Player Grades at the 1/3 Mark

titans04

Interested to see what you guys think. Standard A-F +/- grading.

Boqvist

Coleman

Hayden

Hischier

Huges

Rooney

Zacha

Seney

Bratt

Gusev

Hall

Wood

Palmieri

Simmonds

Butcher

Carrick

Greene

Mueller

Severson

Subban

Tennyson

Vatanen

White TBD

Blackwood

Domingue

Schneider

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don’t think there are any A’s. Vats is the best at B+. 

ill give Hughes a B-, severson a B, Gusev a B-, Boqvist a B-, and the rest I choose not to grade because I love them all.

except Hynes. Hynes gets a fvcking F- and should get a noose. 

I’d give Coleman the highest grade on the team. Other than the occasional penalty he takes, you literally can’t ask for much more out of the guy. 

• Like 4

I give "C's) because it's all we can expect. (inc=incomplete). Domingue should go down. He's brutal. I think Boquist/Gusev are learning the ropes.(they get a bye)  

Boqvist- D (inc)  Coleman- A  Hayden- D  Hischier-  C     Hughes- C (inc)    Rooney- C  Zacha-  C   Bratt- C    Gusev B    Hall-  C    Wood- D   Palmieri-A

Simmonds-B  Butcher-D   Greene-  D    Mueller-D   Severson-C    Subban-D   Tennyson- D     Vatanen-B+    Zajac-A   Blackwood- C   Domingue-F     Schneider-F

43 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Coleman a solid B, Vats a solid B, Hughes a B- (with his age in mind). 

D to F for every other player on the roster for various reasons.

This piece of s*** team just isn't worth the effort to go through player-by-player my opinion.

I can’t be bothered to go through each player either, but a D/F for Nico is way harsh, imo. He has the exact same amount of points as Coleman, but in 4 less GP. 

Palms doesn’t deserve such a low grade either. His goal production is right on track to where it always is for a 25-30 season. 

I'm sure Zajac loves living in NJ, but he has to endure another horse sh>t season. Do you think Ray should/will ask if he wanted to be traded to a contender? He does have another year on his current contract. 

2 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm sure Zajac loves living in NJ, but he has to endure another horse sh>t season. Do you think Ray should/will ask if he wanted to be traded to a contender? He does have another year on his current contract. 

He’d be a nice piece for a contender to pick up. Doubt he wants to move his family though. Wouldn’t mind seeing him retire a Devil either. 

Boqvist - B- (He's been good when he's been in the lineup, hopefully here's there to stay now with Hynes gone)

Coleman - A (I don't know what more you could ask from this guy, he's a gamer)

Hayden - C- (Meh, what I expected)

Hischier - B- (Been relatively fine, but I wanted a bigger step this year. Still time for him to do that)

Hughes - B (After the first 2 or 3 weeks, I think he's been consistently one of our best players every night. He's special.)

Rooney - C- (Meh)

Zacha - C+ (He cooled after what looked like a really nice start, teetered on giving him a B-)

Zajac - C+ (He's been fine, his line has been relatively stable all season but you'd like a little more production)

Seney - C (Fine)

Bratt - B (I think he's been awesome, there's no reason why this guy should have ever been out of the lineup)

Gusev - B (He's been one of our best players the past month, you can tell this guy just need time to adapt to NA)

Hall - B (Production has been fine, but his advanced metrics are atrocious, he's been the worst on the team for both GAR and WAR metrics, he's been bad in that regard)

Wood - C (Fine for what I expect at this point)

Palmieri - B (Still scores goals, just in line with what I expect)

Simmonds - B (Dude has been snakebitten for much of the season, but he's elevated every line he's been put on, think he's been real good)

Butcher - C- (Almost dropped into the D range, he's been pretty disappointing but has had to lug around some real sh!t recently on his pair)

Carrick - C (Has barely played)

Greene - C+ (He's been fine, actually a bit above my expectations)

Mueller - F (Fire him into the sun, he sucks)

Severson - C- (Very disappointing, he needs to be better)

Subban - C (Advanced numbers have been good and he's had some really good games, but he was expected to be our top PP QB and has had some real bone headed turnovers/pinches)

Tennyson - F (Fvck no)

Vatanen - B+ (He's been super steady and has stabilized our top PP a bit, hope we can find a way to extend him)

