New head coach required ASAP

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I’m ok with all of this squad. Everyone show potential and flashes here and there, but every goddam one didn’t grow in own game. Butcher, Bratt, Nico, Pavel, Palms, all players except Blake show same game and same numbers as they showed 2-3 years ago or even worse. If someone grow and developed and someone not, but hell NO! Everyone don’t develop. All they need is a new complete coaching stuff. Even in AHL. Bad news that it’s too late for Hall - one of the best players in franchise history in his prime years. 

And i think shero need to hire new psichologist for players. And writers. Hope shero strategy is in tanking and trading for good d-prospect. I’m truly believe that pk can play much better if someone can tell him and other where they should be in different situations, but in today reality only Vatanen looks like top-4 d-man.

babcock was a good system teacher-coach, but with all softy millionaires stories about how painly was being coached by babs I don’t see that shero will go in this way of reputation risks. 

Edited by Guadana

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

I’m ok with all of this squad. Everyone show potential and flashes here and there, but every goddam one didn’t grow in own game. Butcher, Bratt, Nico, Pavel, Palms, all players except Blake show same game and same numbers as they showed 2-3 years ago or even worse. If someone grow and developed and someone not, but hell NO! Everyone don’t develop. All they need is a new complete coaching stuff. Even in AHL. Bad news that it’s too late for Hall - one of the best players in franchise history in his prime years. 

And i think shero need to hire new psichologist for players. And writers. Hope shero strategy is in tanking and trading for good d-prospect. I’m truly believe that pk can play much better if someone can tell him and other where they should be in different situations, but in today reality only Vatanen looks like top-4 d-man.

babcock was a good system teacher-coach, but with all softy millionaires stories about how painly was being coached by babs I don’t see that shero will go in this way of reputation risks. 

In Palms' case, he is what he is:  usually streaky within seasons, but consistent from season to season...his 82-game paces since he's been here:

2015-16:  30 G, 27 A

2016-17:  26 G, 27 A (in 80 GP...this was so close to 82 GP that I didn't bother to extrapolate it to 82 GP)

2017-18:  32 G, 26 A

2018-19:  30 G, 25 A

2019-20:  30 G, 22 A (through 30 GP)

For his Devils career, he's at 29.49 G and 26.24 A per 82 GP.  No real up or down years skewering that sample one way or the other.  Basically if you're expecting Palms to suddenly become much better than he is now, you're likely to be disappointed.  Take your 30 G/56 Point pace you're likely to get from Palms and be happy with it.  I don't think a new coach will necessarily get more out of him.

As for the rest...yeah, curious to see what a real coach can do with them.   

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In Palms' case, he is what he is:  usually streaky within seasons, but consistent from season to season...his 82-game paces since he's been here:

2016-17:  26 G, 27 A (in 80 GP...this was so close to 82 GP that I didn't bother to extrapolate it to 82 GP)

For his Devils career, he's at 29.49 G and 26.24 A per 82 GP.  No real up or down years skewering that sample one way or the other.  Basically if you're expecting Palms to suddenly become much better than he is now, you're likely to be disappointed.  Take your 30 G/56 Point pace you're likely to get from Palms and be happy with it.  I don't think a new coach will necessarily get more out of him.

How anyone could possibly be upset with Palmeiri, given what he makes, and his attitude, is beyond me.  As you pointed out, the guy is remarkably consistent from season to season.  Anyone who scoffs at 50-60 points a year is a fool.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How anyone could possibly be upset with Palmeiri, given what he makes, and his attitude, is beyond me.  As you pointed out, the guy is remarkably consistent from season to season.  Anyone who scoffs at 50-60 points a year is a fool.

He's been a whipping boy here from time to time (MB3 in particular seems to get on him more than most...whenever Palms is in one of his cold streaks, suddenly he's just collecting paychecks and no longer giving a damn), but he's not the only player to have climbed into that barrel somewhat unfairly.  The fact that he seems to fall down a lot makes him an easy target sometimes as well.

Hopefully, should he stay here beyond his current deal (he goes UFA after next season...he won't be as cost-effective then, but the Devils will have enough cap room to overpay him a little), in time he'll be more of a second-line player.  He's been a serviceable first-liner with Hall and Hischier, but he's really not an ideal first-liner.  Still a useful player, and at least he's a guy who you know will find the net at some point.  Yeah, he can have a cold spell where he'll only put up 2-3 goals in a 15-game stretch.  But then he'll pop in 12 over his next 20 or so.  He'll only let you down if you're expecting more out of him than you really should. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I'd be okay bringing back Deboer *Runs and hides from comments*

Go away, new guy! ::checks your profile:: oh sh!t you’ve been around since before I initially joined... uhhhhh.... go away, lurker! (Yeah that one works better!)

In all seriousness, though, and after sleeping on it, what would bother me about PDB, aside from my own dislike of him, is he’s another player’s coach with just as soft of an approach as DBA. I also didn’t like how he developed younger guys. Could things have changed? Maybe, but I doubt he has.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's been a whipping boy here from time to time (MB3 in particular seems to get on him more than most...whenever Palms is in one of his cold streaks, suddenly he's just collecting paychecks and no longer giving a damn), but he's not the only player to have climbed into that barrel somewhat unfairly.  The fact that he seems to fall down a lot makes him an easy target sometimes as well.

