Hynes fired! Nas' named interim head coach

RunninWithTheDevil

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Says the guy who was convinced that Shero would never ever fire Hynes. 

It's kinda hard to take anything you say about Shero seriously...just sayin'. 

But yeah, though I'm intrigued by the idea of Stevens, it is always tricky bringing in a guy who was a legend as a player.  Stevens had his rough moments here, but the overall body of work was so damned good that no one really thinks about those moments at all.  It truly is all "eternal sunshine" with him, when it comes to how he's remembered.  Would suck to see him come back and not have a head coaching gig work out. 

I think this current bunch would wear poor Larry Robinson out in a hurry.  Easy to forget how much damned talent was on those Devils teams...a HOF goalie, two HOF D-men, and several fine players throughout. 

If a defense corps of Greene-Salvador-Volchenkov-Fayne-19 year old Adam Larsson-Peter Harrold-Zidlicky did not wear him out, nothing will.  Plus, he'd be teaching Ty Smith and maybe just maybe a young stud defenseman we get back in a Hall trade.  The guy improves the defensemen literally everywhere he goes.  If it takes an extra million bucks to get him here, do it.  Not like you're spending that money on players anyway.

EDIT:  And considering Nassaradine is pretty much John Hynes with a French Canadian name, I was not really wrong about Shero never firing Hynes.

Edited by Daniel

8 hours ago, mackchi said:

Pepperkorn is so right!!

love it. Where is the Scott Stevens intensity?

this team needs a kickass captain and a no bs coach. Too much of the “brotherhood” teambuilding trips, feel good crap. The new ownership loves all the cute marketing slogans and corporate speak. 

For all of Lou’s problems in the later years of the Devils demise, many of which he was hamstrung by bad finances, just look at what he is doing in NY. Awesome coaching, no name superstars on team etc etc. 

This team has no fire, no fear no nothing to play for. WAKE UP. 

too much feel good stuff. Not working. 

yup and thats on scott oniell to imo 

not so much andy greene

nasserdine was gunning for hynes was a thought as well possibly undermining hynes but im not willing to debate that just throwing that out

giving hall a pass (get it) is a little unrealistic to as I said for hynes to finally drop hall to third line the day before hes fired was wierd.

From Friedman’s 30 Thoughts: 

6. New Jersey GM Ray Shero was asked if Alain Nasreddine stays the rest of the season. “We’ll have list that we’ll compile,” he answered. “We know at the end of the year there’s more possibilities…. For the short term for sure, I really want to see where this goes. The opportunity for (Nasreddine) is there in front of him.” 

There is no point in rushing to hire a new coach unless there’s someone out there you absolutely must have — and, as I write this, there’s no evidence of such an overwhelming candidate. 

The Devils did the right thing by Hynes, not making him coach one more game in front of the same fans who chanted for his firing last weekend. 

There will be a lot of Dan Bylsma rumours because of his history with Shero, but that’s far from a guarantee. It’s such an unsettled time because of everything that’s coming out; it’s probably the worst time to try to hire somebody. AHL Chicago’s Rocky Thompson worked in the Edmonton organization while the team’s VP of analytics, Tyler Dellow, was in the Alberta capital. And someone’s going to give Lane Lambert a shot.

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Now that’s some logic. 

LOL I don't see why Shero would care at all about 'if I gotta fire Hynes I'm damn well putting his mini-me on the bench', I don't think he's that pathological.  And I'm not going to assume Nas is automatically going to BE a mini-me just because of personal loyalty although I'm on record not wanting him promoted, I'd rather just have gone with Noel or Horachek as the interim (maybe Fitz but he doesn't have much coaching experience either) but it is the easiest thing to do if you're making an in-season change and not to a preferred long-term candidate.  Lou installed himself, and a bunch of assistants when he made in-season coaching changes other than the Constantine thing which was meh.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Stevens kids are probably having their own kids about now.  His youngest is 22 I guestimated based on my own daughters age. I think his youngest was 6 when my 16 year old was born.  