Blackwood - C+ (He's had some real rough games but he's been solid enough I think)

Domingue - D- (Pretty fvcking bad, was solid against Detroit and that's it)

Schneider - F (This is so depressing)

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

Boqvist - B-

Coleman - A

Hayden - F

Hischier - B-

Hughes - B

Rooney - D-

Zacha - C+

Zajac - B

Seney - INC

Bratt - C+

Gusev - B

Hall - B-

Wood - D

Palmieri - B

Simmonds - C

Butcher - C-

Carrick - INC

Greene - C

Mueller - F

Severson - C-

Subban - C-

Tennyson - C

Vatanen - B

Blackwood -C+

Domingue - D

Schneider - F

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t be bothered to go through each player either, but a D/F for Nico is way harsh, imo. He has the exact same amount of points as Coleman, but in 4 less GP. 

Palms doesn’t deserve such a low grade either. His goal production is right on track to where it always is for a 25-30 season. 

I guess I'm grading relative to my expectations.

With Nico I was really hoping for a breakout season offensively. And I don't think that's an unfair expectation - he's a damn first overall pick. So.. as far as that goes, it's gotta be a D from me.

Palms - fair. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I guess I'm grading relative to my expectations.

With Nico I was really hoping for a breakout season offensively. And I don't think that's an unfair expectation - he's a damn first overall pick. So.. as far as that goes, it's gotta be a D from me.

Palms - fair. 

Expectations are one thing, but he is not playing D level hockey, he’s just not. But whatever they’re your grades. 

On 12/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Everyone gets a D for dogsh!t, but I'm grading on the curve for having an incompetent coaching staff so they all end up with Bs. Grats bois.

great comment

On 12/7/2019 at 7:25 PM, Crisis said:

Jack Hughes and Nikita Okhotyuk with their group of  NJ Devils as they constructed a hole for a miniature golf course at the leadership event in the Prudential Center for the team’s young prospects participating in Development Camp. The day included working with some young patients from RWJ Barnabus on catching golf balls as a team and building a miniature golf course with boxes and cans of non-perishable food.

followed by an amazing reply

good work boys

On 12/7/2019 at 10:01 PM, Nicomo said:

I’d give Coleman the highest grade on the team. Other than the occasional penalty he takes, you literally can’t ask for much more out of the guy. 

I've told my brother many times this season, I think Coleman will escape this pretty crappy era of Devils hockey as one of the fan favorites or faces of the team we can fondly look back on in future years. In a decade where there aren't too many positives that come to mind, he sticks out. Even now, with 16 points, I still think he's underrated by most of the fanbase; we still see him as this scrappy grit player, but there he is, 3rd in points, and 2nd in goals, with 3 more goals than Taylor "About to Make $11+ Million/Year" Hall, many times in big moments..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I've told my brother many times this season, I think Coleman will escape this pretty crappy era of Devils hockey as one of the fan favorites or faces of the team we can fondly look back on in future years. In a decade where there aren't too many positives that come to mind, he sticks out. Even now, with 16 points, I still think he's underrated by most of the fanbase; we still see him as this scrappy grit player, but there he is, 3rd in points, and 2nd in goals, with 3 more goals than Taylor "About to Make $11+ Million/Year" Hall, many times in big moments..

He’s a blast to watch, that’s for sure. He’s scored some of the nicest highlight reel goals in Devils history (or at least the 20 years I’ve been watching them).

Doesn’t hurt that he’s a fun guy to root for all around either. The Texas attitude, the pickle juice, the gorgeous wife, etc. It’s no wonder he’s a fan favorite. 

Always cool to see a guy find success at his age too. He was like 25 his first season in the NHL. 

Boqvist - C+

Coleman - A-

Hayden - F

Hischier - C-

Hughes - C+

Rooney - F+

Zacha - C-

Zajac - C

Seney -  no thanks

Bratt - C+

Gusev - B-

Hall - C+

Wood - D-

Palmieri - B

Simmonds - C

Butcher - C-

Carrick -  meh

Greene - C+

Mueller - F

Severson - C-

Subban - D

Tennyson - D

Vatanen - B+

Blackwood -C

Domingue - D

Schneider - F-

SUM of the parts D

Edited by titans04

I stayed out of this thread until now because I didn't really have the desire or want to put in the effort to grade this team, but considering it seems all but a certainty that the rest of this season is going to be (or should be) used as training and development for next year, I think it's important to grade each player and assess whether or not they're going to be part of the future, or if they need to go.

