GDT: Devils @ Stars

Aznjsn

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Really unfortunate we have to look forward to the draft again so soon... And the chances of NJ winning again are microscopic so there is a better chance they get pushed down. 

That’s the gambler’s fallacy. 

The Devils should be one of the three worst teams in the league without breaking a sweat.  It looks to me like there truly are two guys who should be legitimate immediate impact players and future superstars in Lafrennier and Byfield, so the first two picks are like number one picks in most years.   Our odds at getting one of those picks is like 30 percent regardless of how many lotteries we’ve won in the past.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Really unfortunate we have to look forward to the draft again so soon... And the chances of NJ winning again are microscopic so there is a better chance they get pushed down. 

That's why I'm keeping a close eye on Raymond. He's ranked 3rd or 4th on most scouting lists, and he's a realistic reach considering the lottery. 

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

The Devils should be one of the three worst teams in the league without breaking a sweat.  It looks to me like there truly are two guys who should be legitimate immediate impact players and future superstars in Lafrennier and Byfield, so the first two picks are like number one picks in most years.   Our odds at getting one of those picks is like 30 percent regardless of how many lotteries we’ve won in the past.

Lafrennier and Byfield would be happy with either one, both have good size and skill, winger or center.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Another year of being surrounded by both losing and loser veterans for our young guys.

I mean this is horrendous. Our young guys got to play maybe three weeks of meaningful hockey this year, if that. 

Hard not to get frustrated here with Shero.

It's impossible not to get frustrated with the situation in general. 

As far as Shero goes, his gambles not only didn't pay off...they outright blew up, worst-case-scenario style.  Schneider's game has once again fully deserted him, Mr. Lindsey has been a complete disaster, and Shero clearly stuck with Hynes too long.  And it now looks like Nas can do plenty more harm if he's allowed to remain here as the interim for much longer. 

I can understand not wanting to buy out Schneider, as it would've been six years in dead money, and he did play well down the stretch last season...it wasn't farfetched to think a fully healthy Schneider could be solid this year.  I understand acquiring Mr. Lindsey given the price and the cap space, but I still wonder if Shero did enough homework on that one.  There was obviously something between Shero and Hynes that made it hard for Shero to can him, but at the same time, I'm not sure why it took Ray SO many "rock bottom" kinds of games before finally showing damned mercy.

And I was OK with Nas initially strictly due to the "interim" status, but I'm in full agreement with CD#9...get him and the rest of this staff the fvck out of here.  They all gotta go.  They can't be allowed to stick around for the rest of this year, no fvcking way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's impossible not to get frustrated with the situation in general. 

As far as Shero goes, his gambles not only didn't pay off...they outright blew up, worst-case-scenario style.  Schneider's game has once again fully deserted him, Mr. Lindsey has been a complete disaster, and Shero clearly stuck with Hynes too long.  And it now looks like Nas can do plenty more harm if he's allowed to remain here as the interim for much longer. 

I can understand not wanting to buy out Schneider, as it would've been six years in dead money, and he did play well down the stretch last season...it wasn't farfetched to think a fully healthy Schneider could be solid this year.  I understand acquiring Mr. Lindsey given the price and the cap space, but I still wonder if Shero did enough homework on that one.  There was obviously something between Shero and Hynes that made it hard for Shero to can him, but at the same time, I'm not sure why it took Ray SO many "rock bottom" kinds of games before finally showing damned mercy.

And I was OK with Nas initially strictly due to the "interim" status, but I'm in full agreement with CD#9...get him and the rest of this staff the fvck out of here.  They all gotta go.  They can't be allowed to stick around for the rest of this year, no fvcking way. 

More and more I am thinking the PK move was made either mostly or entirely with the goal of trying to keep Hall around.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

More and more I am thinking the PK move was made either mostly or entirely with the goal of trying to keep Hall around.

I thought we already knew this. No way Ray deals future assets for a win now player unless he's trying to expedite. The only reason to push the timeline up was Hall's situation. 

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yes, mathematically we still have one of the best chances, but the odds of the same team winning the lottery 3/4 years FEELS microscopically small. 

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I thought we already knew this. No way Ray deals future assets for a win now player unless he's trying to expedite. The only reason to push the timeline up was Hall's situation. 

We did, but keeping Hall is not worth 3 years of a D-man making $9M per for performances like last night (as well as most of the season).

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

We did, but keeping Hall is not worth 3 years of a D-man making $9M per for performances like last night (as well as most of the season).

