Hynes fired! Nas' named interim head coach

RunninWithTheDevil

So basically Nas still isn't very good at coaching D and what we feared might happen with him as a HC pretty much has...the Devils are just getting non-replacement level goaltending to help cover up for it.  The good news is at least it sure looks like Nas won't ever be shedding the "interim" off his current job title.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So basically Nas still isn't very good at coaching D and what we feared might happen with him as a HC pretty much has...the Devils are just getting non-replacement level goaltending to help cover up for it.  The good news is at least it sure looks like Nas won't ever be shedding the "interim" off his current job title.  

It's not that Nas is necessarily bad at coaching D, it's just that he has only made very simple changes to what the team is doing on the ice. Actually, for the most part, the big change is still, "play faster, make decisions faster." Honestly, first and foremost that's exactly what the Devils needed to do. They were were slow under Hynes and hesitant to make up their minds about what to do with the puck. In today's NHL tic-tac-toe type plays are a requirement for making space and scoring - not a luxury. The Devils were not even able to break out of their zone competently under Hynes - save for maybe PK (who had his own share of mistakes) - the "can't make a five foot pass" thing was spot on. The simplified, sped up game is leading to more chances the other way and yeah, Blackwood is a large part of the reason such has not resulted in disaster but I mean...coaches need good goaltenders to win - that's not exactly unique to Nas. Under Nas the team is passing better, at least to the eye, and at least for a good chunk of the time, aren't limited to a perimeter game in the offensive zone which is rather nice to see - this is something Nas has spoken to in interviews.

Going into this season, the Devils needed the glass half full outcome out of their players in order to be as good as expected  - and most of us were optimistic that would happen. But the players have all pretty much been glass half empty when looking at the season as a whole. Not enough players took the next step. Vatanen has played at a very high level since the coaching change - I will say that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's not that Nas is necessarily bad at coaching D, it's just that he has only made very simple changes to what the team is doing on the ice. Actually, for the most part, the big change is still, "play faster, make decisions faster." Honestly, first and foremost that's exactly what the Devils needed to do. They were were slow under Hynes and hesitant to make up their minds about what to do with the puck. In today's NHL tic-tac-toe type plays are a requirement for making space and scoring - not a luxury. The Devils were not even able to break out of their zone competently under Hynes - save for maybe PK (who had his own share of mistakes) - the "can't make a five foot pass" thing was spot on. The simplified, sped up game is leading to more chances the other way and yeah, Blackwood is a large part of the reason such has not resulted in disaster but I mean...coaches need good goaltenders to win - that's not exactly unique to Nas. Under Nas the team is passing better, at least to the eye, and at least for a good chunk of the time, aren't limited to a perimeter game in the offensive zone which is rather nice to see - this is something Nas has spoken to in interviews.

Going into this season, the Devils needed the glass half full outcome out of their players in order to be as good as expected  - and most of us were optimistic that would happen. But the players have all pretty much been glass half empty when looking at the season as a whole. Not enough players took the next step. Vatanen has played at a very high level since the coaching change - I will say that.

This is fair.  If anything, the Devils have definitely become a more compelling and fun team to watch as of late...flaws be damned. 

I just bought tix last night to Sunday's game against the Lightning...really hope THAT game isn't typical of the games the Devils usually have against them. 

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't get your point. Half full = half empty

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or those stats just really mean d!ck. 

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I put almost nothing past Shero vis-a-vis coaching decisions at this point but yeah they keep struggling through the deadline and he should be pretty much riding out the string.  I don't want to hear about a Nas extension if they go on some meaningless last five or six week stretch run drive when they're 40 points out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

whether its Hynes or Nas, you see and hear the same things - "mental mistakes" and "not playing the way we should". Sometimes, the players just aren't that good.

That's my thoughts as well. The sum of the parts isn't nearly good enough. 

4 hours ago, sundstrom said:

whether its Hynes or Nas, you see and hear the same things - "mental mistakes" and "not playing the way we should". Sometimes, the players just aren't that good.

Some of the players are question marks for sure, but I’m even more confident saying both coaches we’ve had are not that good. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The good news is at least it sure looks like Nas won't ever be shedding the "interim" off his current job title.  

What makes you say this?  I'm hoping I missed something..

It would not surprise me at all if Shero kept Nas around at this point.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but isn’t it usually the case that the “interim” guy finishes the season and the replacement coach starts fresh the following season?

Typically, but why not just swoop Laviolette up now? He could get other offers over the summer. 

Players would get a head start on playing his system, too. 

• Like 2

I believe he's getting paid to sit home through next season

he may feel better options could possibly be available during the off season

Ray may not be as big of a fan as we are here

I'm not sure the job is as appealing as we may think it is

Ray better have a backup plan that doesn't include anybody currently behind the bench

#goodtimes

Edited by titans04

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

I believe he's getting paid to sit home through next season

he may feel better options could possibly be available during the off season

Ray may not be as big of a fan as we are here

I'm not sure the job is as appealing as we may think it is

Ray better have a backup plan that doesn't include anybody currently behind the bench

#goodtimes

The short list should be Laviolette, Montgomery, Babcock. In that order. 

And ofc some other coaches might become available by the end of the season. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Typically, but why not just swoop Laviolette up now? He could get other offers over the summer. 

Players would get a head start on playing his system, too. 

You’re assuming he’d want the job.

I understand the idea for sure, but it doesn’t really seem like that ever happens. Yet people are talking like it’s a surprise if Nas coaches the rest of the season. 

Don't think Bobcock has as much shine as he use to imo anyway. He's seems to have become an even bigger grinding ahole than before with a checkered past in toronto.

Would take Laviolette or Montgomery in a heartbeat.

Barring that I would take anybody not currently here because that option to me just kicks the can full of sh!t down the road.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

What makes you say this?  I'm hoping I missed something..

It would not surprise me at all if Shero kept Nas around at this point.  

We've all thought that Nas wasn't bringing much to the table, as far as working with the D-corp goes...looks like all he's done as the HC is cement that belief.

Like I said at the time he was promoted to HC, I was OK with him as an interim, but nothing more.  I really can't see Shero sticking with him beyond this year, based on results.  And I'm in full agreement with Has...please, no 2+ year extensions for Nas if the Devils suddenly go on a 20-game run or so in meaningless games to end their season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1