Devils All-Decade Lists: Favorite / Least Favorite / Most Talented

DevsMan84

Marty ran over your puppy if you put him #1 on your list of least favorite players over the likes of some of the absolute dog sh*t players we have watched this decade, especially since 2013. At least Marty helped us make it to the finals in 2012. 

I don't really feel like doing a list at the moment but just to add a name that I haven't seen on the least favorite players but Michael Grabner makes my list. Guy came to a team trying to make the playoffs and played like he absolutely didn't want to be here and eventually got healthy scratched. Hopefully he remains the first and last time we make a trade with the Rangers. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

As #1? Your least favorite thing about the Devils this decade was 3.5 seasons of "league average" Martin Brodeur, including a pretty great playoff run that would've likely ended with a cup if Mark fvcking Fayne doesn't shank that shot?

Oh. Mark Fayne. forgot to put him on my list. fvck that guy. 

That puck was bouncing a bit so it wasn't an easy slam dunk play but I'm sure he has just as many nightmares about that play as we do. I'm also in the camp of that I think we win the cup if we win that first game. 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

As #1? Your least favorite thing about the Devils this decade was 3.5 seasons of "league average" Martin Brodeur, including a pretty great playoff run that would've likely ended with a cup if Mark fvcking Fayne doesn't shank that shot?

If it makes you feel better, you can move Wood to #1 but frankly MB is the first one that came to mind when I saw this.    

In 2010, he sucked again in the playoffs, after a string of rough playoffs, which is tough when you live in Philly.   The 2012 playoff run was a blast and MB played pretty well after some early issues vs the Panthers.  All that aside, it was his attitude that left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like his throwing a tantrum after getting pulled early against the Panthers.  Didn't like anything about the 13-14 season.   Didn't like him not even mentioning NJ at his retirement in St Louis.  Listen, I loved watching the dude earlier in his career and I spent summers learning to play the puck because of him but yeah, late career Brodeur was really hard to take.   

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

If it makes you feel better, you can move Wood to #1 but frankly MB is the first one that came to mind when I saw this.    

In 2010, he sucked again in the playoffs, after a string of rough playoffs, which is tough when you live in Philly.   The 2012 playoff run was a blast and MB played pretty well after some early issues vs the Panthers.  All that aside, it was his attitude that left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like his throwing a tantrum after getting pulled early against the Panthers.  Didn't like anything about the 13-14 season.   Didn't like him not even mentioning NJ at his retirement in St Louis.  Listen, I loved watching the dude earlier in his career and I spent summers learning to play the puck because of him but yeah, late career Brodeur was really hard to take.   

That whole team sh!t the bed in 2010, they scored 1 goal in game 1 and game 4 and got shutout at home in game 5. 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Not #1.  I should have clarified that before.  Probably in the 7-10 range.

Outside of about 40-50 game stretch in 11-12 season he was meh to terrible.  Then there was that flopping performance on national TV at the Stadium Series game which was then followed by him huffing and puffing to the media about Cory getting more starts than him.

Also, I just personally never liked him.  I respect his accomplishments and he was a great goaltender, but he just never personally endeared himself to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I think you have a point here on everything but 2010 playoffs.  He was not alone in how that series played out.  It seemed like Kovy was the only one wanting to win that one while the rest of the team all looked like the one-step slower team they looked in the 09 and 08 playoffs.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think you have a point here on everything but 2010 playoffs.  He was not alone in how that series played out.  It seemed like Kovy was the only one wanting to win that one while the rest of the team all looked like the one-step slower team they looked in the 09 and 08 playoffs.

Fair enough.  You brought up another good one with the stadium series, what a disaster. 

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a bash fest of Brodeur, it's just that the portion of his career that fell within the last decade really rubbed me the wrong way.    

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

That puck was bouncing a bit so it wasn't an easy slam dunk play but I'm sure he has just as many nightmares about that play as we do. I'm also in the camp of that I think we win the cup if we win that first game. 

