Rebuild 2.0 Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

How much longer will Walsh be in school? 

When Ray drafted him he said Harvard will be the best 3 years of life, and that’s where he is now.  We’ll know if he’s going the Adam Fox route by May or June.  I’m sort of meh on him.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

When Ray drafted him he said Harvard will be the best 3 years of life, and that’s where he is now.  We’ll know if he’s going the Adam Fox route by May or June.  I’m sort of meh on him.

Any specific reason why? I see he has 12 points in 10 GP so far this season, and last year he had 31 in 33 GP. Comparable to Quinn Hughes’ final year in college from a production standpoint. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Any specific reason why? I see he has 12 points in 10 GP so far this season, and last year he had 31 in 33 GP. Comparable to Quinn Hughes’ final year in college from a production standpoint. 

He never made the WJC team and Harvard's competition is not the best in the NCAA. 

18 minutes ago, JohnnyP. said:

Gonna trade Vats because he has value and is a UFA. 

Uggh Reality is Devils would be better off if they replaced every Defensemen they've had in the NHL this season. 

Ordinarily, Vats is a guy who can play on my team any day, but we have two defenseman who are similar to him in Smith and Butcher.  And all you need to do is look at the their last draft and who they targeted in the Hall trade to see that they hope to have a defense in the future that's built more like St. Louis and Boston where it's ok to have one or two smaller puck carrying types, but you want more guys who can handle themselves in their own end even if they don't put up a ton of points. 

I keep harping on this, but all the savvy moves on paper don't mean anything if the coaches don't know what they're doing.  Ray said no one of the team could complete a five foot pass.  Pretty much all of them had no problem doing that before November of 2018.  So I say get coaches who we know are at least capable of getting their players to do that at the NHL level.

So get what we can for Vats.  It should be something that helps in the long run one way or the other.

Edited by Daniel

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Ordinarily, Vats is a guy who can play on my team any day, but we have two defenseman who are similar to him in Smith and Butcher.  And all you need to do is look at the their last draft and who they targeted in the Hall trade to see that they hope to have a defense in the future that's built more like St. Louis and Boston where it's ok to have one or two smaller puck carrying types, but you want more guys who can handle themselves in their own end even if they don't put up a ton of points. 

I keep harping on this, but all the savvy moves on paper don't mean anything if the coaches don't know what they're doing.  Ray said no one of the team could complete a five foot pass.  Pretty much all of them had no problem doing that before November of 2018.  So I say get coaches who we know are at least capable of getting their players to do that at the NHL level.

So get what we can for Vats.  It should be something that helps in the long run one way or the other.

Agreed. 

Who is next coach? 

1 minute ago, JohnnyP. said:

Agreed. 

Who is next coach? 

I don't know, but if it were my choice to make, I want someone with NHL head coaching experience who has shown that he can win games if he has a talented roster.  I know a lot of people are talking about that coach from Sweden, who might be a good idea if this were 2015 again.  It's just not a chance that Shero can afford to take.  He's gone and never getting a GM job again if this doesn't turn around quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I don't know, but if it were my choice to make, I want someone with NHL head coaching experience who has shown that he can win games if he has a talented roster.  I know a lot of people are talking about that coach from Sweden, who might be a good idea if this were 2015 again.  It's just not a chance that Shero can afford to take.  He's gone and never getting a GM job again if this doesn't turn around quickly.

Agree with experienced. I'd also like to add that it be a former NHL player. (Not necessarily an ex-Devil) -- I'd like to see Devs young core relate to someone who played in the league. Someone who was successful in the NHL. Hell someone they can youtube

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think Shero would get another GM job fairly easily if let go here. He seems like a guy who builds and not burns bridges and those guys can tend to float around forever. He hasn't made any trades that warrant being banished to broadcasting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

Laviolette or Cooper. One or both of them could be looking for work in the offseason. They’d vault to the top of my list should they become available.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Laviolette or Cooper. One or both of them could be looking for work in the offseason. They’d vault to the top of my list should they become available.

I’d be absolutely ecstatic to get Laviolette. How many coaches have ever taken 3 different teams to a Cup finals? 

I doubt he’s fired, but Nashville has fired another great coach in Trotz.

Shero would probably be all over it too with him being American...

Edited by Nicomo

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

The whole rebuild 2.0 is dumb cause we're still in the the same rebuild, it never ended. 

Plus every team is constantly rebuilding/re-tooling, that's how it works

So was Ray lying when he said the Devils were "back in business" right before the season started, or is he lying now?  Because it's one or the other.

Edited by Daniel

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So was Ray lying when he said the Devils were "back in business" right before the season started, or is he lying now?  Because it's one or the other.

No it's not one or the other. My god you're dense. He said with the acquisitions he made that he THOUGHT they were back in business. As in somewhat competitive, as we ALL thought too. But turns out it didnt pan out. If you take this as black and white as saying they were "good to go and done with the rebuild" that's totally on you. There's no lying there. We all knew it would depend on how Schneider would play. On if Subban was really going down... If Gusev could adjust etc etc Almost none of those moves panned out. 

What's so damn hard to understand about moves that doesnt pan out? 

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

No it's not one or the other. My god you're dense. He said with the acquisitions he made that he THOUGHT they were back in business. As in somewhat competitive, as we ALL thought too. But turns out it didnt pan out. If you take this as black and white as saying they were "good to go and done with the rebuild" that's totally on you. There's no lying there. We all knew it would depend on how Schneider would play. On if Subban was really going down... If Gusev could adjust etc etc Almost none of those moves panned out. 

What's so damn hard to understand about moves that doesnt pan out? 

So Ray Shero went into this season with a team that he thought could compete and compete for the long-term.  Now it's December, the team is second to last in the entire league, he just traded Taylor Hall for literally nothing that will help the team get better this season, is almost certainly getting ready to sell off everyone on an expiring contract and perhaps others, he fired the coach a few weeks ago, but the interim is someone who was just as responsible for how poorly the team has been playing for the past season and a half.  But you actually believe "it's the same rebuild."

Ray Shero depends on blockheads like you for his livelihood. 

22 hours ago, Daniel said:

So here's a possibility for our defense for the longish term post Hall trade. 

Edmundson  Subban
Ty Smith        Severson
Bahl                Dylan Samberg

Samberg has been making noise that he'll pull an Adam Fox and he's friends with Joey Anderson.  He also fits that Brandon Carlo mold that the Devils seemed very interested in copying in this past year's draft.

No doubt the current D is a mess and we should of learned to tap the brakes on Smith when he didn't make the team this year.  Who knows what he's gonna be and when it will happen.  The paper game of planning out the D like this includes some magic beans for sure.  Basically projecting who might come here because of Joey Anderson??  Severson is who he is which isn't very good and PK needs a time machine.