Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

On 2/16/2020 at 11:38 PM, SterioDesign said:

i'd have to do a bit of research but the perfect scenario here would be a team in win-now mode. With an injured player who would be ready to sacrifice a bit of their future for a real shot this year and one of our guys could be the missing piece.

I'm not saying this trade cause i dont think it would work but something like... a Dman in colorado going down... then we could package Vatanen + vancouver or ari's first + something else for like Byram. I wouldnt mind overpaying a bit to get a good NHL D semi-established prospect vs gambling having a first close to where we should draft one and gamble that he will pan out.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, Guadana said:

It’s not enough for Byram. You know this. 

Sooo i specifically said i didnt do research on team's situations... then said "I'm not saying this trade cause i dont think it would work but something like..." then made a vague trade proposal with the 3rd piece being "something else" (which could be a roster player, another pick, god knows)... just to give some direction... then i said i'd be willing to overpay...

and you tell me tha it's not enough for Byram... and that i should know this...

Let's let all this sink in for a seconde..... lol 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Sooo i specifically said i didnt do research on team's situations... then said "I'm not saying this trade cause i dont think it would work but something like..." then made a vague trade proposal with the 3rd piece being "something else" (which could be a roster player, another pick, god knows)... just to give some direction... then i said i'd be willing to overpay...

and you tell me tha it's not enough for Byram... and that i should know this...

Let's let all this sink in for a seconde..... lol 

You are overreacting on my words, man. Way too much. I’m more agree or wannabe agree for that trade can happening. But will not. And you and me know this. Especially if “something else” isn’t better than Vatanen or van/ari first. Sometimes conditional disagreement may be with notes of solidarity. It is understandable concept for you. Is it?

13 hours ago, Guadana said:

You are overreacting on my words, man. Way too much. I’m more agree or wannabe agree for that trade can happening. But will not. And you and me know this. Especially if “something else” isn’t better than Vatanen or van/ari first. Sometimes conditional disagreement may be with notes of solidarity. It is understandable concept for you. Is it?

I still don't think you fully understood what i really meant with that post lol And that's based on what "i believe" you replied... but to be fair, im not sure I fully understanding what you just tried to say haha

But wtv let's just see this as 2 non-english people trying to explain things to each others in english. That's a recipe for disaster lol

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I still don't think you fully understood what i really meant with that post lol And that's based on what "i believe" you replied... but to be fair, im not sure I fully understanding what you just tried to say haha

But wtv let's just see this as 2 non-english people trying to explain things to each others in english. That's a recipe for disaster lol

your english is much better than my.

I dont know what we must offer for mr Byram and i think its more about palms+our first(our-our first) for byram+something garbage than vats+non our 1st + magicly something else. And i still dont think Sakic will go for it.

Edited by Guadana

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

your english is much better than my.

I dont know what we must offer for mr Byram and i think its more about palms+our first(our-our first) for byram+something garbage than vats+non our 1st + magicly something else. And i still dont think Sakic will go for it.

What I essentially meant is that the perfect scenario for us would be to find a team (Team X) in a desperate situation because of injuries and in win-now mode. Willing to sacrifice a bit of their future to go-all out now. 

Colorado was an example of a team with injuries and in win-now mode that has some good D prospects. So I used that as an example to frame my reasoning. 

Here's something nice to dream about.  If we land another first round pick by trading Palmieri to any team that isn't Boston, it's possible that we will come out of the draft with the following four players even if we don't score one of the top four picks:

Jamie Drysdale (5th or 6th overall)
Marco Rossi (8th to 10th overall if Arizona fades quickly)
Jan Mysak (with Vancouver/Tampa's pick 18-20)
Jack Quinn (with pick acquired for Palmieri 18-22)

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Here's something nice to dream about.  If we land another first round pick by trading Palmieri to any team that isn't Boston, it's possible that we will come out of the draft with the following four players even if we don't score one of the top four picks:

Jamie Drysdale (5th or 6th overall)
Marco Rossi (8th to 10th overall if Arizona fades quickly)
Jan Mysak (with Vancouver/Tampa's pick 18-20)
Jack Quinn (with pick acquired for Palmieri 18-22)

That's a pretty exciting bunch of prospects. I'd be happy to get two of those four.

