all over the league, jasperi kokenemi and Nolan being two other examples.

#1OA picks don’t play in the AHL. They were both clearly ready to step right in. Nico had a very solid rookie season in fact. And just a couple weeks ago we were talking about how it seemed all the pundits that said Kakko was more NHL than Hughes were wrong. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

#1OA picks don’t play in the AHL. They were both clearly ready to step right in. Nico had a very solid rookie season in fact. And just a couple weeks ago we were talking about how it seemed all the pundits that said Kakko was more NHL than Hughes were wrong. 

That has been the trend. If either Nico or Jack didn’t make the team, people would be panning them as busts.

6 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

This feels like some second-guessing.  Nico had a fine first season, and was on track for an improved second one...he seems to be making his way up the Whipping Boy Ladder, but he's put up 11 points in his last 14 GP.  Hughes has been up and down but in general hasn't looked like he can't hack it here.  I have no issues with either of them entering the league when they did.

You can make the argument that Zacha was rushed though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

It’s not rushing them.  It’s having them learn from incompetent coaches.

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Gotta love how you discredit him for the success he had for having Crosby and Malkin. But then doesn't give him any slack for re-building a team almost from scratch with no real pieces to build around or any assets to do anything. If you truly think you can build a super competitive team in only 4 years from what we had in 2015, you're incredibly delusional. But we already knew that

Also Is it his fault both of his first round picks were not generational talents like McDavid and Crosby? 

Imagine my surprise to learn there are lots of other teams that have success besides those that have Crosby or McDavid.  Ray is even more shocked than me.  You don’t expect him to actually figure out at least how not to be awful without one of those guys?  He might actually have to tell one of his buddies that things aren’t working out.

Edited by Daniel

The worst part is that I don't even want to look at the top prospects this year and I am usually someone who loves prospect lists. My buddies are already giving me crap for "how many #1's overall do you guys need to start winning" another #1 overall would make that insufferable...Just don't want to be a team that is bad enough to luck out 3 times in 4 years. Even though it is illogical, I think I will genuinely be rooting against the ping-pong balls showing up in the Devils favor next draft lottery. 

Just now, Jerzey said:

It feels like Ray busted his ass all summer to build this team and then once the season started he went on vacation and hasn’t come back since. fvckin do something. One thing to let us know you’re still there.

Nah. He doesn’t wanna hurt his buddy Hynes’ feelings. 

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

It feels like Ray busted his ass all summer to build this team and then once the season started he went on vacation and hasn’t come back since. fvckin do something. One thing to let us know you’re still there.

Wasn't that what the Schneider move was?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steadevils said:

The worst part is that I don't even want to look at the top prospects this year and I am usually someone who loves prospect lists. My buddies are already giving me crap for "how many #1's overall do you guys need to start winning" another #1 overall would make that insufferable...Just don't want to be a team that is bad enough to luck out 3 times in 4 years. Even though it is illogical, I think I will genuinely be rooting against the ping-pong balls showing up in the Devils favor next draft lottery. 

That's literally the silliest thing I have ever read

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I know what he means.  With Shero our GM for life and John Hynes our head coach for life getting the next five number 1 picks overall won't make a difference, and the failure despite having those picks makes the organization even more of a laughing stock than it already is.

Ladies and gents, it's time to wear paper bags to the games. 

4 hours ago, Steadevils said:

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I mean while we’re at it, if we win the Stanley Cup this year, people will expect us to win it again next year and that’s too much pressure. So I vote for no more championships so the expectations don’t get too high. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean while we’re at it, if we win the Stanley Cup this year, people will expect us to win it again next year and that’s too much pressure. So I vote for no more championships so the expectations don’t get too high. 

The team has heard your suggestion and will be following it going forward

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think the jury is still out on Hughes/Kakko they're both off to essentially the same start.