Hynes fired! Nas' named interim head coach

RunninWithTheDevil

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The hot takes on a hockey forum of a bottom of the barrel hockey team can get pretty callous and ruthless sometimes - and perhaps rightly so in the name of frustration, but re: the bolded, I'm obliged to completely agree with that take. Still, as we know, no single person can be bigger than the team if you want to win or for that matter run a successful franchise no matter how good the person in question is and I imagine unless the Devils go on some sort of magical run now, Ray waiting this long to drop Hynes won't reflect well on him. That said, people are willing to have short memories with new successes and Ray can start such a trend off with a solid return for Hall.

Yeah, Ray did wait too long...would've been nice if he had done this maybe 3 or 4 rock bottoms ago.  I don't think anyone would disagree. 

But at least he's taking action in the face of an obvious crisis now.

Agree with the posts about hynes being a decent guy... no matter how hot headed the fan in me gets, I feel for the guy.. it's not a fun time.. hynes might not get another shot in the big league..

As for nas.. its strictly interim.. ray cannot make a quick decision here. His next hire might be his last.. the next system and coaching style must match the roster..  one more high pick plus the hall pick and a prospect.. afaik shero gets 1 more draft and FA period... to show us hope

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Agree with the posts about hynes being a decent guy... no matter how hot headed the fan in me gets, I feel for the guy.. it's not a fun time.. hynes might not get another shot in the big league..

As for nas.. its strictly interim.. ray cannot make a quick decision here. His next hire might be his last.. the next system and coaching style must match the roster..  one more high pick plus the hall pick and a prospect.. afaik shero gets 1 more draft and FA period... to show us hope

Not according to his press conference 10 mins ago - Nas has a great opportunity in front of him, also went onto point to Bylsma and Berube who started out as interim. Also mentioned is "always has a list of potential head and assistant coaches"

Edited by titans04

So Hynes actually got a three year extension a year ago. So he wasn’t lame duck.  “But here’s the thing. Devils GM Ray Shero gave Hynes a three-year extension 11 months ago to the day – Jan. 3, 2019 – at a time when the Devils were almost as bad as they are now. The day Hynes signed his deal, the Devils were the third-worst team in the Eastern Conference and the season was already essentially lost, since they were already 12 points out of a playoff spot. (By the way, if that date seems significant, it’s because it was. The St. Louis Blues went into their game that night dead-last in the NHL and beat the Washington Capitals 5-2 to start a run that culminated in a Stanley Cup parade.) It seemed like an odd time to give your coach a three-year extension rather than wait to see how the rest of the season played out. Instead of extending Hynes, the Devils could have simply allowed him to finish his contract and set him free.”  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/john-hynes-is-not-a-bad-coach-but-he-had-to-be-fired-by-the-new-jersey-devils

Edited by MadDog2020

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

that or maybe Shero had Babcock in mind. I mean it's really not impossible. But then with all the sh!t coming out they obviously backed down or are looking into it.

Not trying to make excuses for Shero. It just doesn't really make sense how it's going down without having some sort of logical explanations

I really think this is what we've all known might happen and have also discussed. I know you and I agreed on it last night, a change had to happen and at least he wasn't named new coach, that "interim" tag is massive.

But like you, I don't get putting a guy who has literally never held the role as coach at ANY level the reins of an NHL team...

Oh well, its not Hynes and he is only Interim.....

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I really think this is what we've all known might happen and have also discussed. I know you and I agreed on it last night, a change had to happen and at least he wasn't named new coach, that "interim" tag is massive.

But like you, I don't get putting a guy who has literally never held the role as coach at ANY level the reins of an NHL team...

Oh well, its not Hynes and he is only Interim.....

He'll finish the season as Shero does nothing quickly.