Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah there's no reason for them to lie about it other than buying time.  People will know soon enough if the owners are full of sh!t about claiming they want to win and then having another three tank seasons.

They could say that to protect Shero or themselves to not make either party look foolish. It was a generic statement.

6 hours ago, devlman said:

What else would they say? 

Could have just said the usual "philosophical differences" BS and left it at that? 

If they are now going to let Fitz blow the team up and trade off all the vets, and tank the rest of the season then why fire Ray now? Could have just stuck with the same plan. 

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Could have just said the usual "philosophical differences" BS and left it at that? 

If they are now going to let Fitz blow the team up and trade off all the vets, and tank the rest of the season then why fire Ray now? Could have just stuck with the same plan. 

If you are trading off vets, you want to get the best return. Maybe they didn’t trust that Shero would be the one to get the best return. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If you are trading off vets, you want to get the best return. Maybe they didn’t trust that Shero would be the one to get the best return. 

Shero’s strength is literally trading. You off him before the deadline with three years left on his contract either because you don’t think it’s fair to have him make moves for the next GM (since according to I think Friedman the decision was already made to can him by year’s end a while ago) or there’s a philosophical divide and perhaps Shero would go rogue a la Hextall last year. There’s no other reason that makes sense.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Don't know if this was posted or if anyone is interested, but just watched this video on YouTube (I follow this guy, he's pretty funny lol). A pretty good assessment of our team right now. We gotta be able to laugh about those things, right?

P.S. If you liked this video, watch the one on the Lightning choking vs. Columbus in the 1st round last year, it's great lol.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That's one area Ray has performed very well on over the last 5 years IMO. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Rob_Ottawa said:

Defense core needs complete overhaul.

We desperately need to jettison Greene, and most of the 5-6 guys. 

Im ok with moving Butcher out if it gets us something better, he really hasn't been great since early his first year.

Wonder if Fitz will call Ray, bro, what should I get for homeboy?

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Maybe this thread was correct. 

Except by the look of things now... looks like Ray was not pro-tanking and the rest of management were... but then why would the owner say that it's cause they were just not getting results? Then go ahead and trade our captain and one of our only bright spot (if coleman is indeed traded)

these moves, trading players with a year left on their contract...  plus playing Dom when it makes no sense to do so... looks like a team tanking on purpose.

I'm all for making the necessary move to put ourselves in the best possible situation to improve in the future though but it just so contradictory 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Except by the look of things now... looks like Ray was not pro-tanking and the rest of management were... but then why would the owner say that it's cause they were just not getting results? Then go ahead and trade our captain and one of our only bright spot (if coleman is indeed traded)

these moves, trading players with a year left on their contract...  plus playing Dom when it makes no sense to do so... looks like a team tanking on purpose.

I'm all for making the necessary move to put ourselves in the best possible situation to improve in the future though but it just so contradictory 

I think the only thing you can draw from this is no fvcker has any idea what they are actually trying to do in either the short or long term.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Except by the look of things now... looks like Ray was not pro-tanking and the rest of management were... but then why would the owner say that it's cause they were just not getting results?Then go ahead and trade our captain and one of our only bright spot (if coleman is indeed traded)

Why? Three words...season ticket renewals. It’s no accident they were trying to peddle a two year loyalty lock or that most of these sell off moves are going to happen after the initial wave of renewals.

Edited by NJDevs4978

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It's also encouraging cause whoever will be GM this summer will be handed a way way way better situation than what Shero got (and christ this is not a jab at Lou so don't jump on me and derail the thread over this)

The new GM will already have a very very young and talented core to build around, many assets with some value, top prospects projected to be NHL players, outside of Schneider no bad-contract to deal with or deadwood to get rid off, cap space flexibility. No hot UFAs that we're worried could leave soon. And won't have to deal with the awkward captain being a pretty bad player so you can't really bench him or anything. 

Plus we'll land another new top player or 2 at the draft. So we'll get a bit of that excitement again going in the season.

I think we should really use that vancouver pick and package it for a young d-man. I wouldn't mind overpaying a bit if it's what it take cause man our D corp is not looking good and no one on the market will help us or fit our timeline anyway. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I think we should really use that vancouver pick and package it for a young d-man. I wouldn't mind overpaying a bit if it's what it take cause man our D corp is not looking good and no one on the market will help us or fit our timeline anyway. 

With two other 1sts to draft with, this is probably not a bad idea. 

I think the current GM will be the “new” GM.  Ownership seems to be giving him considerable freedom to make significant moves.  I have a feeling they believe in Fitz.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think the current GM will be the “new” GM.  Ownership seems to be giving him considerable freedom to make significant moves.  I have a feeling they believe in Fitz.

I’d be all for it. At least there’d be some degree of stability, and not a completely new philosophy coming in. 

The big question is what does he do about Nas...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

With two other 1sts to draft with, this is probably not a bad idea. 

i'd have to do a bit of research but the perfect scenario here would be a team in win-now mode. With an injured player who would be ready to sacrifice a bit of their future for a real shot this year and one of our guys could be the missing piece.

I'm not saying this trade cause i dont think it would work but something like... a Dman in colorado going down... then we could package Vatanen + vancouver or ari's first + something else for like Byram. I wouldnt mind overpaying a bit to get a good NHL D semi-established prospect vs gambling having a first close to where we should draft one and gamble that he will pan out.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’d be all for it. At least there’d be some degree of stability, and not a completely new philosophy coming in. 

The big question is what does he do about Nas...

Yeah Fitz can’t try to sell me on Nas as more than an interim HC.  No way.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd have to do a bit of research but the perfect scenario here would be a team in win-now mode. With an injured player who would be ready to sacrifice a bit of their future for a real shot this year and one of our guys could be the missing piece.

I'm not saying this trade cause i dont think it would work but something like... a Dman in colorado going down... then we could package Vatanen + vancouver or ari's first + something else for like Byram. I wouldnt mind overpaying a bit to get a good NHL D semi-established prospect vs gambling having a first close to where we should draft one and gamble that he will pan out.

It’s not enough for Byram. You know this.