Hopefully, should he stay here beyond his current deal (he goes UFA after next season...he won't be as cost-effective then, but the Devils will have enough cap room to overpay him a little), in time he'll be more of a second-line player.  He's been a serviceable first-liner with Hall and Hischier, but he's really not an ideal first-liner.  Still a useful player, and at least he's a guy who you know will find the net at some point.  Yeah, he can have a cold spell where he'll only put up 2-3 goals in a 15-game stretch.  But then he'll pop in 12 over his next 20 or so.  He'll only let you down if you're expecting more out of him than you really should. 

Palms is the poster child for not executing. From simple passes to forgetting how to skate to not being able hit the broad side of a barn with a shot, when he’s cold he’s really bad. I also think his defensive game is vastly overrated. I’d trade him in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Palms is the poster child for not executing. From simple passes to forgetting how to skate to not being able hit the broad side of a barn with a shot, when he’s cold he’s really bad. I also think his defensive game is vastly overrated. I’d trade him in a heartbeat.

Huh? That’s literally the one thing he does do really well. He’s 2nd on the team in shooting % at 15.7. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Huh? That’s literally the one thing he does do really well. He’s 2nd on the team in shooting % at 15.7. 

Yeah I’m talking when he goes ice cold he looks like he’s never shot a puck before. When he’s hot  he’s hot.

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I know what he is talking about. When Palms is cold a good fraction of his shots seem to either go right into the crest or way wide to rattle around the boards and out of the zone.  Could be confirmation bias since it seems to happen at the worst times.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He does fall down a lot. But that's more funny than an indictment on his play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Go away, new guy! ::checks your profile:: oh sh!t you’ve been around since before I initially joined... uhhhhh.... go away, lurker! (Yeah that one works better!)

In all seriousness, though, and after sleeping on it, what would bother me about PDB, aside from my own dislike of him, is he’s another player’s coach with just as soft of an approach as DBA. I also didn’t like how he developed younger guys. Could things have changed? Maybe, but I doubt he has.

Haha yeah I do recall not liking how PDB handled young players, so maybe my not hating the idea of PDB is just based off of hating the fact we fired the head coach and kept all of his assistants and just wanting ANY full change and new voice in the locker room. I like that San Jose fired PDB and most of his long time assistants..that's a true changing of the guard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Haha yeah I do recall not liking how PDB handled young players, so maybe my not hating the idea of PDB is just based off of hating the fact we fired the head coach and kept all of his assistants and just wanting ANY full change and new voice in the locker room. I like that San Jose fired PDB and most of his long time assistants..that's a true changing of the guard. 

Absolutely. We all know the defense and the system itself is abysmal, the untrained eye can tell you that, yet Ray is sitting at the table sipping his coffee with the room ablaze around him, saying this is fine. An Inexperienced coach is one thing, adding incompetence to it is another, and that’s how I feel Nas is performing ever since he came here.

Shero needs to look in the mirror and see the roster he created...no new coach is going to toughen up these kids.. that's not who they are.. were soft by design, sheros design....vats, butcher,  green, pk., sevs?  Who scares anyone?  Hughes, nico, bratt,  are tasting boards more than scoring... woods and Simmonds are the only 2 who throw there weight around.. thi s fluff squad needs a strategy to counter the forechecks from hell...what's the answer , ray?

I don't know what Jim Montgomery did to get fired, but after seeing how the Stars played, that's exactly how I want the Devils playing. I'd take a chance on him as long as he could whip this team into that kind of shape. 

Actually, Butcher played under Montgomery in U of Denver. Maybe he could provide a reference to Shero

Edited by NewarkDevil5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m not about only goals. I’m ok with palms he is better than he costs. And my post was more about young boys.

btw palms plays like he played with zajac but with hall. He isn’t stable and quite often. It’s something that competent coach can help to change in his game.

Edited by Guadana

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I’m not about only goals. I’m ok with palms he is better than he costs. And my post was more about young boys.

I didn't say you were only about goals.  You implied that Palms' numbers not having gotten better was somehow a problem. 

Please don't post too much about "young boys", because put that way, you're sounding kinda "ewwwwwwwww"...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I couldn't disagree with his post more.  All players go through cold snaps and have ups and downs.  If there's one thing Palmieri has been known for, it's being extremely consistent, at least within an 82 game season.  He might have 10 games in a row where he's on fire, then 5 off, then 15 more solid, but who cares.  The season starts in October and ends in April.  It doesn't really matter if the guy scores 30 goals from October through January, and not much else in the latter part of the season, or vice versa.

25 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

I don't want Pete DeBoer because we already know what he brings and it wasn't good enough even with a fairly stacked San Jose team. I want a guy who says we need to change the culture of mediocrity in Dallas because a culture of mediocrity would be an improvement over what this NJ team currently has. 

Deboer would have been a better bridge coach..obviously.. he could give these players a much improved structure than they have now .. he has a decent system.. we aren't competing for a cup right now