What's it matter how much he makes.  It isn't your money and the Devils aren't close to the cap.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Do you think he is worth what he is earning?  Do you think he is playing well?

Like everyone else, I don't, but I don't think that matters right now.  Do you think Simmonds is worth 5m? No, you don't.  And that isn't blowing up the cap either, so I don't see why it's important to always bring up.

And I don't mean to single you out personally.  I hear it through all of the Devils communities and it annoys me.

12 minutes ago, Crisis said:

What's it matter how much he makes.  It isn't your money and the Devils aren't close to the cap.

Correct. 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Do you think he is worth what he is earning?  Do you think he is playing well?

Also correct.

4 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Like everyone else, I don't, but I don't think that matters right now.  Do you think Simmonds is worth 5m? No, you don't.  And that isn't blowing up the cap either, so I don't see why it's important to always bring up.

And I don't mean to single you out personally.  I hear it through all of the Devils communities and it annoys me.

Still correct. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea and the only reason we have Simmonds is bc of P.K.. but honestly I wish we had the Simmonds we used to play against on the Flyers and not this bored version of an agitator. We need those dirty goals up front, but I appreciate his willingness to stick up for his teammates.

I’d love to see how this team would perform under someone with actual head coaching experience, let alone coaching at the NHL level experience.

hell I’d beg Montgomery at this point to coach this train wreck, provided he didn’t punch a puppy in the face

Nasradidne, interim or not, was a stupid move that we all saw coming. Zero head coaching experience at any level, and yet Ray went to the Pitt well again. Shockingly (not) the new coach bump lasted one game, maybe two of you count the Nashville game, but to see such a pathetic effort last night (granted my first one watching with the “new” coach) warrants literally every coach on the staff to be fired.

Ray’s clock should be ticking, as this team, regardless how how bad they were when we got here, is pathetic. 4+ years for those types of results and efforts? Give me a break.

• Like 1

If your GM pays a guy as a top three D man in the league for three years I don't care if it's monopoly money it's an indication he made a brutal miscalculation. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you piss it away. Comparing the Simmonds and PK deals is apples to oranges. 

15 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I hear you on this...I agree fully that PK's high AAV hit won't be an issue here even if he plays all of his remaining three seasons here (including this one)...it just sucks that we won't be able to pull a Nashville and get him out of here before it's too late.  Devils basically got themselves a very expensive mascot who's now untradeable.  At least Nashville was able to shed the money and get some stuff back.  Devils would probably to move his contract for another lousy one if Shero decides this wasn't meant to be.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If we made the playoffs and kept Hall it totally would have been worth it. Also, his cap this year is moot since we don't need the space anyway so in reality it is only 2 years of PK in exchange for the playoffs, Hall, and potentially a much better PK performance assuming we made the playoffs anyway. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wish they could move Subban but we'd probably have to eat a large portion of his salary for a team to take him on. It's so obvious he's either not interested in playing to his full ability or can't.  Either way the guy is a golden albatross around this team's neck and we already have a few of those (i.e. Schneider,  Zajac...). 

13 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I wish they could move Subban but we'd probably have to eat a large portion of his salary for a team to take him on. It's so obvious he's either not interested in playing to his full ability or can't.  Either way the guy is a golden albatross around this team's neck and we already have a few of those (i.e. Schneider,  Zajac...). 

Several more have made the point already, but how are these contracts an albatross? We aren't going to be a cap team and we clearly won't be paying Hall or anyone else anytime soon

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If we made the playoffs and kept Hall it totally would have been worth it. Also, his cap this year is moot since we don't need the space anyway so in reality it is only 2 years of PK in exchange for the playoffs, Hall, and potentially a much better PK performance assuming we made the playoffs anyway. 

But we are not making the playoffs with Hall and Subban.  No use going into hypotheticals at this point.

Subban has been a complete disaster of a trade.  There is no other way to slice it.  The fact that Nashville was so willing to give him up for seemingly pennies on the dollar shows that they knew something Shero didn't know or Shero just didn't do his homework.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

But we are not making the playoffs with Hall and Subban.  No use going into hypotheticals at this point.

Subban has been a complete disaster of a trade.  There is no other way to slice it.  The fact that Nashville was so willing to give him up for seemingly pennies on the dollar shows that they knew something Shero didn't know or Shero just didn't do his homework.

Nashville was deep on defense and wanted to throw money at Duchesne. I don't think Ray dug any deeper than that and assumed Subbans numbers were due to his injuries