If they manage to get another first round pick do you think they'll try and package it to move up the draft?

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

That's a pretty exciting bunch of prospects. I'd be happy to get two of those four.

If they manage to get another first round pick do you think they'll try and package it to move up the draft?

It's hard to trade up at the top of the draft, and teams seem to be doing it less and less often.

Arizona is now out of the playoffs if they started today and they have more GPs than everyone in the league (They've played 5! more than Nashville who I still think is a better team). Really looking like they might miss the playoffs. The Hall trade will look much better if this ends up being a top 10 pick. Would be pretty funny if Shero gets fired for that trade and 1. the 1st is a top 10, 2. Merkley is a useful NHL forward, 3. Bahl pans out as a shutdown D...Might have to send Shero a fruit basket or something. 

On the Vancouver pick: I am not sure if I am rooting for them to make the playoffs and lose early so we get the 2020 pick or if I'd rather shoot for the moon and have them miss this year and then be terrible next year for an unprotected 2021 1st..I don't think Vancouver is really all THAT good, so could easily see them not making it this year and then being bad next year. Markstrom having a career year is really what is propping them up a bit this year.

And then there is my favorite scenario where both Ari/Van pics end up being 2021 unconditioned 1sts and both teams are terrible and we end up with the 2021 #1 and #2 overall on top of our own 2021 31st overall pick 😎. 

• Like 2

There are plenty of weirdo scenarios revolving around Ari and their playoff odds this year; the Devils may benefit substantially or lose out on potentially high picks depending on the west race and the lottery. Like...

Ari misses the playoffs, hits the lottery (Taylor Hall effect) and they keep the pick, moving the Devils' return to a 2021 unconditional first. It also means that Hall decides to resign with Ari because they add a key piece. The conditional 3rd sent to NJ becomes a 2nd because Hall resigns. However, Ari misses the playoffs again next year, and NJ is gifted a top three pick because Ari, once again, hits in the lottery (see Hall effect).

All of this means that Hall would have been traded for a top-3 first, a high-to-mid 2nd, plus the three prospects. Not too shabby, though admittedly unlikely.

I realize this is nonsense, but it does keep us Devils fans very interested in how things play out through the end of the regular season and the lottery balls pop up.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 8:39 PM, titans04 said:

Anybody else catch McKenzie tonight prior to the NY/CHI game saying he expects the Devils to give Cory another look down the stretch to see if he can be reincarnated. WTF that means. 

What else are they gonna say, that they’re 100% buying him out or trading him if we can somehow get 10 good games out of him and pawn him off on some sucker at 50% retained? Can’t exactly admit he’s a dead man walking when you still need to play him for various reasons (can’t put him on IR if he gets hurt in Bingo, you’re paying him anyway and the other guy sucks too).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

It also means that Hall decides to resign with Ari because they add a key piece. The conditional 3rd sent to NJ becomes a 2nd because Hall resigns.

I'm very confident in saying that there is absolutely no chance in hell that Hall re-signs with Arizona if they miss the playoffs this year. He wants to be on a winning team and there's no way he signs up for more years with a franchise that has a huge history of failure. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm very confident in saying that there is absolutely no chance in hell that Hall re-signs with Arizona if they miss the playoffs this year. He wants to be on a winning team and there's no way he signs up for more years with a franchise that has a huge history of failure. 

The minute that trade was made, my first instinct was that he can’t be happy that was where he was headed.

Pretty sure he will go free agent and figure out which of the multiple huge offers he would like to take. 

Truth be told, if I were Fitz (and technically I am), I’d still be making a call. We still have a sh!t ton of cap room. 

I’m not saying he’d answer the call lol. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Right. In fact, I don't think he'll resign even if they make the playoffs. But I wasn't talking about what I actually expect to happen, but what could happen in theory to maximize the return the Devils got for Hall. 

Just having a little fun with the whole "Taylor Hall always wins the lottery" thing. And, for the record, every player "wants to win", but we'll have to wait and see what Hall decides when someone throws a massive contract at him.

Edited by NLinfante
  • Like 1