Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone should ban both of you lol. 

I'm sorry, my friend.  I'm not the one who is still going on about not trading Zach Parise almost eight years after the fact. I didn't double down on stupidity by claiming that Lou should have traded literally everyone on an expiring contract going back to Bobby fvcking Holik.  And I don't keep bringing up what everyone knows but is besides the point, which is five years ago the team wasn't good and there wasn't much if any organizational depth. 

We went from the start of the season where the General Manager proclaimed "the Devils are back in business" and where he previously said "not on your fvcking life" when asked about trading Taylor Hall to it being Christmas eve and he has traded Taylor Hall for a meh package, the team sits in second to last place in the entire league and a fire sale of players is happening very soon.  To add insult to injury, the AHL team is terrible too.  It's a new rebuild, and Ray Shero is lying if he's telling you that's not what it is and you're a sucker if you believe him.

But even so, I'm interested in talking about the future of the team, because that's really all we have at this point.  Unfortunately, one person is bringing up things that happened literally two decades ago.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

But even so, I'm interested in talking about the future of the team, because that's really all we have at this point.  Unfortunately, one person is bringing up things that happened literally two decades ago.

Gimme an excellence excuse to explain why you keep talking to each other ? Beware, the " Ego reason" can't be used !
Wait... You don't think you can change each other mind ? 
Or both of you just love to type words ? 

Put each other on ignore ? Maybe ? Or better ! Beeetter... Use your brain and realise that what you are doing both of you is boring, pointless and you are making this place a pile of craps. As if the ice production by the Devils wasn't enough. 

Cool ? Cool ! 

13 minutes ago, moustic said:

Gimme an excellence excuse to explain why you keep talking to each other ? Beware, the " Ego reason" can't be used !
Wait... You don't think you can change each other mind ? 
Or both of you just love to type words ? 

Put each other on ignore ? Maybe ? Or better ! Beeetter... Use your brain and realise that what you are doing both of you is boring, pointless and you are making this place a pile of craps. As if the ice production by the Devils wasn't enough. 

Cool ? Cool ! 

Ok, let's talk about where the team is going.  That's pretty much all I wanted to talk about, but there are some people who decide to respond that everything is fine, it's going according to some plan, and in any event we're only here because of things that happened twenty years ago.  It's in my nature not to let people get away with talking nonsense.  We'll see if the ignore button works.

What would this place be like if the Devils were in a prime playoff spot?  Would there be anywhere near the amount of arguing that there is this year?  I haven’t been on this forum that long.  What was it like in 2012?  Was it mostly rainbows and unicorns?  Curious to know.

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

More Abbott and Costello, in my opinion. 

What’s on defense, Who’s in goal

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm sorry, my friend.  I'm not the one who is still going on about not trading Zach Parise almost eight years after the fact. I didn't double down on stupidity by claiming that Lou should have traded literally everyone on an expiring contract going back to Bobby fvcking Holik.  And I don't keep bringing up what everyone knows but is besides the point, which is five years ago the team wasn't good and there wasn't much if any organizational depth. 

We went from the start of the season where the General Manager proclaimed "the Devils are back in business" and where he previously said "not on your fvcking life" when asked about trading Taylor Hall to it being Christmas eve and he has traded Taylor Hall for a meh package, the team sits in second to last place in the entire league and a fire sale of players is happening very soon.  To add insult to injury, the AHL team is terrible too.  It's a new rebuild, and Ray Shero is lying if he's telling you that's not what it is and you're a sucker if you believe him.

As far as a “fire sale” goes...I wouldn’t put trading some players who aren’t a part of the long-term picture in that category.

Guys like Greene and Simmonds...not like they were likely to be here in 2020-21 anyway.  I read what you posted to me about Vatanen and yeah, though Shero COULD overpay him to stay if he wanted to, it does look like he’s trying to change the identity of his D.  So Vats probably gets moved too.

To me, if solid players signed beyond this year like Palms or Coleman get moved...then yeah, Shero’s fully bailing on his current team save for the obvious names, and Rebuild 2.0 is in full swing.  But for a team that’s firmly in last place and hasn’t shown it deserves to be fortified with any in-season “right now” moves (or kept intact), Shero’s only really doing what makes sense, in trying to get some pieces for expiring contracts.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

though Shero COULD overpay him to stay if he wanted to, it does look like he’s trying to change the identity of his D.  So Vats probably gets moved too.