Anyhow - piss on that. I wouldn’t wish these aholes on any first time head coach. I’d much rather a happy Stevens taking pot shots from his arm chair. Or, you know, broadcasterschair so Ican ogle him 🤩🤪😍😘😘😘😘

Thanks for that video btw 🥰 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

From Friedman’s 30 Thoughts: 

6. New Jersey GM Ray Shero was asked if Alain Nasreddine stays the rest of the season. “We’ll have list that we’ll compile,” he answered. “We know at the end of the year there’s more possibilities…. For the short term for sure, I really want to see where this goes. The opportunity for (Nasreddine) is there in front of him.” 

There is no point in rushing to hire a new coach unless there’s someone out there you absolutely must have — and, as I write this, there’s no evidence of such an overwhelming candidate. 

The Devils did the right thing by Hynes, not making him coach one more game in front of the same fans who chanted for his firing last weekend. 

There will be a lot of Dan Bylsma rumours because of his history with Shero, but that’s far from a guarantee. It’s such an unsettled time because of everything that’s coming out; it’s probably the worst time to try to hire somebody. AHL Chicago’s Rocky Thompson worked in the Edmonton organization while the team’s VP of analytics, Tyler Dellow, was in the Alberta capital. And someone’s going to give Lane Lambert a shot.

didn't he also say at one point that he always has a list (meaning on hand at all times) for potential HC and Assistant coaches and that Nas was on it meaning for the HC position?  That would lead me to believe it's his to keep should he succeed. However I don't see him succeeding with this roster nor do I think his "structure" wtf that is will be much different than his mentors was.

34 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL I don't see why Shero would care at all about 'if I gotta fire Hynes I'm damn well putting his mini-me on the bench', I don't think he's that pathological.  And I'm not going to assume Nas is automatically going to BE a mini-me just because of personal loyalty although I'm on record not wanting him promoted, I'd rather just have gone with Noel or Horachek as the interim (maybe Fitz but he doesn't have much coaching experience either) but it is the easiest thing to do if you're making an in-season change and not to a preferred long-term candidate.  Lou installed himself, and a bunch of assistants when he made in-season coaching changes other than the Constantine thing which was meh.

It's not just that Nassaradine and Hynes have been attached at the hip.  It's the fact that much of what has been going horribly wrong going back to last season have been things directly under his purview.  It's not completely implausible that Nass had all these different things he wanted to do, but which Hynes wouldn't allow, but color me extremely skeptical.

And as Friedman reported, the firing, at least when it happened, was almost a mercy killing on Shero's part as it was going to be non-stop Fire Hynes (and perhaps alternated with Fire Shero) last night if he were still the coach.

The obvious answer is that the decision has been made to tank the rest of the season.  Like maybe while Shero is working on a Hall trade there's some kind of miracle and things start to turn around dramatically and he pulls back.  But don't for a second believe that Shero or Harris realistically think this season can be salvaged.

Let's back up a moment and realize that it's not like we were shoe-in for the playoffs or supposed to be contenders this year. Nothing is ever guaranteed, hell even Tampa who finished the season with like 450pts last season are not making the playoffs at the moment. The Blue Jackets are the only team from last year in the playoff who got worst over the summer i think.

So sure we we're supposed to be better than this... but we also lost like 56 games by one goal... while having terrible goaltending. And having our best player hitting like 98 crossbars.

We're pretty bad, but we're a bit better than the standings are showing now. But we're also not a playoffs team, we're still trending up IMO. I keep saying this but It was going to be a long process to rebuild a winning team from that 2015 disaster roster and prospect pool

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Let's back up a moment and realize that it's not like we were shoe-in for the playoffs or supposed to be contenders this year. Nothing is ever guaranteed, hell even Tampa who finished the season with like 450pts last season are not making the playoffs at the moment. The Blue Jackets are the only team from last year in the playoff who got worst over the summer i think.

