GDT: Devils vs. Capitals, Friday 12/20/19, 7:00pm ET, Retro Night

mfitz804

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

He won't be traded until after February 16th because that's his bobblehead night but it sure would be fitting for this season to have a bobblehead night for a traded player lol

I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time it happened to a team

Either Subban is done or he's checked out. Whatever the case may be he's not performing and doesn't seem like he cares

• Like 1

Just now, '7' said:

We're starting to see with Shero...he's just a poor judge of talent. He's not a good GM and was really never a good GM. The team should have more talent on it than it does now. And yes we are still suffering from some of Lou's old mistakes but a lot more of this is now Shero's fault than it was before. I'm not saying he should be fired yet but at the end of next year if it still looks as bleak as it is now, he needs to go

I disagree he’s never been a good GM, but I do think his track record with defensemen is pretty poor. I trust him much more with forwards and goalies. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

I disagree he’s never been a good GM, but I do think his track record with defensemen is pretty poor. I trust him much more with forwards and goalies. 

Maybe, but I mean is Hischier developing like we expected him? I was thinking he'd be putting up more points than he is right now. Does Gusev have an NHL future? He brought Grabner in and he was trash. Bratt was a great find however and Palmieri was a good trade. Johansson totally fell apart as a player when he came here...though some bad injury luck is to blame.

I really just don't see him as the GM to get us to the next level. Shero at his best to me is...average

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

There are several first time full season ticket holders around me this season and with how this season is gone I don't blame any of them if they don't renew. Just sucks that this team started with the potential to lock in a lot of new people but have blown it with how this season has gone. 

Yeah it's having the stark opposite effect.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Maybe, but I mean is Hischier developing like we expected him? I was thinking he'd be putting up more points than he is right now. Does Gusev have an NHL future? He brought Grabner in and he was trash. Bratt was a great find however and Palmieri was a good trade. Johansson totally fell apart as a player when he came here...though some bad injury luck is to blame.

I really just don't see him as the GM to get us to the next level. Shero at his best to me is...average

Players not developing as well as you like them to (although I think Nico is pretty good most nights) is more of a coaching issue. But Shero has to answer for that because he’s obviously in charge of who’s behind the bench. 

Loyalty to underperforming coaches and lack of drafting and developing defensemen within our own system are my biggest beefs with Shero. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty much went as expected.

Yeah, though the first two periods were kinda competitive.

I’m not really annoyed, but I do get tired of the way teams like the Caps can just hit that “EASY” button whenever the mood strikes when they play the Devils.  Sometime it’s early in a game, sometimes during the second...and then you get a game like last night’s. 

And I get SH’s general frustration...it just sucks that this team and this season were basically toast by November.  Even some of the rotten 80s Devils could at least hang around into December (they’d usually fall apart sometime during that month).

If/when Shero can find a way to get Mr. Lindsey off this team, that will feel like a serious win.  I just don’t know how the hell he does it without retaining at least 2/3rds of his money, or giving up a decent body along with him.  But this is a PK + body (or pick) + eating money for a 6th round pick kind of deal.  Just to get him the fvck outta here.  There’s guys who give more in alumni games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I’d like a mirco post game interview. I want to hear his thoughts. Has he ever gave one? I assume some players are off limits. 

What can he really say though?  “I’m sorry that it turns out that I’m not any good, even though I was once a first-round draft pick?”

As long as he’s gone after this season, I’ll suck it up watching him for now.  But yeah, he sucks.

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

If I wasn't depressed enough they talked on the post game radio show about how we could have drafted Carlson over dog sh!t Tedneby. 

I wanted Carlson in that draft, he said he was a Devil's fan, idolised Stevens. Our scouts talked to him , seemed like a sure thing. Was absolutely gutted when we didn't pick him. 

I also liked Teddy, he just couldn't get over his small stature. He has had a decent career in the SHL. He's now in Switzerland with Davos. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea and they kind of, in a nice way, were like wtf were Lou and Conte thinking lol.

Well the "new" nhl meant we needed smaller players with skill. That Tedenby pick is the most un-Lou and Conte pick I could think of. Why oh why they chose that moment I'll never understand. Carlson was just waiting for us. 

8 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Did anybody else see the graphic in the post game where it showed the Caps with 27 scoring chances on 29 shots!! Absurd and almost impossible to believe, I've never seen anything remotely close to that.

Yeah pretty sure I had to choke back vomit on that one...

• Like 1

I mean the Caps are good. 

Not really harping too much on the game - what did we expect. 

But - I will say Blackwood continues to look really good. 

Subban - I was listening to 31 Thought Podcast yesterday and Elliote made a really good point on PK. Where he mentioned he talked to a source, who looked at knows PK and suggested someone might need to work with him on changing his training regimen. Look, if you follow him on Insta, you can see how hard that guy works on his training. Kudos to him. But someone said, if you watched him all summer, it's very power lifting heavy and he could be putting extra pounds on that is really slowing him down, especially with his age as a combinative factor. Friedman suggested someone may need to work with him on changing the way he trains, to lose some of the powerlifting muscle and lighten the load - so to speak. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, though the first two periods were kinda competitive.

I’m not really annoyed, but I do get tired of the way teams like the Caps can just hit that “EASY” button whenever the mood strikes when they play the Devils.  Sometime it’s early in a game, sometimes during the second...and then you get a game like last night’s. 

And I get SD’s general frustration...it just sucks that this team and this season were basically toast by November.  Even some of the rotten 80s Devils could at least hang around into December (they’d usually fall apart sometime during that month).