I actually don't remember that play even after having just seen the replay...what I remember is Bernier's major for boarding and them scoring three goals on the ensuing powerplay.  To me that was the turning point and cost us the Cup. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I actually don't remember that play even after having just seen the replay...what I remember is Bernier's major for boarding and them scoring three goals on the ensuing powerplay.  To me that was the turning point and cost us the Cup. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Losing both games at home in OT was the turning point and losing game 3 was the nail in the coffin. It was great that we forced it to 6 games but I never expected them to win 4 straight after going down 3-0 in the series. 

Hell, it was amazing we even forced it to a game 6 considering "the Devils became the first club since the Detroit Red Wings in 1945 to come back from a 3-0 deficit in the Cup Finals to force a game six" 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, MB3 said:

The devils were down 3-2 in the series at that point. The turning point had already happened.

I guess you could say that, but it's not at all like we were down 3-0 or even 3-1....3-2 you're still very much alive. That's how I remember feeling heading into that game.  And then when he got that major penalty I just felt like the wind was taken out of us, and it was too large of a hole to climb out of.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I guess you could say that, but it's not at all like we were down 3-0 or even 3-1....3-2 you're still very much alive. That's how I remember feeling heading into that game.  And then when he got that major penalty I just felt like the wind was taken out of us, and it was too large of a hole to climb out of.

We were down 3-0......there's a reason only 4 teams have ever come back from that, because it's insanely hard to do so. 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

We were down 3-0......there's a reason only 4 teams have ever come back from that, because it's insanely hard to do so. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

We were down both 3-0 and 3-1, though..

That's what I mean though, whatever the series was early on, we came back and were within a game of them - prior to the start of Game 6, you could make the argument that we had reason to believe we could tie the series up and force a game 7 where it essentially becomes a coin flip, but once that major penalty happened, forget about it.  That was my point. 

I get what you're saying too, it's just hard for me to say a turning point in the series happened towards the beginning, when we ended up keeping it close and extending it. 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, MB3 said:

There's insanity, and then there's "Martin Brodeur was my least favorite Devils player this decade."

This fvcking forum sometimes, lmao. 

It was the end of his career. Saying he's the least favorite is a bit much but from 2010 to his last day as a Devils before embarrassing himself in St. Louis Brodeur had a lot of bad performances. In a perfect world he retires after the 2012 finals but that didn't happen

4 hours ago, '7' said:

It was the end of his career. Saying he's the least favorite is a bit much but from 2010 to his last day as a Devils before embarrassing himself in St. Louis Brodeur had a lot of bad performances. In a perfect world he retires after the 2012 finals but that didn't happen

It’s still surprising that he would make anyone’s short list. We had a lot of scrubs and busts over the last decade...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, '7' said:

His decline happened in 2010 and from that point on, including 2012, his numbers were pretty consistent. Consistently not great, but still. 

I’m not capable of taking possibly the best player we ever had and discarding the first 18 or so years of his career and saying from 2010 on, he was my least favorite player. 

I don’t care what rules you use or how you limit it. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 11:45 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Marty ran over your puppy if you put him #1 on your list of least favorite players over the likes of some of the absolute dog sh*t players we have watched this decade, especially since 2013. At least Marty helped us make it to the finals in 2012. 

I don't really feel like doing a list at the moment but just to add a name that I haven't seen on the least favorite players but Michael Grabner makes my list. Guy came to a team trying to make the playoffs and played like he absolutely didn't want to be here and eventually got healthy scratched. Hopefully he remains the first and last time we make a trade with the Rangers. 

Not saying I disagree, but the MB30 stuff did rub a lot of people the wrong way at the time, as did some of the post-Cory trade drama in 2014 with Marty.  Plus big name players inspire more emotion than the Grabners of the world.  Though in no universe should Marty be the most hated on any list that includes a guy who cost us contract penalties AND jaked it during almost half his tenure with us AND walked out on the remade contract to go to Russia.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1