So sure we we're supposed to be better than this... but we also lost like 56 games by one goal... while having terrible goaltending. And having our best player hitting like 98 crossbars.

We're pretty bad, but we're a bit better than the standings are showing now. But we're also not a playoffs team, we're still trending up IMO. I keep saying this but It was going to be a long process to rebuild a winning team from that 2015 disaster roster and prospect pool

image.png.7a541fcb1bf9a35a271590a657a6ae4c.png

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Let's also remember, Fitz may have had a recommendation as to who would be the best case. I think Nas was also given the chance, because I don't think Horacheck is a long-term option - and we don't know if Noel was asked anyway. For all we know - he's enjoying part-time scout life at home.

7 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

We also don't know what  that really meant. It could have simply meant he wanted to live in NJ again, where his family is, and not Minnesota - and that in NJ - he'd be open to coaching. Also- Stevens' kids have to be in college by now, no? All for spending time with family, but is there any more home-life for a hockey coach than the tri-state area. They only fly to what - 35 games a year? - They maybe on the road for 40-45 nights a year, something his family was likely used to while playing/coaching here. 

Another Edit: We also don't know if he really wanted to remain an assistant. Almost like "been there, done that" 

An NHL Network gig that films in Secaucus is even less stress, a short commute and doesn't have to worried about getting fired.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

An NHL Network gig that films in Secaucus is even less stress, a short commute and doesn't have to worried about getting fired.

I don't think Stevens worries about getting fired. Guy like that - I bet he'd jump at the chance to lead a coaching position - especially right here at home. Before, I saw some concerns about "firing." Look everyone here knows it's a business - if Stevens takes the gig - he knows and they know - they can fire him. Former players forever have been involved with their former teams, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - and those teams move on. Everyone is an adult.

3 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I don't think Stevens worries about getting fired. Guy like that - I bet he'd jump at the chance to lead a coaching position - especially right here at home. Before, I saw some concerns about "firing." Look everyone here knows it's a business - if Stevens takes the gig - he knows and they know - they can fire him. Former players forever have been involved with their former teams, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - and those teams move on. Everyone is an adult.

It's not so much Stevens understanding of what the job entails that I'm concerned with as much as the people above him who might be reluctant to fire him if it isn't working because of fan sentiment.

He's been my favorite player ever since he got here when I was like 12 years old even though I never heard of him before that (those were the days when Rich Chere and the box score were your only source of hockey news).  And I admit my notions of what his coaching philosophy was when he was an assistant/part of the three headed monster were probably wrong.  Still, I just don't think he'll be a uniquely good head coach to deal with all the baggage that goes along with hiring a team legend for that position. 

Edited by Daniel

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

It's not so much Stevens understanding of what the job entails that I'm concerned with as much as the people above him who might be reluctant to fire him if it isn't working because of fan sentiment.

He's been my favorite player ever since he got here when I was like 12 years old even though I never heard of him before that (those were the days when Rich Chere and the box score were your only source of hockey news).  And I admit my notions of what his coaching philosophy was when he was an assistant/part of the three headed monster were probably wrong.  Still, I just don't think he'll be a uniquely good head coach to deal with all the baggage that goes along with hiring a team legend for that position. 

Just remember though, no one in the front office was here when he was here. And I just don’t think it’s a big a deal as one might think. He’s a coach, legend or not, makes no difference. Lest we forget he also earned this through his assistant coaching days - it’s not like it’s his first job. It’s a gig, everyone understands that. 

5 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Just remember though, no one in the front office was here when he was here. And I just don’t think it’s a big a deal as one might think. He’s a coach, legend or not, makes no difference. Lest we forget he also earned this through his assistant coaching days - it’s not like it’s his first job. It’s a gig, everyone understands that. 

Fair enough.  Personally though, I want a coach who has proven he can win as a head coach and who has shown that talented young players will perform under him.  We'll see who gets fired at the end of the season because they've run their course.  But my vote right now is for Babcock if he can manage to say all the right things about his past and be slightly less of a crazy person going forward because of it.