Hynes fired! Nas' named interim head coach

RunninWithTheDevil

I am surprised they just didn't bump him down to Bingo.  Not really sure what this does other than makes it look better to the masses. I guess the payroll doesn't really go up either.  Still a nice troll job I think to those who really wanted John gone...

Edited by hystyk28

The PK has been weak this year but honestly, as the season has unfolded and looking at the entire Hynes tenure, the only stability really has been Nas's PK system. It makes sense for an interim situation, not a permanent gig. Everyone on that staff has culpability.

Edited by Neb00rs

Nas has never been a head coach in his career. Sure step right up. FFS at least Kowalsky coached a bunch of years at the AHL level but he was never a Pen.  Don't get me wrong they should of all been shown the door.

Edited by titans04

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

there's no way Shero is not trying to get someone who's not yet available or need time for something.. this makes no sense

Maybe Shero made an offer to someone who's thinking it over? I suspect it's more a case that he's been looking for a replacement, hasn't found one yet but results got so bad he had no choice but to make a change.

It's worth pointing out that from almost all accounts John Hynes is a decent human being, so it's not fun that this day had to come but it did have to come given the gap between roster talent and results. The Devils did their best under Hynes to offer some stability to Hall for the first time in his career. Part of that stability was Hynes himself - Hall has openly praised his coaching before - and it'd be my best guess that Hall was supportive of Hynes behind the scenes this entire year. No doubt that Hynes leaving all but seals the deal for Hall's exit from NJ.

Amazing how fast things have spiraled downwards since 2017-18. And yet, somehow the future is still bright.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's worth pointing out that from almost all accounts John Hynes was a decent human being, so it's not fun that this day had to come but it did have to come given the gap between roster talent and results. The Devils did their best under Hynes to offer some stability to Hall for the first time in his career. Part of that stability was Hynes himself - Hall has openly praised his coaching before - and it'd be my best guess that Hall was supportive of Hynes behind the scenes this entire year. No doubt that Hynes leaving all but seals the deal for Hall's exit from NJ.

Amazing how fast things have spiraled downwards since 2017-18. And yet, somehow the future is still bright.

I think this was an incredibly painful decision for Ray...this is just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fitz reported to Shero that there were some issues with Hynes' coaching and recommended making a change sooner, but Shero wanted to give Hynes a chance to pull the Devils out of this thing...until he realized that he simply had no other choice.  But at least he did it...and at least that will put an end to the "Hynes is here to stay no matter what, he's Shero's buddy!" crap. 

It would be easy to say "fvcking NAS?!  Really Ray?!"...and initially that was my first reaction, but Nas is what he is:  an interim.  Unless the Devils enjoy a massive turnaround under his watch, this is temporary.  We'll see when the REAL next coach of the Devils takes the reigns. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Maybe Shero made an offer to someone who's thinking it over? I suspect it's more a case that he's been looking for a replacement, hasn't found one yet but results got so bad he had no choice but to make a change.

that or maybe Shero had Babcock in mind. I mean it's really not impossible. But then with all the sh!t coming out they obviously backed down or are looking into it.

Not trying to make excuses for Shero. It just doesn't really make sense how it's going down without having some sort of logical explanations

Temporary for sure. Message needed to be sent after such a loss. Ray is hunting for Someone. But after making a move as he did putting nas as interim this means he’s not going anywhere anytime soon... fvck unless he too sh!ts the bed for the next few games.

Edited by Devils01

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think this was an incredibly painful decision for Ray...this is just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fitz reported to Shero that there were some issues with Hynes' coaching and recommended making a change sooner, but Shero wanted to give Hynes a chance to pull the Devils out of this thing...until he realized that he simply had no other choice.  But at least he did it...and at least that will put an end to the "Hynes is hereto stay no matter what, he's Shero's buddy!" crap. 

It would be easy to say "fvcking NAS?!  Really Ray?!"...and initially that was my first reaction, but Nas is what he is:  an interim.  Unless the Devils enjoy a massive turnaround under his watch, this is temporary.  We'll see when the REAL next coach of the Devils takes the reigns. 

The hot takes on a hockey forum of a bottom of the barrel hockey team can get pretty callous and ruthless sometimes - and perhaps rightly so in the name of frustration, but re: the bolded, I'm obliged to completely agree with that take. Still, as we know, no single person can be bigger than the team if you want to win or for that matter run a successful franchise no matter how good the person in question is and I imagine unless the Devils go on some sort of magical run now, Ray waiting this long to drop Hynes won't reflect well on him. That said, people are willing to have short memories given new successes and Ray can start such a trend off with a solid return for Hall.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1