GDT: Devils @ Canadiens, Turkey Day, 730 Eastern

jagknife

Gusev is the type of player who I don't expect to have a super high shooting% over a longer time frame given how he plays. He has a dangerous enough shot to score from range but he's been throwing a lot of low percentage shots at the net and it seems like he's doing so out of an awareness that if he holds the puck too long in the offensive zone he's going to lose it because he's not a good enough skater to avoid pressure and not powerful enough to get low with the puck often. I'd rather him throw a quick shot at the net and turn it over than just turn it over. He's been learning quite fast what he can and can't do in the NHL and his primary game is pass-first anyway. For the first time last night, we really saw Gusev's top notch passing skills on display - something he hasn't really been comfortable enough to activate up until recently. His line wasn't completely dominant in both ends of the ice last night - Montreal created a lot of offense against them but considering that Montreal is really good at generating offense and that the Gusev line didn't really let up much that was significantly dangerous, it was a really good night for them.

The Wood-Zacha-Bratt line on the other hand, was terrible. Zacha is much better than Hayden and Seney obviously but his play of recent really has been disappointing. He better pick it up soon because I sense some growing discontent between him and Hynes.

In all, the Devils might have played an ugly game yesterday in being a bit more aggressive on the puck - Montreal by far got the best of the high event hockey, but hey, the Devils got pucks to the high danger areas via odd man rush and when you do that, even if you get outplayed, you can still win sometimes. Oh and Severson took just a stupid shot as well. I'm not satisfied though, because the Devils have played games this season where they generated offense while being way more responsible throughout the ice. Two of those games that I can think of off the top of my head, they lost due to bad luck and bad goaltending.

Edited by Neb00rs

Coleman has undervalued offensive upside that is, basically, entirely a product of his work ethic. Putting Goose with Pickles and Zajac was a good idea to mitigate the defensive lapse in Goose's game.I'm pretty sure I suggested it weeks ago. They should hire me to sit in on the bench.

Also, should I mention that Coleman is just a role guy and shouldn't be this productive? We were supposed to trade him for TJ Brodie before the season started... /s

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Also, should I mention that Coleman is just a role guy and shouldn't be this productive? We were supposed to trade him for TJ Brodie before the season started... /s

He’s played two full seasons, season 2 was an improvement over season 1, and season 3 is shaping up to be a further improvement. 

I think calling him a role player might be mislabeling him. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s played two full seasons, season 2 was an improvement over season 1, and season 3 is shaping up to be a further improvement. 

I think calling him a role player might be mislabeling him. 

Yea, that is why I was being sarcastic. Someone at the beginning of the year defended that we should trade him for TJ Brodie when that rumor was circulating because he is "just a role guy and we here on this board should let go of our love affair with role guys" or something to that affect. lol

Edited by NJDevils1214

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea, that is why I was being sarcastic. Someone at the beginning of the year defended that we should trade him for TJ Brodie when that rumor was circulating because he is "just a role guy and we here on this board should let go of our love affair with role guys" or something to that affect. lol

I do remember who it was, but I won’t call them out. They also said Coleman would never sniff 20 goals in a season again. Well, he’s got 9 through 24 GP...

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I do remember who it was, but I won’t call them out. They also said Coleman would never sniff 20 goals in a season again. Well, he’s got 9 through 24 GP...

Right, if anything the role he’s playing is “solid bottom 6 forward”. 

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s exactly what the guy in the picture would say if he didn’t want to be identified. 

I'm pretty easily identifiable lol i don't really hide behind a random screen name here. I posted pictures and videos of me here already and it's pretty easy to find my name and everything lol 

I'm truly not that dude haha

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm pretty easily identifiable lol i don't really hide behind a random screen name here. I posted pictures and videos of me here already and it's pretty easy to find my name and everything lol 

I'm truly not that dude haha

Sure.