You’re assuming he would want to sign, and that no other team would offer him the same money (minus year 8). 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re assuming he would want to sign, and that no other team would offer him the same money (minus year 8). 

Not assuming Vats would definitely want to stay...more that Shero probably isn’t considering it anymore (if he ever was).

I think if Shero offered Vats like a five or six year deal at $6 million a year, he'd sign now.  I don't think he fits what Shero wants the defense to look like down the road, so barring a miracle run and even if there is some miracle run, he's getting traded.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well you said Shero could overpay him to stay...that may not be true. 

Probably should have said that Shero COULD overpay him if he felt so inclined.  Devils have the cap room for it, so that’s an option.  But like Daniel said, I think that Shero’s vision for this D long-term probably doesn’t include Vats.  And though I like Vatanen, he does have warts...misses his fair share of games, for one.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably should have said that Shero COULD overpay him if he felt so inclined.  Devils have the cap room for it, so that’s an option.  But like Daniel said, I think that Shero’s vision for this D long-term probably doesn’t include Vats.  And though I like Vatanen, he does have warts...misses his fair share of games, for one.

My point was, over paying him doesn’t guarantee he will want to stay. You can offer him all the money you want, if he has a chance to go somewhere he actually wants to be for similar money, that’s where he’s going.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

My point was, over paying him doesn’t guarantee he will want to stay. You can offer him all the money you want, if he has a chance to go somewhere he actually wants to be for similar money, that’s where he’s going.

Yeah, said that I’m not assuming that Vats would stay, in a prior post.  I didn’t say that an overpayment offer would guarantee that he’d sign it.  More that if Shero wanted to make that kind of an offer to Vats, he could, given the cap space that he has to work with.  And here ends this cross-examination.  

19 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

What would this place be like if the Devils were in a prime playoff spot?  Would there be anywhere near the amount of arguing that there is this year?  I haven’t been on this forum that long.  What was it like in 2012?  Was it mostly rainbows and unicorns?  Curious to know.

There's always a good share of arguing but it's not like that 2012 team dominated the regular season either, they were the 6th seed and we blew a 3-0 lead at home in game 3 against Florida and were eventually down 3-2 in a series that felt like we were gonna give away. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d love to get him, but I can’t see the lotto balls bouncing our way again. 

Nor would I want them to either. Winning three first overall picks in four years makes us worse than the Oilers and would tarnish the shine on any future championships imo.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Nor would I want them to either. Winning three first overall picks in four years makes us worse than the Oilers and would tarnish the shine on any future championships imo.

This is a perspective that I just don't understand.  I'll take tarnished future cup(s) all day long. Let's win a playoff series one of these years first. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This is a perspective that I just don't understand.  I'll take tarnished future cup(s) all day long. Let's win a playoff series one of the years first. 

Uhh yeah, wtf do I care about “tarnished” championships? A cup is a cup. We’re going to worry about HOW we win? Not me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Uhh yeah, wtf do I care about “tarnished” championships? A cup is a cup. We’re going to worry about HOW we win? Not me.

Yeah - 3 #1s leading the way, sound great to me!

Also - there'll be the bitching and moaning about a team shouldn't be allowed to have that many 1s in short order - eat it. We made the playoffs after the first one, injuries caused the 2nd one, and we even went and spent money and traded for big contracts - we weren't in tank mode. So eat it. :)

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This is a perspective that I just don't understand.  I'll take tarnished future cup(s) all day long. Let's win a playoff series one of these years first. 

Hey I’m not saying I’d be upset if we do get another first overall but would be happier with a top 5 pick that’s not number 1 so that we aren’t the OilersEast so we don’t hear the bitching from our teams and fans about us winning unfairly or what have you.

Edited by devlman

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

Hey I’m not saying I’d be upset if we do get another first overall but would be happier with a top 5 pick that’s not number 1 so that we aren’t the OilersEast so we don’t hear the bitching from our teams and fans about us winning unfairly or what have you.

Not one aiota of sense.