If/when Shero can find a way to get Mr. Lindsey off this team, that will feel like a serious win.  I just don’t know how the hell he does it without retaining at least 2/3rds of his money, or giving up a decent body along with him.  But this is a PK + body (or pick) + eating money for a 6th round pick kind of deal.  Just to get him the fvck outta here.  There’s guys who give more in alumni games.

whats my general frustration?

3 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I mean the Caps are good. 

Not really harping too much on the game - what did we expect. 

But - I will say Blackwood continues to look really good. 

Subban - I was listening to 31 Thought Podcast yesterday and Elliote made a really good point on PK. Where he mentioned he talked to a source, who looked at knows PK and suggested someone might need to work with him on changing his training regimen. Look, if you follow him on Insta, you can see how hard that guy works on his training. Kudos to him. But someone said, if you watched him all summer, it's very power lifting heavy and he could be putting extra pounds on that is really slowing him down, especially with his age as a combinative factor. Friedman suggested someone may need to work with him on changing the way he trains, to lose some of the powerlifting muscle and lighten the load - so to speak. 

I don't think PK's problem is something physical.His decision making has always been the problem. Lifting 400pounds 80 times a day won't make you smarter on the ice

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Subban really needs to go. Nashville absolutely knew he was done. Shero was played for a fool.

I have family in Nashville who are Predators fans and I watch enough of their games to have known Subban was no where near a #1 d-man when we made the trade (see my comments in the trade thread).  That being said, I don’t think it’s fair to say Shero was played as a fool.  Even with his decline, Subban should still at least be our best defenseman and he paid such a low price to acquire him.  Basically we gave up cap space for a few years where we’re not going to need it anyway so I think given the whole Taylor Hall situation, this was a move that needed to be made at the time.  I don’t think anyone could have predicted it would blow up this bad.  Where Shero absolutely deserves blame, Is for letting Hynes run this whole thing into the ditch and having no backup plan better than Nassridine 

Edited by Lateralous

His play is a continuation of what's been happening for a couple seasons now. I'm sticking with that ship has sailed and Ray while trying to help made a bad call it happens. 

I also struggle to understand when people say hey Poile and Shero are good friends so did he really try and rip him off? Hell yeah friends or not if someone is will to drastically over pay and it benefits your team he's gonna take the deal. What's the other option Poile says he look the guy's in serious decline so no thank you come back with a smaller offer I refuse to take your overpayment. Crazy talk.

Edited by titans04

FWIW PK is also in new territory for his career. He's always been a good offensive defenseman on good teams. He was able to play his high risk-high reward style of hockey. For the first time ever he's now on a sh!t team, with sh!t D partners, with shakey goaltending at best, and is probably being asked to play a conservative/stay at home style of defense he has never had to play before. Couple that with some decline in his game and the fact he is probably shouldering a fair amount of the blame, there you go. 

8 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I’d like a mirco post game interview. I want to hear his thoughts. Has he ever gave one? I assume some players are off limits. 

If the size of his head reflects the amount of thoughts he has, that would be too long of an interview to air. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

LOL Poile didn't rip Shero off, the worst part of the trade is Subban's cap number the next two seasons which won't really affect us.  And I think you guys are giving him too much credit in terms of the timing.  Subban was hurt last year, how would they know he'd crater when supposedly healthy after that?

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't think PK's problem is something physical.His decision making has always been the problem. Lifting 400pounds 80 times a day won't make you smarter on the ice

He didn't get any dumber presumably - and this is a guy who 2 years ago put up 59, hell I'd take last year's 39 or whatever it was. He didn't dumb his way into scoring that much. And he's still only 30. The point was given his age, it was a thought where - he has two years left on the deal - perhaps he needs to train differently for the last (presuming) 5-7 years of his career. Not so much strength, but for leaness and speed. 

Like I said - he didn't get dumber, lost a half a step - maybe. See what losing some pounds does.

If he could find a way to put up 40 points, I think we all would accept some mistakes here and there. it's when you don't get the points, then wtf are we doing?

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 10:31 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah she loves it...I kinda sorta gave "the surprise" away because I asked her last week if she already had any Hischiers (senior moment on my part, not sure why I couldn't remember that at the time), so she suspected that she was getting a Hischier jersey for Xmas...but she didn't know that she was getting it right before last night's game, and didn't know it would be a Heritage.  What's kinda scary is that an adult small now just about fits her (she's almost 5' 4")...it's a little long in sleeves, but fits pretty well otherwise.  And it's actually pretty well-made. 

We both rocked our Hischiers last night...I just got his pregame military jersey (won it through NHL Auctions...love this one, just wish that the crest was sewn on and not screened), and she wore her new Heritage.  Obviously I root for the whole team, but the guys I really root hardest for now are Palms (duh), Hischier, Coleman, and Blackwood.   I'll always have a soft spot for Zajac, and I keep crossing my fingers that Zacha will be a decent and useful NHLer, even if he's clearly never going to be anywhere near a star player.  The two who infuriate me on a regular basis are Minus Man and Mr. Lindsey.  Mirco "Mueller...Mueller...Mueller" isn't far behind.  Was fun watching Seves mix it up last night though.  When it first happened I had to do a double-take of his number. 

LOL sorry I was right about it being a Heritage game after all...don't know why it didn't show up as such on the promo list when I double-checked.  At least it wasn't too bad - as far as Heritage games go - till they gooned their way into the 4-on-4 of doom.  I gave Subban a bronx cheer for his secondary assist finally getting off the pointless schneid.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1