GDT: Devils @ Blue Jackets 7pm

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are they tanking or are they just this bad? 

He’s played in 232 NHL games. I think the age excuse should be put to rest. 

Well there’s a game tonight. CBJ isn’t very good either, but they actually just beat the Caps, and they always have our number anyway. Probably gets ugly tonight.  I would normally never miss a w

Posted Images

Devils should just wear the Heritage jerseys every game.  If they’re going to play like the 80s Devils, might as well look the part.

Pitchers and catchers report in about two months.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils should just wear the Heritage jerseys every game.  If they’re going to play like the 80s Devils, might as well look the part.

I mean, were the Devils ever really this easy to push around back in the day? At least they had Dano and some actual tough guys back then. 

It’s like this team has no identity. They’re supposed to be fast and skilled, but they hardly generate any offense whatsoever. They’re certainly not good defensively either. What a mess. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ray Shero already knows the team is bad and he knows that every personnel move he makes as the season goes along will on average make the team worse.  

But he needs to put Connor Chatham, JS Dea and Cory Schwab into the line up on night in night out basis before the true believers will accept it.

Edited by Daniel
5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bad. I don't think he intentionally built a bad team or didn't try to make the team better. Turns out  he made some bad moves in the end without intent. Hynes was terrible but Scotty Bowman isn't turning this roster around. And to your earlier comment, they are such a small and weak team and that seems to be a theme for so many years now I lost count. I can usually find some reason to watch even in the down years this year it's all about the size of the train wreck. 

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Plus those 80's unis look sharp. Might as well suck in style!

Edited by slasher72
4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Bad. I don't think he intentionally built a bad team or didn't try to make the team better. Turns out  he made some bad moves in the end without intent. Hynes was terrible but Scotty Bowman isn't turning this roster around. And to your earlier comment, they are such a small and weak team and that seems to be a theme for so many years now I lost count. I can usually find some reason to watch even in the down years this year it's all about the size of the train wreck. 

Columbus does not have a great roster.  (And according to a certain poster here their GM is terrible since he didn’t trade everyone on an expiring contract last year which is the number one job of every GM).  They have a coach who has proven that he can win at the NHL level, as much as smartass unathletic types think he’s not any good.  We have a coaching staff that has proven it doesn’t know what its doing.  You see the results.

A real coaching staff would not turn this team into world beaters, but to quote our GM, it would be able to complete five foot passes.  You should win more than 25 games a year if you can do that, but that’s not the plan now.

Again, I get it.  It makes sense to do it.  Just don’t insult my intelligence and say that Shero actually wants this team to win for the rest of the year.  And I don’t see the point in keeping him around much longer if the idea is just to keep drafting in the top five until the team starts winning.  I can just as easily be the GM and do the same thing and I’ll save the team a few bucks that it can donate to charity.  

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I mean, were the Devils ever really this easy to push around back in the day? At least they had Dano and some actual tough guys back then. 

It’s like this team has no identity. They’re supposed to be fast and skilled, but they hardly generate any offense whatsoever. They’re certainly not good defensively either. What a mess. 

Though I followed the Devils back then, I didn’t really get to watch them that much until 1987-88...once I got my license in August of 1987, I started driving myself to games...often going alone.

Those pre-1987-88 teams were bad and the Devils had decided that they weren’t going to follow the “the plan changes by the day” model of the Rockies (of course constantly changing ownership was a factor).  The Devils were committed to building slowly and deliberately.

Those “transition” teams did play hard, though it took time to cycle out the poor talent for young players with real potential (who then of course needed time themselves to develop).  Chico did everything he could to keep the kids from letting the constant losing get them down.

The current Devils...I do think they have a decent forward corp, but some of it needs some more seasoning.  The defense is an absolute mess.  The only guy I would keep is Vatanen...not that he’s awesome, and he’s not the most durable guy around, but I think he’s decent, and the Devils will definitely have the cap space to overpay him, as long as it doesn’t get silly.

I said this before, but the rest of the D could go and I wouldn’t shed a tear.  Sure, it’s obvious that Hynes Part Deux isn’t going to get much more out of this team and its D and I guess that you can argue someone else might be able to...but out of this group, I would love to see Mr. Lindsey, Minus Man, and Ferris Mueller hit the bricks.  The first guy needs to find a time machine and play for the 2000-01 Rangers (where he belongs), the second has had enough time to prove that he’s not good, and the third was a roll of the dice that didn’t work out.  If this was Sandy Alderson’s Mets, these three would get seemingly endless chances to fail here.  Greene won’t be here past the end of the season so I won’t kill him.  And overall he’s been better this season.

I remain hopeful with Blackwood.  I’d like to see Shero pick up a solid vet this offseason though.  Not sure who.  

7 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Plus those 80's unis look sharp. Might as well suck in style!

I do like the Heritage whites a lot...more than the current red and blacks.  I’d sign up for a return to the 1992-2017 red and black template immediately, but that won’t ever happen.  And now that Pandora’s Box has been opened, and that the current red and blacks are far from iconic, it won’t surprise me to see yet another uni refresh in a few years...perhaps to coincide with a Devils team that is TRULY ready to contend.  Just like the Xmas classics are associated with the meh years of the early Devils...the Picard Floaties will likely be remembered as “loser” jerseys too, years from now.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Columbus does not have a great roster.  (And according to a certain poster here their GM is terrible since he didn’t trade everyone on an expiring contract last year which is the number one job of every GM).  They have a coach who has proven that he can win at the NHL level, as much as smartass unathletic types think he’s not any good.  We have a coaching staff that has proven it doesn’t know what its doing.  You see the results.

