Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I just don't like how FOA picks have to play in NHL at 18/19

I'd much prefer a year of AHL seasoning but that never happens with the top pick.

I still don't get this line of thinking.  What does them crushing people in the AHL going to do that a year in the NHL won't?  Which #1OA picks have played in the AHL right after they were drafted?  I cannot think of one in the past 25+ years alone.

43 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I still don't get this line of thinking.  What does them crushing people in the AHL going to do that a year in the NHL won't?  Which #1OA picks have played in the AHL right after they were drafted?  I cannot think of one in the past 25+ years alone.

To further elucidate the issue, Jack Hughes is currently tied for 5th on the team in both goals and assists. I’d be hard pressed to say he belongs in the AHL while he’s doing that as an 18 year old rookie. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, devlman said:

With 3 #1’s, you should have, in theory, have a great chance of a cup within the next decade - Unless you’re horribly mismanaged like the Oilers. So we are either gifted a great chance at a cup or become a laughing stock like the Oilers.

I think id like to be possibly gifted the cup at the risk of possibly being a laughingstock with a lot of entertaining talent. 

• Like 1

Anytime I get angry with Shero, I remind myself of Conte's first round selections for 15 years straight:

2015 - Pavel Zacha (C) 16G 35A 51P 140GP
2014 - John Quenneville (C) 1G 3A 4 P 14GP
2012 - Stefan Matteau (C) 3G 4A 7P 64GP
2011 - Adam Larsson (D) 17G 84A 101P 416GP 141Trade
2009 - Jacob Josefson (C) 20G 44A 64P 315GP
2008 - Mattias Tedenby (LW) 10G 20A 30P 120GP
2006 - Matt Corrente (D) 0G 6A 6P 34GP
2005 - Niclas Bergfors (RW) 35G 48A 83P 173GP
2004 - Travis Zajac (C) 167G 294A 461P 842GP
2003 - Zach Parise (C) 333G 352A 685P 872GP
2001 - Adrian Foster (C) 0GP
2000 - David Hale (D) 4G 25A 327GP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Anytime I get angry with Shero, I remind myself of Conte's first round selections for 15 years straight:

2015 - Pavel Zacha (C) 16G 35A 51P 140GP
2014 - John Quenneville (C) 1G 3A 4 P 14GP
2012 - Stefan Matteau (C) 3G 4A 7P 64GP
2011 - Adam Larsson (D) 17G 84A 101P 416GP 141Trade
2009 - Jacob Josefson (C) 20G 44A 64P 315GP
2008 - Mattias Tedenby (LW) 10G 20A 30P 120GP
2006 - Matt Corrente (D) 0G 6A 6P 34GP
2005 - Niclas Bergfors (RW) 35G 48A 83P 173GP
2004 - Travis Zajac (C) 167G 294A 461P 842GP
2003 - Zach Parise (C) 333G 352A 685P 872GP
2001 - Adrian Foster (C) 0GP
2000 - David Hale (D) 4G 25A 327GP

It’s probably not a terrible track record compared with where they were selected.  And except for Foster, no one was a huge reach.  Conte’s biggest problem was his obsession with big players towards the end.  What I’ve also heard was that after the lockout there was key person on the staff who left that was critical to Conte’s earlier successes.

Just now, titans04 said:

Good lord congratulations somebody finally found a way to make Zacha look less underwhelming. 

Lol look how much better Bergfors’ numbers are in only 33 more games. That gives a lot of perspective. He’s a sh!ttier Niclas Bergfors. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Looks like ownership thought "not on our watch" for another full rebuild. 

We don’t know that other than Harris making a generic comment about needing to win. Harris wasn’t going to come out and say philosophical differences. Harris and the sixers were pro tanking for years and years..so we really don’t know.

3 hours ago, devlman said:

We don’t know that other than Harris making a generic comment about needing to win. Harris wasn’t going to come out and say philosophical differences. Harris and the sixers were pro tanking for years and years..so we really don’t know.

They came out and said they are tired of losing and haven't been winning enough. Complete opposite of what tanking involves. 

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

They came out and said they are tired of losing and haven't been winning enough. Complete opposite of what tanking involves. 

Yeah there's no reason for them to lie about it other than buying time.  People will know soon enough if the owners are full of sh!t about claiming they want to win and then having another three tank seasons.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah there's no reason for them to lie about it other than buying time.  People will know soon enough if the owners are full of sh!t about claiming they want to win and then having another three tank seasons.

What would be nice is if Fitzgerald or someone gave a press conference like Joe Judge did.  You don't need to tell us the maximum contract offer you're willing to give to Sami Vatanen or who on the team is specifically on the trading block, but some concept of the type of players you're hoping to bring in beyond platitudes of "fast, attacking, supportive" would go a long way.

• Like 1