With that said, here are my thoughts on each player, and I've bolded the guys that I think or would like to be here in 3 years:

Boqvist - B-.  Guy is very much a work in progress and the sample size is too small, but he's scored in the shootout and notched a couple points in games.  If put in the right role and situation, I think he's shown potential.

Coleman - A-.  Other than the fact that he isn't an everyday scorer, you really can't ask for much more from this guy.  Kills penalties, scores some highlight reel guys, and at the end of the day always gives one hundred percent.  In a Fortune 500 company, Coleman is the blue collar worker who has put in 80 hours a week and gets recognized and promoted for his hard work.

Hayden - D.  I can't give him an F because my expectations weren't that high to begin with, but he really just hasn't shown anything, even if the sample size has been small.

Hischier - C.  It doesn't look like it happened this year, so next year I think it has to be the year that Nico starts contributing consistently.  He's great on the PK, and his faceoff ability is getting there, but as a #1 pick he needs to be counted on more for his offensive production than he's currently delivering.  

Hughes - C+.  Can't fault him much considering his age and how bad the team is around him, but I was hoping he would be able to create more space for himself without turning the puck over as much, and also hoping he would have been able to be very productive in the shootout when there's no one in his way.

Rooney - F.  He would get a D like Hayden and Seney except he's had more time and opportunities, and done next to nothing with it.  I just don't see what he brings to the table.  He reminds me of a Farnham type - has some heart, and toughness, but little ability, or potential.  Essentially, just a warm body out there.

Zacha - B.  I've been impressed with the role Zacha has stepped into this year, i.e. more minutes, situations, and essentially the #3 C over Zajac, and even at times #2 C, i.e. when Nico is out/hurt.  He kills penalties well and despite pressure on him and coaches hindering him, he seems to remain positive and has a good attitude.  I think he can be a good role player and a Zajac replacement for when #19 retires or goes elsewhere.

Zajac - C.  He is who he's always been - a stable guy on the PK, good teammate, and occasional contributor.  Production seems to have gone down, as well as faceoff capabilities.  Ideally he retires a Devil, but if he has to or wants to go elsewhere, it's understandable.  

Seney - D. Same grade as Hayden for the same reasons.

Bratt - D+.  Really expected some growth and flash from Bratt this year as he's been given more minutes and opportunities, and it just hasn't happened.  Of all the guys on the team, I think he and Hughes are the ones who suffer the most due to our coaching staff.  The poor, or non-existent system and style of play that we employ isn't conducive to the type of player they are - guys who should be excelling with their speed and creativity.  If they don't have the puck they're invisible out there.

Gusev - B-.  Gusev gets a slight pass because the speed and size of the game is new/different to him. He's scored some goals here and there and is also great in the shootout, so I believe his upside is still fairly high.

Hall - B-.  Overall, when you consider the full body of work so far this season, Hall would have collectively what you'd consider to be an average season and a 'C' grade, because his production has been pretty good, but his finish has been sub-par.  He gets some points for maintaining a near point per game average on a putrid team, and despite all of the negativity around the team at the moment, as well as the pressure of his impending contract situation and potential trade possibilities, he's handled it all fairly well, a small issue with the fans notwithstanding.  If the guy was able to convert a breakaway or two here or there, or score in the shootout, we'd probably have a couple more wins, and be more irritated with the other players on our team rather than putting a lot of it on him as our supposed-to-be star player.

Wood - D+. Fresh off a new contract, expectations are going to be high, and Wood hasn't really met them.  Last year his speed was noticeable when Hall was hurt and we didn't have Hughes yet.  This year, the only thing noticeable are his penalties and his frequent falling down/crashing into the net.

Palmieri - B+.  He doesn't get an A just because his production doesn't warrant an A, but on a team of underachievers he's right where he should be - a consistent producer who gives his all, and is a good teammate.  

Simmonds - C-.  Didn't really have huge expectations for him, but the fact that he was a 30 goal scorer had me somewhat hopeful that might he could be a nice surprise factor in terms of production, since he wasn't/shouldn't have been relied on to play a top 6 role (guys like Hall/Nico/Palms/Gusev/Hughes should have been shuddering the goal scoring load).  His physical presence has been about what you'd expect, and we need that, so he's still valuable.  