A real coaching staff would not turn this team into world beaters, but to quote our GM, it would be able to complete five foot passes.  You should win more than 25 games a year if you can do that, but that’s not the plan now.

Again, I get it.  It makes sense to do it.  Just don’t insult my intelligence and say that Shero actually wants this team to win for the rest of the year.  And I don’t see the point in keeping him around much longer if the idea is just to keep drafting in the top five until the team starts winning.  I can just as easily be the GM and do the same thing and I’ll save the team a few bucks that it can donate to charity.  

People know Torts can coach, it's just he's easy to hate when he's not on your bench and his style has a shelf life.  Granted most coaches these days aren't lasting a decade with a team anyway but still, he clearly ran his course in his two other stops and is probably running his course there.

It's not that Shero needs the team to win per se, but I do think he'd at least like to see improvement from HIS drafted players (Blackwood, Nico, Hughes, Boqvist, etc) and HIS acquisitions (Subban, Gusev, etc) who are supposed to be part of the solution going forward.  He may not care if the team goes on some quixotic, futile stretch run at this point of the season but losing all the time - and more times than not in noncompetitive fashion - is counterproductive in the sense that it shows you really don't have much of sh!t here.  Hughes is currently on pace for one of the worst #1 OA rookie seasons in the last two decades, you think Shero wants that?  Subban looks like a fvcking joke, you think Shero needs that with two years left on his deal?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Shero feels the heat... he has to show something going forward.. lottery wins are not going to keep us happy.. this team was desperate coming into this year..gusev and pk were shots in the dark, but the only plays available.. he bet a ton on hall,  one of the best talents had his best year ever and willed us into the playoffs,  hardly a repeatable scenario and was full of false hope.. things are bad and ray knows it.. we aren't tanking by design.. but there's nothing else to do but lose.. merry Christmas 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

People know Torts can coach, it's just he's easy to hate when he's not on your bench and his style has a shelf life.  Granted most coaches these days aren't lasting a decade with a team anyway but still, he clearly ran his course in his two other stops and is probably running his course there.

It's not that Shero needs the team to win per se, but I do think he'd at least like to see improvement from HIS drafted players (Blackwood, Nico, Hughes, Boqvist, etc) and HIS acquisitions (Subban, Gusev, etc) who are supposed to be part of the solution going forward.  He may not care if the team goes on some quixotic, futile stretch run at this point of the season but losing all the time - and more times than not in noncompetitive fashion - is counterproductive in the sense that it shows you really don't have much of sh!t here.  Hughes is currently on pace for one of the worst #1 OA rookie seasons in the last two decades, you think Shero wants that?  Subban looks like a fvcking joke, you think Shero needs that with two years left on his deal?

Ordinarily those things would be issues.  But the owners absolutely love the guy.  

Hughes is helped out by the fact that there aren’t any picks from his draft class who are lighting it up in the NHL and none even who give the sense that they’ll be another Makar or Pettersson.   The organization also loves useless analytics types who all swear that Hughes’ fake stats show that he’s “dominating possession” and other such nonsense.  

It can’t go on forever, of course.  Very simple, Shero needs to get the next coach right.  I think even our owners who don’t mind losing and see utility in it are going to pull the plug by this time next year if the results are the same.  And yes, they and all of us are aware of the “context”.

EDIT: and @Colorado Rockies 1976  what seems clear to me is that at least one of Butcher and Vatanen will not be on the team next year.   All you have to do is look at the last draft and the Hall trade to realize that Shero wants a big heavy defense to take shape in the near future.  At most, it’s going to have two undersized types, one of whom will be Ty Smith.  

So if it’s me, I’d rather trade Vatanen and hopefully use the return to trade for a real player in the offseason like the Rangers did for Trouba.  Maybe Dylan Samberg if he threatens to go the Adam Fox route.  I like Vats, but someone is going to give him at least five years, and I don’t think he’s good enough that he makes a team a lot better than it would be.

Edited by Daniel

Devils Defense this season --- Greene - Vatanen - Subban - Severson - Butcher - Mueller - Carrick - Tennyson 

Who do you really want the Devils keep? 

Realistically Vatanen isn't staying.. so Devils need to replace the entire defense

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You have no idea. Points per season never exceeded 65.  They didn't really start gelling until 1988.  Early years were tough but they had strong fan support.

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

They have zero confidence, think too much and that takes too much time, try so much they make dumb mistakes and imo most importantly, they forgot how to focus and have fun. They were, and once again, bipolar...one extreme or the other.  Lots of patience is needed by fans...again imnsho

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Nicomo said:

These guys can't keep it in our zone, they cough it up. Be hard on the damn puck. Nico's getting very good at it.  Zacha/Woody fall down.  Came to realization Zacha is what he is, Wood is what he is, Boquist/gusev need time/space to get a shot off. Hells bells doesn't everybody?

14 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Anyone think Sarge might be ready to move up?

Nope.  Heaven forbid he doesn't have instant success.  If he is smart he will stay where he is.  Potential hate from a chunk of this fanbase would be horrible.

• Like 1