Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Nor would I want them to either. Winning three first overall picks in four years makes us worse than the Oilers and would tarnish the shine on any future championships imo.

I'll take "tarnished" cup winning years every year. Sure beats the hell out of what we have been watching since 2013. The rest of the fan bases who would call them "tarnished" can go fvck themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Pretty sure the goal should always be to get the best possible player regardless of the circumstances every time they step up to the mic on draft day. Call me crazy I guess. 

Yup, pretty much. Not “I hope the top 4 guys are off the board when we get to pick”. Ponderous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll take "tarnished" cup winning years every year. Sure beats the hell out of what we have been watching since 2013. The rest of the fan bases who would call them "tarnished" can go fvck themselves. 

Agreed. 

Absolutely do not care what any other fan base says about Devils winning. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

We already get crap about the 95 cup being a "half a cup" to some fans (mostly Rangers fans) due to the lockout.  Funny how no one says anything about the 2013 Blackhawks.

Regardless, if I can deal with the 95 half-cup idiots I can deal with the tarnished cup nonsense.

I literally never think about that. 

The half Cup meme pretty well disappeared after 2000 and 2003. We’re never going to be a glamour franchise, the hockey establishment will always find a reason to get on us when we win. From the evil, boring trap system to the Marty trapezoid to the cap busting Kovalchuk contract only we got dinged on. If it isn’t ‘3 #1’s’ it’ll just be something else.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

The trap thing never bothered me because it takes skill (precision, IQ, teamwork, defensive acumen) to execute and win a cup with. Winning the first overall pick three times requires being really bad and then really lucky. Nothing to hang your hat on there.

Again, if we did draw first overall once more I won’t complain and to hell with what other fans will say, but I’d prefer to win by building around Jack and Nico than being handed a cup. Two number ones is the line for me, anything more and you’re being gifted a cup. And that’s assuming you really don’t screw things up by managing to not win ala the pathetic Oilers.

If someone had a magic wand and can make me $50 million richer tomorrow and make the reason for my wealth self-made or powerball winner, I’d prefer self-made. Does that mean I wouldn’t be thrilled either way? Of course not. Having that preference is just me, clearly others don’t give a sh!t.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

We already get crap about the 95 cup being a "half a cup" to some fans (mostly Rangers fans) due to the lockout.  Funny how no one says anything about the 2013 Blackhawks.

Regardless, if I can deal with the 95 half-cup idiots I can deal with the tarnished cup nonsense.

Wasn't it technically the 2012 Kings then? I thought the season we made the finals was the lockout season. I could be wrong. I'm at work so I can't google it at the moment.

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wasn't it technically the 2012 Kings then? I thought the season we made the finals was the lockout season. I could be wrong. I'm at work so I can't google it at the moment.

No it was the 2013 Blackhawks. The lockout followed the 2012 season.

• Like 1

Haven't paid attention to Binghamton at all this year but just looked at the standings and then the roster. Woof. Holy hell is there anybody even down there that may actually become a nhl'er that's not a plug. 

Certainly appears like the farm is still as sh!tty as ever. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Again, if we did draw first overall once more I won’t complain and to hell with what other fans will say, but I’d prefer to win by building around Jack and Nico than being handed a cup. Two number ones is the line for me, anything more and you’re being gifted a cup. 

Your argument makes no sense, because on the one hand, you’re saying you don’t want to be the Oilers, and on the other, you don’t want to be gifted a cup. But the Oilers clearly didn’t get a cup. So it’s obvious having 3 #1’s doesn’t mean you get “gifted” a cup. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Your argument makes no sense, because on the one hand, you’re saying you don’t want to be the Oilers, and on the other, you don’t want to be gifted a cup. But the Oilers clearly didn’t get a cup. So it’s obvious having 3 #1’s doesn’t mean you get “gifted” a cup. 

With 3 #1’s, you should have, in theory, have a great chance of a cup within the next decade - Unless you’re horribly mismanaged like the Oilers. So we are either gifted a great chance at a cup or become a laughing stock like the Oilers.

Edited by devlman

26 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Haven't paid attention to Binghamton at all this year but just looked at the standings and then the roster. Woof. Holy hell is there anybody even down there that may actually become a nhl'er that's not a plug. 

Certainly appears like the farm is still as sh!tty as ever. 

Joey Anderson, Michael McLeod more near future. Marian Studenic down the road.

29 minutes ago, devlman said:

With 3 #1’s, you should have, in theory, have a great chance of a cup within the next decade - Unless you’re horribly mismanaged like the Oilers. So we are either gifted a great chance at a cup or become a laughing stock like the Oilers.

So either way, getting another #1 is bad so we should get #5.