Butcher - D+.  I'm trying not to be harsh here, but I really thought Butcher would excel more, in one more or areas, and I just don't think he has, in any area.  He doesn't really contribute to the PP the way we thought he could, he's not particularly fast, and he's not a stalwart on his own zone either.  The only real positive is that he's durable and healthy, but the fact that he doesn't excel at anything in particular makes me come to the disappointing conclusion that he's best suited as a 3rd pairing d-man, and perhaps, PP2 duties.

Carrick -  C-.  Didn't really have any expectations of him cracking the lineup, but he loses some points for injury and lack of durability.

Greene - C-.  He's made some mistakes as he's continued to do the last few years, and also loses some points for not really being the Captain I want him to be.  He's a good teammate though and a lifelong Devil, so we're really just biding time until he eventually retires and we can thank him for years of service and move on. 

Mueller - D+.  Can't give him an F because he's in and out of the lineup, but much like Butcher, he doesn't seem to do anything in particular all that well.

Severson - C-. He's young and inexpensive, and doesn't generally commit many penalties and turnovers.  I'd like to see him be a bit more responsible in his own end, and perhaps even contribute more offensively, but there are other d-men on this team that are worse than he is, and I think he's fine as a second-pair type guy.

Subban - C.  Subban brought with him some hopes of a PP impact as well as some defensive responsibility.  So far, neither one has really come to fruition, but it's hard to say if that's really all his fault when he's not exactly being utilized correctly, and the entire team sucks as a whole. The jury is out on whether or not this acquisition will have worked to our favor, but being only one-third of the way through his first of three seasons, I can't come down on him too hard. Bonus points for his attitude and positive spirit, minus points for having a pretty big contract, and you're left with an average grade of 'C'.

Tennyson - C-.  Nothing terribly good or bad - makes mistakes that you figure he might given his age and lack of experience.  Ceiling doesn't seem too high for him. 

Vatanen - B+.  I wish he'd contribute more on the PP and was a little more sound defensively, but he's pretty responsible in his own zone and is probably our best all-around d-man at the moment.  He's not flashy, but gets bonus points for logging a ton of minutes.

Blackwood -B. It's hard to imagine any goalie in this league succeeding or having good numbers on this team.  They're just hung out to dry multiple times a game by the guys in front of them.  Blackwood has looked like he's pretty solid fundamentally, and because he's still young, it would seem he has plenty of time to continue to improve.  He gets bonus points for having thick skin and a good attitude - if I were him I'd loathe the thought of suiting up and having to defend our goal on any given night.

Domingue - D.  In a short sample so far, he's not impressed at all.  Not the worst goaltending we've seen, because that's reserved for the next guy, but it's been fairly close, especially for purely back-up duties.

Schneider - F.  It's unfortunate, but the guy has just been all around bad - a continuation of last year.  It seems his career is probably done, and that's probably best for him, and the team.

I continue to not understand what people see in Pavel Zacha. He’s been better than Nico?? C’mon now...

guy has 2 goals. TWO in 27 GP. 

just like how we’re holding Nico accountable and expect more offense the same needs to go for Zacha. He was drafted to be a power forward that can score goals. And he doesn’t. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I continue to not understand what people see in Pavel Zacha. He’s been better than Nico?? C’mon now...

just like how we’re holding Nico accountable and expect more offense the same needs to go for Zacha. He was drafted to be a power forward that can score goals. And he doesn’t. 

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I've been a big advocate of Zacha the last couple of seasons but I haven't been impressed with him this season. I can't decide if he's reached his level or if it's because the team has just sucked all round. I guess we'll see when a new coach comes in.

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I've been a big advocate of Zacha the last couple of seasons but I haven't been impressed with him this season. I can't decide if he's reached his level or if it's because the team has just sucked all round. I guess we'll see when a new coach comes in.

It seemed like he was taking a step forward last season scoring double digit goals, but like you, I’ve not been impressed with him one bit so far this year. For a guy that’s 6’3” 210 with the offensive skill he has he really should be contributing more. We can only keep touting his amazing penalty killing for so long. I see a lot of comparisons to Zajac, but Zajac at his best was a 20 goal 60 point player. I don’t see that in the cards for Zacha at this point. 

• Like 2